JJT: Mental, physical toughness keys Cowboys' run to playoffs

By the end of the year it was coming together. Early in the year it was inconsistent. I don't disagree Pollack is doing a good job. Of course he has great talent.

smh
 
I am serious. He is a small part of why we are not 3-13. He is a good rah rah guy, who has been effective this year, but he is not untouchable.

I don't know who we replace him with...I'd look at Dennis Allen for sure.
Dennis Allen would be good.

Mike Smith is probably going to get fired, he was a good DC before getting the ATL job.

Dennis Thurman could be available when Rex Ryan and his staff are fired.

Not sure about his contract situation, but Steve Spagnuolo could be available for a promotion back to DC (he's currently the secondary coach of the Ravens).
 
Last edited:
I kinda am not really a fan of the Tampa 2 so I would welcome another DC, honestly.

I mean, I'm not running Marinelli out of town -- he's gotten these guys to play above their heads and I want to keep that going.

But if he does leave -- I think we can find a better scheme, one that is more physical.
 
I kinda am not really a fan of the Tampa 2 so I would welcome another DC, honestly.

I mean, I'm not running Marinelli out of town -- he's gotten these guys to play above their heads and I want to keep that going.

But if he does leave -- I think we can find a better scheme, one that is more physical.
I wouldn't even mind switching back to the 3-4. It's not like we've made any big 4-3 investments that we can't back away from.
 
I kinda am not really a fan of the Tampa 2 so I would welcome another DC, honestly.

I mean, I'm not running Marinelli out of town -- he's gotten these guys to play above their heads and I want to keep that going.

We aren't really running the Tampa 2.
 
I wouldn't even mind switching back to the 3-4. It's not like we've made any big 4-3 investments that we can't back away from.

IMO, Crawford is our most promising long-term defensive player, and he fits in much better as a 3-technique in the 4-3 than as a 3-4 DE.
 
I think he could play either. He was drafted to be a 3-4 DE in the first place.

He's thriving as a 3-technique. If you go 3-4, you limit his potential as a dynamic playmaker in favor of gaining weight and holding the line.

IMO a 3-4 DE should be around 300 and Tyrone is a good 15 pounds shy of that.

He could be that guy if you found a massive NT, at least 320 to play aside him and a 300 pounder as the other DE.

I think the 3-4 works best when most of the league is playing 4-3. Otherwise 4-3 is the way to go.
 
He's thriving as a 3-technique. If you go 3-4, you limit his potential as a dynamic playmaker in favor of gaining weight and holding the line.

IMO a 3-4 DE should be around 300 and Tyrone is a good 15 pounds shy of that.

He could be that guy if you found a massive NT, at least 320 to play aside him and a 300 pounder as the other DE.

That's what we screwed up for years, keeping Ratliff at NT when you really need a Ted Washington type NT to make a 3-4 dominant.

I don't really want to go back to the 3-4, anyway, just saying I'm not married to the 4-3 and I mostly just want the best coach going forward.
 
That's what we screwed up for years, keeping Ratliff at NT when you really need a Ted Washington type NT to make a 3-4 dominant.

I don't really want to go back to the 3-4, anyway, just saying I'm not married to the 4-3 and I mostly just want the best coach going forward.

It was utterly asinine, and then they got stubborn and stuck with it to make it worse. Ratliff could have been an all-time great as a 4-3 3-technique. Ware would have been just fine as a 4-3 DE.

In any case they needed to find a bigger guy to cement the 1-technique. They're still looking for that guy (I hope).
 
It was utterly asinine, and then they got stubborn and stuck with it to make it worse. Ratliff could have been an all-time great as a 4-3 3-technique. Ware would have been just fine as a 4-3 DE.

In any case they needed to find a bigger guy to cement the 1-technique. They're still looking for that guy (I hope).

I wish. They'll probably just annoint Brent as the guy and not bring in anyone to compete.
 
Back
Top Bottom