Simpleton
DCC 4Life
- Joined
- Apr 8, 2013
- Messages
- 24,421
You can't say we aren't pulling out all the stops for this must-win game...
I'll be honest, I'm not an Alcaraz fan. I don't really enjoy most of the players these days because of the changes years ago... the poly strings, the slowing down of the courts, etc. Too much just slugging back and forth without accomplishing anything IMO, and there aren't the different styles like you used to get with a Sampras-Agassi type match. It kind of drives me nuts how none of these guys can volley anymore. Like at all.
That said, I thought a few years ago that Alcaraz would be the easy #1 by now because he is so talented. To me, he's almost like a little more well-rounded and more efficient Nadal, or could be. And he's faster and has better touch. One thing I do like is how much he uses the drop shot, which to me was always underused. But yeah, incredibly gifted. It has to be only his head holding him back a bit, maybe just maturity, or he'd be the best right now. So maybe a new coach is a good idea to harness and direct all that talent. There is that Spanish desire for flair that might always be there, though.
Who else do you like? I don't follow it much but I do like the guys who are a little different. I kind of enjoy watching Medvedev just because he is so gangly and not such a machine, has that totally flat backhand. I kind of like Musetti (IIRC?) because I like how he has a decent variety of shots and actually slices his backhand a lot. I'll watch anyone for a bit who has a great one-handed backhand.
Sorry to the board but if this works it's pregame tennis the rest of the year.![]()
That's an interesting take for sure, I wasn't old enough or aware enough to really know what was going on in tennis in the 80's/90's, but piecing together what I hear now it definitely sounds like all the variation of the past is gone and it's basically just slugging it out from the baseline like you say.
I think Alcaraz is definitely the best player in the world, he's just not the most consistent so Sinner can pip him in the rankings, but when they play H2H Alcaraz is pretty clearly the better player and I think the fact that he already has more Grand Slams, plus being the youngest ever for the career Slam makes that pretty obvious.
But Sinner, for as much as I respect his game, is exactly what you're saying the game has become. Just pure blasting from the baseline, big serves, struggles at the net and coming forward, although he's getting better because Alcaraz has forced him to do so. If not for Alcaraz he'd be more than happy to just obliterate guys from the baseline with long rallies.
I don't really have favorite, I love watching Alcaraz/Sinner when they play because they're so clearly above everybody else, they push each other so much and they're actually contrasts of each other. I also like Tsitsipas and Musetti just because there are no one handed backhands anymore and I think 20-30 years ago they'd have been top 5 consistently. Tsitsipas was top 5 for like 3-4 years straight up until about two years ago, but his career is the most obvious example of a guy who plays great classic tennis but the fact that he has a one handed backhand holds him back with all these extended baseline rallies.

