2026 Season | Week 3 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Ravens @ Cowboys (Rio) | 09/27/2026

Funny, but big picture this morning, I'm less mad at Schottenheimer, not more.

Was he to blame for last night, sure... He among others. But will anything change with the next guy? Nope. It'll just be another HC like him.

Will the next guy be hired because he's truly the best coach on the market? Nope.

Will he be able to practice the players as hard as possible in camp and get them ready in preseason games? Nope.

Will he be able to fire an obviously awful coordinator? Nope.

Will he change the brain trust's latest pet projects, like trading mid round picks for players other teams are getting rid of? Nope.

He'll just be the next stooge taking the bullets for Jerry on tough days Iike this one.

Happy Monday.

Obviously Jerry's demented way of running the team is the root of all this and he deserves 90% of the blame, but you can still call Schottenheimer out for being a completely incompetent buffoon, just like Garrett was.

But no, you can't blame Schottenheimer for being hired just because he's a buffoon, that's on Jerry for hiring a guy literally no other team would even consider hiring.
 
I guess but what do you think he's accomplished? Quinn got to a conference championship in Washington and it's more than Cohen has ever done but wgaf. You can't just go by one year.

Meanwhile people shit all over McCarthy and he has ten times the resume.

Do you people really think Cohen would have come in here and won 13 games? Please.

McCarthy is a good HC, he won a SB and 85% of the guys in the league right now won't ever do that. The issue is that he had seemingly ran his course here with how the GB playoff game went and it was better to roll the dice on someone else.

The issue is that "someone else" should've been someone that was actually a legitimate HC prospect, not a joke hire like Schottenheimer who hadn't been interviewed for a HC role in 15 years.
 
The issue is that "someone else" should've been someone that was actually a legitimate HC prospect, not a joke hire like Schottenheimer who hadn't been interviewed for a HC role in 15 years.
This I do agree with. If you just have to replace McCarthy, at least make sure the new guy is a legitimate coach. Shotty has now proven without a doubt in my mind, he ain't it.
 
He wouldn't have done that here.

Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know, but I'm fairly certain Schottenheimer wouldn't have won the division in Jacksonville in his first year either, and probably not ever.

I think people are forgetting just how ridiculous a hire Schottenheimer was. I gave it a bit of time just because you might as well see how it goes, but it was one of the worst hires in the league in the last 10-20 years in terms of a guy that nobody else would even consider.

It'd be like if we fired Schottenheimer after this season and then went out and hired Patrick Graham or some other coordinator that got interest once upon a time 5 years ago, but who is barely hanging on as a coordinator.
 
I think people are forgetting just how ridiculous a hire Schottenheimer was. I gave it a bit of time just because you might as well see how it goes, but it was one of the worst hires in the league in the last 10-20 years in terms of a guy that nobody else would even consider.
It was always only acceptable in the context of Jerry's absurd limitations. If you limit the candidates to cheap, comfortable, convenient hires, he was fine. If you're operating like a team that actually puts winning as its top priority, yes, it was totally ridiculous.

As always when discussing this circus, there are two different frameworks: What we as fans who value putting the best possible team on the field would do, and what Jerry with his fucked up other priorities will do.
 
I actually feel better about the team today. Yeah they fucked it up ten ways to Sunday yesterday, but they look like they're much better this year than last year.

During the week I said we'll be in good shape if we end up splitting Baltimore/Houston and if the defense looks halfway competent against the Ravens.

They definitely looked halfway competent despite all the secondary injuries, and there's a pretty good chance they beat Houston, but I didn't expect to see one of the most incompetent coaching performances since about 2013 Jason Garrett icing his own kicker.

That alone tells me there's no way this team can do anything except stumble to some sort of 10-7 playoff berth and maybe luck into winning a first round game if they get lucky with the opponent, so what's even the point?
 
Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know, but I'm fairly certain Schottenheimer wouldn't have won the division in Jacksonville in his first year either, and probably not ever.

I think people are forgetting just how ridiculous a hire Schottenheimer was. I gave it a bit of time just because you might as well see how it goes, but it was one of the worst hires in the league in the last 10-20 years in terms of a guy that nobody else would even consider.

It'd be like if we fired Schottenheimer after this season and then went out and hired Patrick Graham or some other coordinator that got interest once upon a time 5 years ago, but who is barely hanging on as a coordinator.


No, we know. That was a bad roster last year. We're not talking about the second coming of Vince Lombardi here.
 
I actually feel better about the team today. Yeah they fucked it up ten ways to Sunday yesterday, but they look like they're much better this year than last year.
I don't know if they're much better, but at least we didn't get steamrolled by Henry going for 250 or something. The 2/1.5 gap run defense actually mostly worked, which was nice. Better than last year when backs were gashing us for 150 and barely getting touched the first 8-10 yards.
 
I actually feel better about the team today. Yeah they fucked it up ten ways to Sunday yesterday, but they look like they're much better this year than last year.
I feel better about the players, for sure. I don't feel better about the team simply because the coach will be the same for the rest of the year. But, without a doubt, the players (especially the defense) are playing their asses off.
 
I don't know if they're much better, but at least we didn't get steamrolled by Henry going for 250 or something. The 2/1.5 gap run defense actually mostly worked, which was nice. Better than last year when backs gashing us for 150 and barely getting touched.

Offense is the same, which is still usually elite but kind of uneven, defense is better but it remains to be seen by how much.

Coaching is still incompetent, maybe even more so, so I doubt the results are significantly different.

I'm thinking 8-9 or 9-8.
 
I felt hypocritical as shit watch that sequence of plays. I was screaming slow down, and then a play later (after that Keystone Cops run off of at least 20 seconds) was screaming GET TO THE FUCKING LINE AND SNAP THE BALL! The players were confused because the HC was on over his head and had no idea what to do in that situation. Unacceptable.

Well yeah...I think that's what most of us where thinking, to be fair.

Take SOME time off the clock so we don't leave the Ravens enough of it to do anything meaningful. But then they just went overboard with it and took off 15-20 seconds than they should have and that's what ultimately fucked us once we got in a goal-to-go position.
 
I think the defense, specifically, is exponentially better than last year.

It's better, I don't know about exponentially, but it's definitely better even with all the early season injuries.

You'd think this organization's dumbass brain trust could make the leap in logic that if the defense is better, but the results are largely the same, maybe the HC should go?

But there's a better chance this turd gets all 4 years and is here through the 2028 season than of him getting fired after this year.
 
Oh you can Brady Bottle Lock that he is getting the full 4 years.

No matter how much we have to suffer through it.
 
It was a bad loss because of how it ended, but there is good to be gleaned from this game. Some hope we may have a good young (at least defensive) roster to have hope for in the future. I'm headed to work. Have a good day, boys.
 
I think the defense, specifically, is exponentially better than last year.
I do think it will be much better. The problem now is injuries.

But to me it was always about just making progress to competent this year, then maybe actually being above average to pretty good next year.
 
Back
Top Bottom