2026 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

You're not wrong but I will say that it was at least average in the second half yesterday and that was a big reason we won. So we're seeing some glimpses, hopefully it continues.

But yeah the jury is still out on Saint Parker.

There are glimpses, nowhere near average yet but I'm seeing enough to be cautiously optimistic.

13 of their 30 points yesterday came directly off shit ST/coaching decisions.

They got two FG's off our blocked/missed FG's where they only moved the ball about 15 yards or so before kicking, and then they got a TD off a kickoff return that gave them the ball at our 35ish.

If the defense hadn't gotten fooled on the trick play and gotten the stop there I think people would be pretty enthused about how they played.
 
If the defense hadn't gotten fooled on the trick play and gotten the stop there I think people would be pretty enthused about how they played.

The trick play was well executed. A hair slower and they don't get that pitch off. Of course if Reddy Steward was even in the ball park covering the guy who got the pitch it also would have been different.
 
It was/is fashionable to say "our defense needs to be average" but really what we need this year at least, is to be good on the important drives. I'm seeing a lot of bad defense around the league on teams that are considered good and they have less offensive firepower than us by a long ways. But they are making plays when it really matters etc. I think that kind of defense is possible for us this year, as the season goes on.

edited to add: what is an important drive? When our coach decides to go for a 65 yard field goal that inevitably misses, and the other team gets the ball at our 45. Can we hold them to a field goal instead of giving up a touchdown.
 
It was/is fashionable to say "our defense needs to be average" but really what we need this year at least, is to be good on the important drives. I'm seeing a lot of bad defense around the league on teams that are considered good and they have less offensive firepower than us by a long ways. But they are making plays when it really matters etc. I think that kind of defense is possible for us this year, as the season goes on.

Situational defense.

Once we get some of these safeties back and aren't playing fucking Reddy Steward and Markquese Bell for 50 snaps a game I think we'll be fine.
 
Yea I think we can put to bed any concern that he isn't his usual elite self.

Yep, may have been adjusting to the scheme, may have been the scheme adjusting to him. Either way he is starting to come alive again. Now we just need to win this short week and get healthy. Once we really integrate Porter in full time on defense I'm hoping it all starts to click. It isn't there yet but this offense buys us time.
 
You're not wrong but I will say that it was at least average in the second half yesterday and that was a big reason we won. So we're seeing some glimpses, hopefully it continues.

But yeah the jury is still out on Saint Parker.
I'm just glad we aren't getting absolutely gashed in the run anymore. These secondary mistakes I think will eventually be cleaned up, but you can't play defense when they just hand it off and get seven or eight yards before the back is even touched.
 
I'm just glad we aren't getting absolutely gashed in the run anymore. These secondary mistakes I think will eventually be cleaned up, but you can't play defense when they just hand it off and get seven or eight yards before the back is even touched.

This is absolutely true. You let the other team control the clock like that and your offense never gets a chance. The Giants game felt a little like that but we have been much better ever since. A big part of that in my opinion has been Barhammer who just wrecks shop sometimes.
 
I'm just glad we aren't getting absolutely gashed in the run anymore. These secondary mistakes I think will eventually be cleaned up, but you can't play defense when they just hand it off and get seven or eight yards before the back is even touched.

This is why I think the defense is a good bit better than last year.

The pass defense is still ass, but it's understandable given the injuries similar to last year, and I think it'll improve as Porter is integrated and the safeties come back. What's not understandable or defensible is letting JK Dobbins and Rico Dowdle pop off for 150 fucking yards averaging 7 YPC.
 
Yeah to start the game I was about ready to throw Parker in the trash. I'm ok with completions against contested catches. But when guys are wide open it drives me nuts. The second half we at least appeared to be playing much tighter. Texans were having to dive for the ball to make catches

Yeah, I was ready to fire everyone after that 1st half :lol

I will say this about the staff that was a bit encouraging -- there were adjustments made on both sides of the ball in the second half that improved the play by both units.

I'm no fan of Schotty and I still have a lot of doubts about Parker, but if a coach is capable of recognizing what needs to change, especially in the middle of a game, then that coach isn't hopeless.

Jason Garrett was hopeless.

Schotty and Parker showed me yesterday that there's hope that they can at least be serviceable, but obviously we're hoping for more than that.

But if you're gonna dog the shit out of them when they're bad (and I certainly do), then you gotta give them their props when they do something right. And that second half yesterday was easily their best effort so far into the season.
 
The pass defense is still ass, but it's understandable given the injuries similar to last year

This team when trailing is actually getting stops to get us back in games. Last year it felt like once we trailed it was game over. Probably because teams could just hand the ball off over and over to run the clock out.
 
You're not wrong but I will say that it was at least average in the second half yesterday and that was a big reason we won. So we're seeing some glimpses, hopefully it continues.

But yeah the jury is still out on Saint Parker.
Teams come out with scripted gameplans against us that work. It then takes us forever to adjust and get a stop.

Yesterday we finally did, and I think Porter helped a lot, even if it was just by funneling everything to Bland he kept them from being as dynamic an offense.
 
I'm no fan of Schotty and I still have a lot of doubts about Parker, but if a coach is capable of recognizing what needs to change, especially in the middle of a game, then that coach isn't hopeless.

Jason Garrett was hopeless.


Right, exactly, which is why it was always an inapt comparison.

What was Garrett's record when losing at halftime? Something like 1-25,000 or whatever?

I have big doubts about Schottenheimer at this point but he's not Garrett.
 
The other problem is Winters. Who plays with zero physicality.
He's been a stiff on too many plays. I can see why the 49ers didn't care to let him go.

I'm much more disappointed in Overshown, whom I keep hoping returns to what he showed in 2024. Hamstring injuries usually suck and nag at you, but I still hope he can overcome it.

The pairing of Overshown and Barham behind Quinnen Williams should be a mainstay for us.

And I understand he's trying to keep his head above water rn, but Parker needs to carve out time to develop Lawrence. 17 and 20 snaps last two games... is it enough for Lawrence to adapt and improve?

Barham's clearly making an impact and Downs as well. Lawrence looks lost by comparison. Yes, pass rush numbers don't develop overnight, but we need help on our outside run defense as well.
 
Right, exactly, which is why it was always an inapt comparison.

What was Garrett's record when losing at halftime? Something like 1-25,000 or whatever?

I have big doubts about Schottenheimer at this point but he's not Garrett.

Google said that wasnt a recorded stat during Garrett's whole tenure. It did give his record when trailing at halftime for his final 2 years and it was 1-13.

Has Shott beat that already?
 
Google said that wasnt a recorded stat during Garrett's whole tenure. It did give his record when trailing at halftime for his final 2 years and it was 1-13.

Has Shott beat that already?
Yes
 
Back
Top Bottom