2025 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another DT note, I hope we can keep Golston somehow. He played really well last year. Any guesses on what he'd get?

Yeah he is a tough one. I'd like him back on a Armstrong type 2 year deal. Nothing big. Maybe 2 years for 12 mil. But anything more and I'm really just probably going to let him go. These guys who take a few years to develop, you hate to let them go when they finally reach their potential but he also is never going to be an impact D-lineman. Just sort of a rock steady guy.

I think he is way more of a DE than a DT though. Guys like Sam Williams and Kneeland are just going to have to step up and fill those roles.
 
Yeah he is a tough one. I'd like him back on a Armstrong type 2 year deal. Nothing big. Maybe 2 years for 12 mil. But anything more and I'm really just probably going to let him go. These guys who take a few years to develop, you hate to let them go when they finally reach their potential but he also is never going to be an impact D-lineman. Just sort of a rock steady guy.

I think he is way more of a DE than a DT though. Guys like Sam Williams and Kneeland are just going to have to step up and fill those roles.
Fair enough, but rock steady is an upgrade from letting everyone go. We're going to run out of bodies, especially if Lawrence is (hopefully) gone.

I do think Golston can play inside at least on passing downs.
 
If we let Osa go I think we have to re-sign (or sign) two DL at least.

Maybe that's Golston and Lawrence, maybe that an external guy who played under Eberflus somewhere else, but they have to sign some guys who can actually play.

I think Golston can rotate on the interior in clear passing situations so you have some cover for the hole Osa would leave.

5-6/year for him seems right.
 
Fair enough, but rock steady is an upgrade from letting everyone go. We're going to run out of bodies, especially if Lawrence is (hopefully) gone.

I do think Golston can play inside at least on passing downs.

He is a guy you want on the roster. Maybe no as your starter anywhere on the D-line but I think the type of guy that you can feel good about rotating in situationally and can play a bunch of snaps if someone gets hurt. I want Golston back. I'm just conditioned by this teams spending habits to know we will let some guys walk.
 
Yeah he is a tough one. I'd like him back on a Armstrong type 2 year deal. Nothing big. Maybe 2 years for 12 mil. But anything more and I'm really just probably going to let him go. These guys who take a few years to develop, you hate to let them go when they finally reach their potential but he also is never going to be an impact D-lineman. Just sort of a rock steady guy.

I think he is way more of a DE than a DT though. Guys like Sam Williams and Kneeland are just going to have to step up and fill those roles.


I'm wary of making him another Crawford and then we're stuck with a guy who is overpaid and incapable of stepping up but also his contract keeps us from spending to upgrade him.

I'd like him back though.
 
I'm wary of making him another Crawford and then we're stuck with a guy who is overpaid and incapable of stepping up but also his contract keeps us from spending to upgrade him.

I'd like him back though.

Yeah and that's why I'd like to mostly focus on him at DE. I think sometimes we delay the development of guys like this by one year playing him at 3 tech and asking him to get up to 290 and then the next wanting him in the 270's to play end. I think he is a good solid all around DE. Sure you can use him as an inside pass rusher on passing downs but let him be a DE.
 
I'm wary of making him another Crawford and then we're stuck with a guy who is overpaid and incapable of stepping up but also his contract keeps us from spending to upgrade him.

I'd like him back though.

Crawford got 8 or 9 per year like 10 years ago, the equivalent of that today is probably at least 12-13, and Golston shouldn't get more than half that.
 
Crawford got 8 or 9 per year like 10 years ago, the equivalent of that today is probably at least 12-13, and Golston shouldn't get more than half that.

Yeah he got 9 mil a year. Translate that to 10 years later and that's probably closer to Osa money than it is to Golston money.

How much has the cap gone up over 10 years? It's basically doubled. So 9 back than is closer to 18 today.
 
Osa finished 3rd in the league amongst DT's in QB hits, he basically had the same stats across the board as Jalen Carter, Gallimore should never be brought up in th same sentence.
Except for Carter’s three forced fumbles, which is big time production wrt that stat.

Osa had more tackles too. But DT is also about creating pressure by forcing the OL backwards or holding the line. This is where I see Osa as average.
Why would you sign early?
Cash. In your pocket. Today.

Could be injured or otherwise lose effectiveness next year.
 
Osa had more tackles too. But DT is also about creating pressure by forcing the OL backwards or holding the line. This is where I see Osa as average.

Except his pressure numbers were high level for NFL DT's. Which tells you he was impacting the QB up the middle. Which is pretty important if you don't want QB's stepping up and avoiding Parsons.
 
Cash. In your pocket. Today.

Could be injured or otherwise lose effectiveness next year.

This is exactly right. Why do lottery winners take the lump sum payment? Why do people take 10% of an injury settlement annuity by hiring JG Wentworth (Talk about totally raping people).

The guy made 3 mil last year. His average over the first four years of his contract was a mil and change per year. You don't think the guy would jump at a 20 mil signing bonus a year early? Of course he would, because if he hurts his knee suddenly all that could fall apart. Signing a contract with a 20+ mil signing bonus sets the guy up for the rest of his life. There is absolutely a discount with players when you sign them early. It's a mutually beneficial thing.

Now though? Why would he take a discount now? Teams overpay in free agency. You've already taken the injury risks, and lumps of lower salary. Now is your one chance to cash in and you've already put in the work to get it. So now, someone like Osa is going to get free agent market value. Which everyone on here, myself included, looks at in shock. 21 mil for Osa? No way. But if he can get that, why wouldn't he at this point?
 
This is exactly right. Why do lottery winners take the lump sum payment? Why do people take 10% of an injury settlement annuity by hiring JG Wentworth (Talk about totally raping people).

The guy made 3 mil last year. His average over the first four years of his contract was a mil and change per year. You don't think the guy would jump at a 20 mil signing bonus a year early? Of course he would, because if he hurts his knee suddenly all that could fall apart. Signing a contract with a 20+ mil signing bonus sets the guy up for the rest of his life. There is absolutely a discount with players when you sign them early. It's a mutually beneficial thing.

Now though? Why would he take a discount now? Teams overpay in free agency. You've already taken the injury risks, and lumps of lower salary. Now is your one chance to cash in and you've already put in the work to get it. So now, someone like Osa is going to get free agent market value. Which everyone on here, myself included, looks at in shock. 21 mil for Osa? No way. But if he can get that, why wouldn't he at this point?
A lot of this also has to do with these dueche bag agents who pump their clients up …more money their client makes .. more money they make..
 
If they really wanted Osa, wouldn't have we heard of efforts to extend him by now? They don't want to pay him.
 
A lot of this also has to do with these dueche bag agents who pump their clients up …more money their client makes .. more money they make..


This is very true and I don't think it's talked about enough.

I believe the vast vast majority of sports reporting generally comes from agents. And sometimes those agents want information out there that leads to getting their clients (and themselves) more money, regardless of whether it's actually true or not.

And outlets report it because they want to get other, juicier stories when the time comes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom