Colorado coach Deion Sanders vowed last week that Buffaloes quarterback
Shedeur Sanders and cornerback/receiver
Travis Hunter will pick their NFL team next year, not the other way around.
“I know where I want them to go,” Sanders said Friday on the
Million Dollaz Worth of Game podcast, via Brandon Champion of MLive.com. “So, it's certain cities that ain’t gonna happen.
It’s going to be an Eli.”
Eli Manning was the last player to tell the team with the first overall pick that he didn't want to play there. The Chargers nevertheless drafted him, but then traded him to the Giants.
In 1983, it was John Elway, who didn't want to play for the Colts. They drafted him and dealt him to the Broncos.
“There were certain cities that fit," Deion said. "
Atlanta fit, and I want that for my kids. All of them. I want the right fit. [Atlanta] was the first time I saw Black people in positions of authority. It blew my mind. It was real in Atlanta. I had never seen anything like that in my life.”
Sanders also mentioned
San Francisco,
Dallas, Washington, and
Baltimore as acceptable destinations. (Deion previously said that
he doesn’t want Shedeur to play in a cold-weather city.)