WR Amari Cooper agrees to re-sign with Cowboys on 5-year deal

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cooper’s new contract is worth $100 million.

By Calvin Watkins

11:07 AM on Mar 16, 2020 — Updated at 11:22 AM on Mar 16, 2020

Wide receiver Amari Cooper and the Cowboys reportedly have a new deal. SportsDay’s David Moore reported Monday night that Cooper intends to re-sign with the Cowboys on a five-year, $100 million deal. ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported the news.

It makes Cooper one of the highest-paid wide receivers at his position.

The new collective bargaining agreement meant the Cowboys could use the franchise tag on only one player, and Dallas prioritized quarterback Dak Prescott.

Cooper, meanwhile, was able to get a new deal after Dallas allowed him to hit the free agent market. The Cowboys had to justify trading a first-round pick to the Oakland Raiders two years ago for Cooper by taking care of him with a long-term deal.

Last season, Cooper earned his fourth Pro Bowl appearance as he set career-highs in catches (79), yards (1,189) and touchdowns. Cooper said during the Pro Bowl he wanted to remain in Dallas and he lives in the area during the offseason.

Now the Cowboys can move into this offseason looking to retain the services of wide receiver Randall Cobb and defensive end Robert Quinn in addition to upgrading the defensive line and finding another cornerback in free agency or the draft.

The first step was reaching deals with their high-profile players, Cooper and Prescott. The Cowboys have work to do with Prescott, but Cooper’s taken care of now.

The Cowboys have always had high-profile receivers, whether it was Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson, Terrell Owens or Dez Bryant. When they traded for Cooper, it meant they added to the list of elite receivers who make life better for the offense and quarterbacks.

The new collective bargaining agreement was seen as good news for the NFL’s owners and a mixed bag for the players.

For the Cowboys, the new CBA meant they had a decision to make: use the franchise tag on Dak Prescott or Amari Cooper?

On Monday, the Cowboys franchised Prescott and let Cooper hit the open market. He’s now free to negotiate with other teams, although the Cowboys will try to retain his services. Players can agree to deals but can’t officially sign them until 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Cooper enters the free agent market as the top wideout.

In terms of salary, last summer the Cowboys offered Cooper a contract that would place him within the top five at his position. But Cooper halted contract talks as he switched agents, retaining the services of Chafie Fields.

Team officials were hopeful to reach a deal with Cooper without him entering the open market. Now that it’s happening, his price tag will be high.

Atlanta’s Julio Jones has the highest average salary at wide receiver at $22 million. Odell Beckham Jr. from Cleveland checks in with the highest guarantee with $65 million.

It’s quite possible Cooper will try to slide somewhere between the guarantees for Jones ($64 million) and New Orleans’ Michael Thomas ($60.9 million).

Last season, Cooper earned his fourth Pro Bowl appearance as he set career-highs in catches (79), yards (1,189) and touchdowns. Cooper said during the Pro Bowl he wants to remain in Dallas and he lives in the area during the offseason.

His commitment to the area is there, whether the Cowboys can retain his services now is an issue. The window in which NFL teams can officially speak with agents of prospective free agents begins Monday and Cooper will be sought after by a team in need of upgrading the wide receiver position.

The uncertainty caused by the coronavirus outbreak could delay Cooper signing with another team once the league year tentatively begins Wednesday. As it stands, contracts can be presented and his standing with the Cowboys is in limbo.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't know what, yet. But I'm mad about something!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
20/year is a little more than I would've preferred but apparently he turned down an offer from the Skins that would've made him the highest paid WR in the league (22+/year), so what can you do?

Part of me still wonders if we wouldn't be better off spreading that 20 across 2-3 players (i.e. Michael Pierce/Jordan Phillips), but he's a very good player just entering his prime so here we are.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
20/year is a little more than I would've preferred but apparently he turned down an offer from the Skins that would've made him the highest paid WR in the league (22+/year), so what can you do?

Part of me still wonders if we wouldn't be better off spreading that 20 across 2-3 players (i.e. Michael Pierce/Jordan Phillips), but he's a very good player just entering his prime so here we are.
I mean we all saw what Cooper meant to this offense. All you have to do is look at pre Cooper and post Cooper. At 25 years old a 5 year deal looks perfect to me. Sure it's a couple mil more per season than I would have like but that's what happens when you wait until the last minute. Again if the deal gets done last offseason its probably more in the 17-18 range.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean we all saw what Cooper meant to this offense. All you have to do is look at pre Cooper and post Cooper. At 25 years old a 5 year deal looks perfect to me. Sure it's a couple mil more per season than I would have like but that's what happens when you wait until the last minute. Again if the deal gets done last offseason its probably more in the 17-18 range.
Yea although I have more faith in a McCarthy-led offense to help open things up and not be as reliant on pure talent winning out 1 on 1, not to mention the improvement we've seen from Gallup.

Ultimately I'm fine with the signing, he's not a top 5 WR but he's in that 5-10 range and he's entering his prime, although I do think in an alternate universe we could be just as good if not better spreading that money around on defense and drafting a guy like Ruggs or even Justin Jefferson at 17.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea although I have more faith in a McCarthy-led offense to help open things up and not be as reliant on pure talent winning out 1 on 1, not to mention the improvement we've seen from Gallup.

Ultimately I'm fine with the signing, he's not a top 5 WR but he's in that 5-10 range and he's entering his prime, although I do think in an alternate universe we could be just as good if not better spreading that money around on defense and drafting a guy like Ruggs or even Justin Jefferson at 17.
Yeah I think the problem is we all know Dallas would have been lazy in free agency anyway. They would just use the extra money to keep other guys like Lee, Collins and others. And then sign a bunch of 6 mil a year free agents to fill the roster with borderline roster guys.

Your scenario requires Dallas to actually fill other holes with stars so that you can afford to draft a WR.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah I think the problem is we all know Dallas would have been lazy in free agency anyway. They would just use the extra money to keep other guys like Lee, Collins and others. And then sign a bunch of 6 mil a year free agents to fill the roster with borderline roster guys.

Your scenario requires Dallas to actually fill other holes with stars so that you can afford to draft a WR.
Not only that, but you are also banking on that rookie to actually pan out which is a big roll of the dice.

I have always been a big proponent of banking on a sure thing over a rookie no matter how much potential you think he has, and this is especially true if the proven player is in his 20s and in his prime which applies to Amari Cooper.

So why would I let him walk in favor of drafting some rookie who I am hoping is someday going to be as good as the guy I let walk, then be right back in the same boat with that rookie if he were to pan out?

To me that's silly.

You have to pay big money to big time players, period. When you try to get cute and circumvent that aspect of team building is what gets you in trouble.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Cobb signs with Texans though - 3 years, 27 million.
Damnit.

Really wanted him back but at 9 per?

That's too much for a 3rd WR in his 30s and the Texans probably had to give him that after that retarded trade from earlier.

data

Forbes #1
Damnit.

Really wanted him back but at 9 per?

That's too much for a 3rd WR in his 30s and the Texans probably had to give him that after that retarded trade from earlier.
:lol Texans. WTF. $9M for Cobb when you trade away Hopkins?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol Texans. WTF. $9M for Cobb when you trade away Hopkins?
Exactly.

WTF is Cal McNair thinking giving this guy more power with each season?

I genuinely believe that he was practically a Garrett clone as a HC. They had all of the same weaknesses and made all of the same mistakes time and time again.

The similarities were uncanny.

So can you imagine having to suffer through Jason Garrett as a coach and as a GM?

My God.....I don't know how Texans fans haven't jumped off a bridge yet.

Just Jason Garrett the HC was enough to make me lose interest in the team and even the sport as a whole. I don't know what I would've done if I would have had to watch him hold the Cowboys back on the field during the season and then watch him destroy the roster in the offseason on top of that.

Top Bottom