WR Amari Cooper agrees to re-sign with Cowboys on 5-year deal

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
All that hand-wringing for nothing.

Now don't you guys feel silly doubting this would get done.

STAY OFF THE JER'S ASS!!!11!1!

GShock

DCC 4Life
Not only that, but you are also banking on that rookie to actually pan out which is a big roll of the dice.

I have always been a big proponent of banking on a sure thing over a rookie no matter how much potential you think he has, and this is especially true if the proven player is in his 20s and in his prime which applies to Amari Cooper.

So why would I let him walk in favor of drafting some rookie who I am hoping is someday going to be as good as the guy I let walk, then be right back in the same boat with that rookie if he were to pan out?

To me that's silly.
Ah, the Byron Jones strategy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Ah, the Byron Jones strategy.
I think Cooper is a legit top 5 WR who can change games when he's at his best. It can even be argued that he hasn't even hit his prime yet so the best is yet to come.

Jones is a really good CB but not worth 18 mill a year. He doesn't make plays and I can't recall a single instance in all the time he played in Dallas where we pointed to something he did that helped seal a victory.

We couldn't sign everybody and I believe Cooper was far more vital to the team's success than Jones.

I don't think these situations are similar at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damnit.

Really wanted him back but at 9 per?

That's too much for a 3rd WR in his 30s and the Texans probably had to give him that after that retarded trade from earlier.
If I'm paying my top WR 20 mil, I can't afford to pay the third guy nearly half that. I'd find a cheap guy or this draft looks pretty good to draft a slot guy, outside the first two rounds. It's not just Ruggs. Laviska, Aiyuk, Jefferson, Reagor, Hamler, KJ Hill.

Some of those dudes are going to drop. They all aren't going in the first and second round.

1bigfan13

Staff member
We couldn't sign everybody and I believe Cooper was far more vital to the team's success than Jones.
Without a doubt. Out of all of the Cowboys free agents, Byron Jones was near the bottom of the list in terms of priority to re-sign.

There's simply not enough bang for the buck with Byron Jones. A point I've been hammering away at since the day the Cowboys announced him as their first round pick back in 2015.

If he were a 3rd or 4th round pick my view of Jones would be a lot different. I'd look at him as a really good value pick. But the fact that we used a first round pick on a 2 INTs in 5 years CB who's started over 70 games, doesn't sit well with me. Again....it goes back to the lack of bang (game changing plays) for our buck (1st round pick).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without a doubt. Out of all of the Cowboys free agents, Byron Jones was near the bottom of the list in terms of priority to re-sign.

There's simply not enough bang for the buck with Byron Jones. A point I've been hammering away at since the day the Cowboys announced him as their first round pick back in 2015.

If he were a 3rd or 4th round pick my view of Jones would be a lot different. I'd look at him as a really good value pick. But the fact that we used a first round pick on a 2 INTs in 5 years CB who's started over 70 games, doesn't sit well with me. Again....it goes back to the lack of bang (game changing plays) for our buck (1st round pick).
Jourdan Lewis with his limited playing time has made more game changing plays. So it can't all be blamed on system.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Linval Joseph and Desmond Trufant are out there as we speak. And Trufant is arguably not even much of a downgrade, he's certainly more of a playmaker.

Nolan was the DC in Atlanta when they drafted him I believe, and of course George Edwards was Joseph's DC the last few years.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Jourdan Lewis with his limited playing time has made more game changing plays. So it can't all be blamed on system.
I think part of Jones' problem is he doesn't trust his reads and doesn't gamble as often as some of the top tier CBs in the league. Unless the pass is errant and thrown right at them, most CBs rely on jumping routes to generate the turnover. Jones appears to either lack that instinct or he simply chooses to play it safe and settle for pass breakups.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

While I think Jones is a pretty good DB there are a lot of pretty good DBs for a lot less money. His production for the team doesn’t equal his expense incurred.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Plus we're getting a 3rd for Byron, that's not insignificant.
And the 3rd, to me, is the perfect round to grab a receiver. Hell, we can grab two now.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Top Bottom