What would you do?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Since no one here is down for Trevor Lawrence, I say we do what we have to do to stockpile draft picks. That defense and O line is incredibly terrible. Definitely gonna be an outright rebuild in many areas outside the offensive skill positions. If there's any way to get anything decent for Zeke, you jump on it.
I won’t refuse Lawrence

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
not with the contract that he has.
Yep. Jones will have to eat that contract the way things are going now with Elliot. That what he gets for not holding the line with him.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It doesn’t matter. Nothing will matter until the cancer that owns and profits off this team, win or lose, is excised.

Permanently.
Exactly. We’ll never be free until Jerry is six feet in the dirt.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I trade the top pick for a haul like Minny once gave us. Use it to rebuild the defense and have extra picks for years to come. Then I rebuild the entire defensive coaching staff with a hard nosed leader. Maybe Mike Zimmer if he shakes loose. Give Dak a defense to compliment his offensive fireworks. I'd also start using Zeke as a part time back. Use a committee approach with another back. Something in the range of 50/50.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At the very least fire Nolan and most of the defensive staff and bring in someone like Zimmer, Patricia (if fired) or Quinn. I wouldn't rule out just cleaning house though since it seems like McCarthy is teetering on losing the team, injuries or not.

As far as personnel, clear out as much of the defensive roster as possible. That means Jaylon Smith, Poe, Crawford, Griffen, and most of the secondary. I'd consider re-signing Aldon Smith and maybe Awuzie or Lewis if they're cheap just so we aren't desperate for CB depth. Aside from that, keep only those on rookie deals and those you can't afford to get rid of (Lawrence) and maybe Anthony Brown.

Dedicate as much of the draft as possible to defense and completely ignore offense unless the BPA is a future replacement for Smith at LT and you just can't pass it up, and I truly mean literally ignore every offensive position except for LT. We're almost certainly going to have a pick in the 3-7 range, ideally I'd like to move down for a bounty with a team trading up for a QB but aside from that hope for one of Sewell, Parsons or Rousseau.

I'd like to run it back once more with the offense because I do think we could truly be formidable. The only thing that's stopped us most of the year has been injuries and dumb fuck Elliott fumbling, and that's with Collins and Smith out for most of it, so roll the dice on that improving next year.

And for once, spend some god damn money in free agency, and not on 32 year olds signing for 4/year. Every year there are quality starters in the prime of their careers who can be signed for about 8-10/year, so sign one or two of those.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I trade the top pick for a haul like Minny once gave us. Use it to rebuild the defense and have extra picks for years to come. Then I rebuild the entire defensive coaching staff with a hard nosed leader. Maybe Mike Zimmer if he shakes loose. Give Dak a defense to compliment his offensive fireworks. I'd also start using Zeke as a part time back. Use a committee approach with another back. Something in the range of 50/50.
Oh, fuck you with that Zimmer bullshit. Fuck him and his garbage scheme. I don’t want any part of The Village Idiot back in Dallas.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Been telling you folks for years that the Cowboys are locked up for many years to come so I just took a position that I will be a fan of the team but not the franchise.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
On second thought, Vic Fangio is actually the top guy to go after if fired.

Emeraldgreen

Brand New Member
Just take each game one at a time, play the game as if your reputation depends on it. Your not the only team to suffer loss after loss, so just take it as it comes. Deal with the critics and see how it ends up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think we could trade Zeke for a 3rd rounder, straight up.
He's untradeable, unless we are talking high draft picks in the other direction. You can cut him, but it won't help the cap until post June 2021.

A post 6/1 trade vs release saves almost 10 million. Basically you have to decide between 14 million and 24 million in dead space.

Since no one wants to take on that insane contract, you'd probably have to give a high round pick for it to be worth it for the other team. And a high round pick isn't worth a mere 10 million in cap savings for Dallas.

So cut him post 6/1 and you have a net of 0.00 savings, 13.7 million dead 2021 money and 10.8 dead 2022 money

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't cut Elliott, I think he still has some juice left if he's motivated and I'd rather gamble on him being motivated next year by a shitty 2020 and having Dak back. He won't be around much longer one way or the other but I'd like to see if we can squeeze another 1-2 elite years out of him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yep. Jones will have to eat that contract the way things are going now with Elliot. That what he gets for not holding the line with him.
I keep reading comments like this, but even if they waited until after the 2019 season, I think there's still a good chance the Cowboys sign Zeke to a sizable extension.

Last year he finished 4th in the NFL in rushing with 1,375 yards and 14 total TDs.

Maybe we save a little bit and instead of his deal averaging in the neighborhood of $15M per year we get him at $12M per year. Regardless, based on his 2019 season, I think Zeke was still in line for a lucrative contract. So the "holding the line" argument doesn't carry as much weight, IMO.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
One of the many things the Cowboys have to figure out is how to keep these guys hungry once they get paid. Other teams are paying their players and for the most part the players live up to their contracts for the first 2-3 years.

Derrick Henry was in a similar situation as Zeke. He got that 2nd contract that are supposedly taboo to give to RBs. He's currently leading the NFL in rushing by over 100 yards despite playing 1 fewer game than other top RBs.

So you can't just take a blanket stance on not paying certain players. I think you have to take character and work ethic into consideration. When you do that, that's where there would be red flags with Zeke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom