What if an imaginative coaching staff figured out a way to take advantage of Rico Gathers?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Schultz was a fourth rounder so no way they let him go. Swaim is our most experienced so no way I see him going. And frankly Jarwin is probably our best TE so he isn't leaving. I have a hard time seeing any of those 3 go. Which means probably we either cut Rico or keep 4 TEs.
would you/will they keep 4? It seems an unlikely luxury.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
On the team website podcasts they basically said Schultz was the worst at this point, even behind Gathers, but that they won’t cut a fourth round pick.

p1_

DCC 4Life
On the team website podcasts they basically said Schultz was the worst at this point, even behind Gathers, but that they won’t cut a fourth round pick.
sounds a little more desperate when Swaim and Jarwin are your best options.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
would you/will they keep 4? It seems an unlikely luxury.
Not sure, depends where you want to keep extra guys at? I mean we already probably need to scour the waiver wire for an Olineman at cuts. The WR I wanted to make room for is on IR now.

I guess you can keep Tapper or Ealy instead of an extra TE but that's sort of what it comes down to. I may only keep 5 WR and go 4 TE.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
In other news, it looks like Frederick's stingers might just mean another season of Chaz Green.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

midswat

... soon
Did you guys realize Antonio gates played college basketball?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones Shines Light on Rico Gathers’ Future, Sort Of
Brian Martin

Published 16 hours ago

on August 21, 2018

By Brian Martin

Rico Gathers Flashes Again, But is it Enough to Stick Around?

Dallas Cowboys Tight End Rico Gathers' days may be numbered with America's Team, at least if you put any stock into what Jerry Jones recently said.

"He blocks well when he's blocking the right man," said Jones, via Jon Machota of The Dallas Morning News. "He's got enough there, but the angst comes when you're sitting there looking at the guy that's not on the roster because you kept him on the roster."

Whether intentional or not, that's as close to a backhanded compliment as could be. Jerry Jones certainly doesn't make it sound like he's going to be pounding the table for Rico Gathers when final cuts are made, and I'm not sure the Cowboys coaching staff will be either.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, the Dallas Cowboys have already all but moved on from Gathers. His "flash" plays have kept him on the roster up until this point, but I wouldn't hold my breath he makes the final cuts this time.

The sad truth is, Rico Gathers has been his own worst enemy since entering the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. He's admittted he wasn't as focused on football as he should've been early on in the process and it's coming back to haunt him now.

Gathers knows the writing is on the wall and his time with the Cowboys is coming to an end. He admitted as much earlier in the offseason when he said he was trying to make "somebody's roster", instead of Dallas'. It may have been a Freudian slip of the mouth at the time, but a truthful one.

For those of you who want to see more of Rico Gathers, this will without a doubt come as bad news to you. There is no denying Gathers is a physical specimen with a large catching radius. We all witnessed that last Saturday with his highlight reel catch against the Cincinnati Bengals.

There aren't many receivers or tight ends in the NFL who can make those kind of plays, which is one of the reasons Cowboys fans are still holding out hope Gathers can turn the corner. Unfortunately, I think it's a little too late for that.

If we have learned anything so far in preseason and training camp, then Geoff Swaim, Blake Jarwin, and Dalton Schultz are all more pro-ready than Gathers and have the trust of their QB and coaching staff. Sometimes we just have to look at the bigger picture and realized that our "pet cats" just aren't living up to our unrealistic expectations.

Rico Gathers may very well succeed with his next team, if he gets another chance, but his days in Dallas are certainly numbered. So if you need to, going prepare yourself not to see Gathers' name on the 53-man when roster cuts are finalized for the Cowboys.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Did you guys realize Antonio gates played college basketball?
I think he was one of the guys that started the trend of converting college BB players to TEs. The Joneses like to hop on the latest trend bandwagon but usually when that trend is declining.

Anyway, Gathers is not the answer at TE. Not in this offense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The sad truth is, Rico Gathers has been his own worst enemy since entering the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. He's admittted he wasn't as focused on football as he should've been early on in the process and it's coming back to haunt him now.

Very telling.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"He blocks well when he's blocking the right man," said Jones, via Jon Machota of The Dallas Morning News. "He's got enough there, but the angst comes when you're sitting there looking at the guy that's not on the roster because you kept him on the roster."
Wow. You know you're a serious frickup when you're a talented project player and Jerry Jones still says this about you.

Top Bottom