What if an imaginative coaching staff figured out a way to take advantage of Rico Gathers?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Okay, so Gathers may not be a good blocker.

But what if he presented a threat to a defense in a different way -- as a pass catcher?

If you're a DC, would you rather defend against a blocker? Or a pass catcher?

An offense breaks the huddle -- two tight ends. One's an okay blocker, the other is suspect. But one can score a TD against you. Even if the crappy blocker executes a crappy block, so what? WRs execute crappy blocks all the time.

The crappy blocking TE and the decent blocking TE do their thing on a run-play fake. Freeze the LBs and secondary for a second, three WRs and a pass catching TE are on the loose.

I like the odds.

Please feel free to dissect and debunk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, so Gathers may not be a good blocker.

But what if he presented a threat to a defense in a different way -- as a pass catcher?

If you're a DC, would you rather defend against a blocker? Or a pass catcher?

An offense breaks the huddle -- two tight ends. One's an okay blocker, the other is suspect. But one can score a TD against you. Even if the crappy blocker executes a crappy block, so what? WRs execute crappy blocks all the time.

The crappy blocking TE and the decent blocking TE do their thing on a run-play fake. Freeze the LBs and secondary for a second, three WRs and a pass catching TE are on the loose.

I like the odds.

Please feel free to dissect and debunk.
I'm with you. I think the problem with Rico is actually less physical ability to block and more a lack of knowing his assignments. My guess is he is still out there running wrong routes and blocking the wrong guy. That stuff pisses a coach off and is probably why he is in the dog house. Or at least that's the only way I can make sense of it.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
If, on one hand, after two camps and plenty of time to study and work, Gathers can't figure out basic blocking assignments and how to run routes, that's his problem. And if he fails, so be it.

On the other hand, if brain-dead RHG sees tight ends only as road graders for Elliott, then that's a lack of imagination.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Gathers is so overrated by our fanbase.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No disputing that he’s the best TE in the class, but there are other priorities in my list. Get me Eifert in free agency.
Your Eifert love is disturbing. The guy is always hurt.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Is there a chance they give Rico a roster spot simply because the state of the TE position is so uncertain? Or do they like the other 3 enough to let him go and declare the Gathers project a failure?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a chance they give Rico a roster spot simply because the state of the TE position is so uncertain? Or do they like the other 3 enough to let him go and declare the Gathers project a failure?
Schultz was a fourth rounder so no way they let him go. Swaim is our most experienced so no way I see him going. And frankly Jarwin is probably our best TE so he isn't leaving. I have a hard time seeing any of those 3 go. Which means probably we either cut Rico or keep 4 TEs.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Maybe he can be stashed with another six month concussion. :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe he can be stashed with another six month concussion. :unsure
Well we have seen just how much development a guy will make when he isn't allowed to practice with the team. It was a stupid idea last year and it's why Rico is basically the same player.

Top Bottom