Wentz or Prescott Article

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Wentz could end up being really good IMO. I love Dak but I think that Wentz has more upside.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Clearly I'm not a fan yet, but I'll keep an open mind.

I feel like Wentz isn't the type to lead the charge as much as seal the deal after the rest of the team (esp. the defense) has performed well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wentz could end up being really good IMO. I love Dak but I think that Wentz has more upside.
I'm not sure I agree. I guess if you evaluate potential based on arm strength alone he has more potential. But there are many other talents that determine what a QB does and Dak does everything else just as well if not better.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure I agree. I guess if you evaluate potential based on arm strength alone he has more potential. But there are many other talents that determine what a QB does and Dak does everything else just as well if not better.
Yep. You get the impression Dak is a true leader and far more accurate. He upped his game under serious learning pressure several times as a rookie, and that appears to be a major part of his makeup.

Though the schedule is much harder and his stats might not be as good, I only see Dak improving.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Not really. I place arm strength at about #4 of things I look for in a QB. We will see how it all plays out. They were both rookies last season, so I don't think we have a good enough sample size to know yet.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not really. I place arm strength at about #4 of things I look for in a QB. We will see how it all plays out. They were both rookies last season, so I don't think we have a good enough sample size to know yet.
Right. It is what any player does consisentantly.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wentz showed jack not shit last year. Sure, he could improve, but I take Dak 10 times out of 10 over him right now. And it's not even close.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wentz showed jack not shit last year. Sure, he could improve, but I take Dak 10 times out of 10 over him right now. And it's not even close.
Correct.

They are slobbering on wentz's knob in Philly, but I think he has a lot to prove still.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Accuracy, leadership, pocket awareness, clutch ability and timing I all check off in favor of Dak. Plus right now at least Dak processes information way more quickly than Wentz. And I'm not sure how one can say "Wentz has more potential" in those areas. Some of those a QB either has or they don't. So if Dak is already better in those areas I have a hard time imaging Wentz can ever close those gaps.

But Wentz does have the size and arm strength in his favor. And Dak will never catch up in those areas either. Still, 6'2" or 6'5" I'm not sure there is that much difference with QBs. Aaron Rodgers for example is 6'2". It seems like as long as you are that tall it's all the same. Until you get too tall and then when you're like 6'7" it seems to become a hindrance.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Some serious underselling of Wentz here. If we hadn't lucked into Prescott I'd still be cursing Philly for moving up to snag him in front of us. I think Wentz will be better than Mariota or Winston.
I think Wentz is being undersold here too, but no way in hell he turns out better than Mariota and Winston.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not sure what "jack not shit" means...but if it means you saw nothing from Wentz last year then I question your intelligence. He made lots of plays and I would be real happy if I was a Philly fan.

Cotton

Staff member
Not sure what "jack not shit" means...but if it means you saw nothing from Wentz last year then I question your intelligence. He made lots of plays and I would be real happy if I was a Philly fan.
Nor*. And whatever he did show, he negated with terrible throws, so I would say last year was a wash for him. I wouldn't be terribly excited if I was an Eagles fan. I would be terribly apprehensive.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Nor*. And whatever he did show, he negated with terrible throws, so I would say last year was a wash for him. I wouldn't be terribly excited if I was an Eagles fan. I would be terribly apprehensive.
So a rookie QB from a small school made some bad throws. Shocking. He still finished with 3800 16/14...which is excellent for a rookie. Winning 7 games and navigating the season with an entire new staff is commendable as well. Last year was not a wash, that is silly.

Cotton

Staff member
So a rookie QB from a small school made some bad throws. Shocking. He still finished with 3800 16/14...which is excellent for a rookie. Winning 7 games and navigating the season with an entire new staff is commendable as well. Last year was not a wash, that is silly.
16 TDs to 14 INTs is as close to a wash as you can get without being dead-on a wash.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's pretty much how I see it. But I love Dak for us, so whatever.

Cotton

Staff member
Peyton Manning had a similar TD to Int ratio his rookie year, 26 TD/28 Int.
And, I said that Wentz could improve. But, his year last year did not show it.

townsend

Banned
And, I said that Wentz could improve. But, his year last year did not show it.
I think it showed Wentz had a lot of the abilities you look for in a young franchise QB. In an alternate universe where Dak had put up a similar performance, I'd still be very encouraged that a rookie was able to perform that well when they got no time to learn as a backup.

Wentz passed the eye test, something Goff didn't do last year. I think that's pretty impressive, especially considering Wentz, as a division 2 guy, had a steeper learning curve than Dak or Goff or Cook.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wentz basically had the same year as Matt Ryan did as a rookie...so that is pretty good.

Top Bottom