Week 4 Game Day Chatter | Lions and Cowboys | 9-30-2018

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
In all seriousness, I am surprised that Mahomes hasn’t gone off the rails. He seems to be patient and is taking measures risks. I expected him to have a ton of turnovers at this point in his career.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
In all seriousness, I am surprised that Mahomes hasn’t gone off the rails. He seems to be patient and is taking measures risks. I expected him to have a ton of turnovers at this point in his career.
Just your typical NFL MVP.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was watching the end of the Lions game again.

Think the Lions kinda botched the end after the Elliott catch.

They had two timeouts with 37 seconds left and took both of them. That allowed us to take an extra two plays without using any of our timeouts. Those two plays amounted to 5 yards.

But there was no hope, unless we passed the ball twice and it was incomplete both times, that the Lions could have stopped us from running the clock down to 1 second left and then we use our own timeout.

Given that, the Lions should have forced us to use our own timeouts and they would have saved a play or two.... two plays that saw us get 5 yards. We kicked with an untested kicker from 5 yards closer in because they took those timeouts.

Seems like a minor, but potentially game changing, clock bungle.
Why would we have had to use our timeouts? You run the play and let the clock run down, no need for us to use timeouts. I'm confused.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Why would we have had to use our timeouts? You run the play and let the clock run down, no need for us to use timeouts. I'm confused.
Right, we would have run one play, probably not taken any of our two timeouts for 30+ seconds, run the clock all the way down, and kicked the FG.

By the Lions taking 2 timeouts, we got 2 extra plays. Those plays added up to like 5 yards of rushes. Why were the Lions taking those timeouts? Because they only had 2, they had no way of preventing us from running the clock down; they would have needed 3. Instead, they basically added two plays to the game which resulted in 5 extra yards closer for the FG try. That could have mattered.

Small thing, probably not determinative, but I think a notable mismanagement there. By the Lions, I mean.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right, we would have run one play, probably not taken any of our two timeouts for 30+ seconds, run the clock all the way down, and kicked the FG.

By the Lions taking 2 timeouts, we got 2 extra plays. Those plays added up to like 5 yards of rushes. Why were the Lions taking those timeouts? Because they only had 2, they had no way of preventing us from running the clock down; they would have needed 3. Instead, they basically added two plays to the game which resulted in 5 extra yards closer for the FG try. That could have mattered.

Small thing, probably not determinative, but I think a notable mismanagement there. By the Lions, I mean.
We could have still ran the plays though, as long as we managed the clock properly.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I can't help but watch this play and notice how sad and pathetic Jarwin is. Why even have him on the field? The guy literally fools no one with his route. He is blanketed easily the whole time.
While that is true, the LB was reading Dak. and that's the best part of the play, Dak doesn't look Zeke's way until he's ready to throw.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Damn, Mahomes really is that good.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well that would have been dumb.
Not really. As soon as we run 1 play and take a timeout of our own, now the Lions can stop the next two plays with timeouts. Now they get the ball back with time remaining, probably 25 seconds or so.

Our smart move was to run one play after the Zeke catch, run out the clock, and kick. The Lions took two timeouts, prolonging the game, but generating us an extra 5 yards without any tangible benefit to themselves.

p1_

DCC 4Life

I hated this play by Dak.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Super bone-headed.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I’m drunk on Mahomes right now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea that's nice although it needs to translate into production.

Frazier busted a coverage that gave up a big TD just last week and then it happened again here with Brown. The Lewis play wasn't a busted coverage but it was obviously a very poor play.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Even without the 3rd timeout, teams will still take the two they have and hope for a fumble. Either on the snap, handoff, or the run.

p1_

DCC 4Life

comic relief

Top Bottom