Week 2 Preseason Chatter Thread - 8/15/13

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Incredibly, you can have the ball in your hands and still be considered "defenseless." Are the tacklers supposed to wait for you to brace yourself before hitting you?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Incredibly, you can have the ball in your hands and still be considered "defenseless." Are the tacklers supposed to wait for you to brace yourself before hitting you?

He should have stopped dead in his tracks and asked the guy if he was prepared to be tackled.

This was a textbook tackle.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Soon they'll just say what they mean. "You can get fined for hitting too hard."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Soon they'll just say what they mean. "You can get fined for hitting too hard."
That's exactly what this is. All hard hits will be fined. Well unless it is a diving hard hit to the legs. That's the direction I think you will see it go.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Hell, see Darren's hit on Darrell Jackson. He was literally fined for hitting him too hard.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

He should have stopped dead in his tracks and asked the guy if he was prepared to be tackled.

This was a textbook tackle.
Mike Pereira was on Fox Football Daily yesterday discussing hits with the crown of the head. He made it sounds as if hits with a lowered head from side angles was okay. He said that the media had sensationalized the lowering the head penalty and that the rule was meant for when players are running directly towards each other.

Bostic hit Willie from somewhat of a side angle so clearly Pereira is mistaken.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mike Pereira was on Fox Football Daily yesterday discussing hits with the crown of the head. He made it sounds as if hits with a lowered hit from side angles was okay. He said that the media had sensationalized the lowering the head penalty and that the rule was meant for when players are running directly towards each other.

Looks pretty clear to me that he was.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I seem to be the only one in America that supports the fine. Seems to me that's textbook lowering your head and hitting with the crown of your helmet. It's basically spearing. I seem to remember Dennis Thurman getting penalized for that periodically so it's not even a new rule.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Mike Pereira was on Fox Football Daily yesterday discussing hits with the crown of the head. He made it sounds as if hits with a lowered head from side angles was okay. He said that the media had sensationalized the lowering the head penalty and that the rule was meant for when players are running directly towards each other.

He was talking about the new rule for the running backs not this type of play.

Top Bottom