Week 2 Game Day Chatter | Giants at Cowboys| 9-16-2018

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Bitch about Dak all you want but you better get used to it. The front office loves him and we all know what that means. We arent bringing in anybody to challenge him for awhile. I'm not even sure a 1-15 season would change thier mind. It should but they are loyal to a fault to the guy they scouted.
That depends on if Garrett still around.

If Garrett and Linehan are both gone, then there's nothing to tie him to.

Yes, it's a longshot, but I'm still hoping this season can still be Garrett's last.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you understand what the word "meaningless" means. You are saying it's not determinative. Sure, but no stat is then.
You're right it's not meaningless in fantasy football. Just meaningless in football if you care about winning games.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They should improve but long-term I'm starting to question Prescott more. That Gathers miss in particular stands out, make that throw, it's 17-0 and with the way the defense was playing it's probably game over.

He really struggles once he starts to feel pressure.
It is quite obvious he is playing scared to death. The coaches (snicker) are going to have to get him over that fear or he will never be a decent QB in this league.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Yes, it's a longshot, but I'm still hoping this season can still be Garrett's last.
Unless Herman is gone Garrett won't have anywhere to go.

Kidding aside I would still lean towards Dak making it tonthe next regime. I also think Garrett is going to be here another year so contract will run out instead of having to fire him.

Thats just my guess.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The sad thing is the defense looks great. Garrett does nothing with the defense but they may win us enough games to save Garrett's job.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wasn't say they were good.

Just pointing out that total yard passing is the dumbest stat you can use to judge a QBs performance. The correlation between passing yards and wins in the NFL is extremely weak.
It's weak in comparison to other stats if you are talking about linear progression of stat improvement-to-win improvement.

But there's also a minimum threshold of acceptability.

I've heard numerous times of how "winners" and "leaders" at QB can be unconventional as passers because they "just have it," or because they have some other skill that makes up for their passing deficiency. Tim Tebow was a classic example, Colin Kaepernick was a classic example, and now Dak, to a lesser extent, is kinda drifting that way.

He's not gonna go 1-11 like Kaepernick, cause he's better than that, but his run of sub-200 yard passing days remains an indictable flaw. Yeah, he can win games like last night and put together an "exceptional" (read: competent) drive at the right time to seal a game, but then he's gonna go out the next week and lay an 8 point stinker at Carolina. In today's league, overcoming two quarters of basically no substantial passing yardage with intangibles and QB options cannot be a winning formula.

But the guys who do not rely on such gimmicks are the guys who succeed passing the ball in the air all day long. Those are the guys who are the consistent winners and playoff performers. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, etc. Who are the guys who struggle passing the ball? Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith (who aside from last year was a sub-230 ypg QB), etc.

That's not to say you literally can't have success -- Blake Bortles is a QB whose defense and running game is carrying him to success -- but even he is at 241 ypg for his career.

If you want to project a "successful" NFL career for Prescott, Cam Newton is actually pretty much the only QB around who is thought of as a top 10 or so QB with such low averages, but even he is at 230 ypg.

Prescott is floundering at 207 last year and 165 this year.

Not cutting it.

You can talk about rating all you want, but these types of stats mean, necessarily, that the offense is not moving the ball on par with other NFL offenses, and it's gonna cost you games, plural. You can't have playoff success or even really sustained regular season success with a passing attack this anemic.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is quite obvious he is playing scared to death. The coaches (snicker) are going to have to get him over that fear or he will never be a decent QB in this league.
It's hard to judge how much of it is Prescott and how much is the coaches.

The Kollman video would imply it's plenty on Prescott himself, not just the coaches.

But I think everyone would agree we aren't satisfied with the coaches performance right now either, so it is at least interesting to think of how Prescott would improve with a different staff. My guess is a little but not a ton.

At the end of the day, he is playing himself out of a job in my book, as well as the coaching staff. Again, I'm not cutting him, but if last night's performance is the performance we get all year, we're gonna win 8 games and I'll be looking for a new QB.

Rev

Staff member
At the end of the day, he is playing himself out of a job in my book, as well as the coaching staff. Again, I'm not cutting him, but if last night's performance is the performance we get all year, we're gonna win 8 games and I'll be looking for a new QB.
This is pretty much where I am at and its hard for me. I really like Dak and want to see him succeed. His story is a one of the good ones so I want to see him rewarded. I just need better.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The missed TD to Rico was atrocious.

You'd expect any backup to make that play.

I don't know what his deal is, but if he can't start making easy plays with his arm then it is still going to be a long, lousy, boring season.

Expect a lot of 17-13 type losses.

Rev

Staff member
Would be better if they wouldnt have hired Kellen Moore.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is pretty much where I am at and its hard for me. I really like Dak and want to see him succeed. His story is a one of the good ones so I want to see him rewarded. I just need better.
I want Dak to succeed too; but this narrative where I just have to live with performances like last night because he didn't turn the ball over and scored a whopping 20 points in a win, BFD.

If I accept that, then I have to accept last week at Carolina too. There simply is no prototype for a successful NFL QB at 200 yards per game. Find me one.

Yeah, I get that guys who wing it around at 300 ypg can still be losers, no one is arguing that. But you can't really be successful CONSISTENTLY, year in, year out, at 200 ypg. The threshold to even being a bus-driver success story like Flacco or Wilson, kinda the lower-tier "good" QBs, is like 230-240 ypg.

If that doesn't matter, then why can't we name a top-10ish QB who has less than that?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a stupid retort.
Well that's very judgmental from a man who arbitrarily sets standards with a meaningless stat who bitches when those standards aren't met.

I'm just glad I still know how to enjoy a win. Somehow it pains you.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I continue to shudder at how often I see Geoff Swaim on the field.

It's mind boggling.

It's like in basketball, when you have a guy like Ben Wallace or Joakim Noah near the end of his career. It's just a black hole. The other team essentially doesn't have to guard him, but the coaches keep running him out there for "defense," or "rebounding" which have also dwindled away to a shadow of their former abilities.

Swaim is like a third TE in just about any other team in the league. Yet we keep running him out there. I guess allegedly for his blocking, which isn't even really that impactful; he just knows his assignments. I've seen him whiff or lose at the Point of Attack numerous times now though.

He's a disaster, and it's a coaching disaster that we insist on putting a player on the field who keeps losing his battles so that we can cling to a scheme... that isn't even all that successful.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well that's very judgmental from a man who arbitrarily sets standards with a meaningless stat who bitches when those standards aren't met.

I'm just glad I still know how to enjoy a win. Somehow it pains you.
Don't bother responding to any of the posts of substance. I know you can't really rebut them anyway.

Top Bottom