Week 15 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys at Raiders | 12-17-2017

data

Forbes #1
Disagree
Had all minutiae, quirky situation, first names, fan from other team that oddly reveres the cowboys, friendly wager...
I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars
Thank you. Wasn't meant to be floor rollicking laugh, but thought a nice little unsuspecting treat in the midst of a gameday chatter.

Like finding a $5 bill in your jeans pocket.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Atlanta is a shit hole team, they're going to get their doors blown off by New Orleans and then it's probably 60/40 that they lose against Carolina who will still be playing for the division.

The bigger issue is that Detroit has only the "mail it in" Bengals and likely the Brett Hundley-led Packers left. Looks like asshole Rodgers will fuck us again unless the Bengals can pull a miracle out of their asses or the Packers can somehow muster up enough motivation/pride to knock a divisional opponent out of the playoffs.

data

Forbes #1
Atlanta is a shit hole team, they're going to get their doors blown off by New Orleans and then it's probably 60/40 that they lose against Carolina who will still be playing for the division.

The bigger issue is that Detroit has only the "mail it in" Bengals and likely the Brett Hundley-led Packers left. Looks like asshole Rodgers will fuck us again unless the Bengals can pull a miracle out of their asses or the Packers can somehow muster up enough motivation/pride to knock a divisional opponent out of the playoffs.
Imagine the site maintenance if all falls into place and Nick Foles beats us down 44-6

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With Ezekiel Elliott's return, Dez Bryant's production needs to increase
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- As Dez Bryant spoke after the Dallas Cowboys' 20-17 win Sunday against the Oakland Raiders, Terrance Williams was in the background talking to nobody but really everybody.

“Dez is coming,” Williams said as Bryant spoke about his frustrations that have come this season in part because of how opposing teams are playing him, the effect Ezekiel Elliott's absence has had on his statistics and, truthfully, a level of his play that needs to be better.

Elliott’s return to the Cowboys should help Bryant.

“When he gets back, double all you want,” Bryant said, offering up a warning to defenses. “He’s going to rush for 350. We’re just trying to move on. That’s what it is right now. I can’t be thinking about me. Hell, nah. We got to keep winning and when that ball come our way -- or any one of our ways -- we got to make something happen. If that’s the one play, it’s going to be a clutch play. Just know that. That’s out of everybody. That’s just the mindset we got around here.”

In a game with twists and turns that had to be believed to be seen -- a fake punt, a flea-flicker that fell incomplete, two touchdowns called back by penalties, one called back by replay, a fourth-down quarterback sneak that required a piece of paper to determine if a first down was gained and effectively a walk-off touchback -- Bryant had one of the biggest plays.

After Gene Steratore’s paper measuring device gave the Cowboys a first down with 4 minutes, 49 seconds to play, Dak Prescott connected on a 40-yard pass down the sideline to Bryant to the Oakland 5. It was typical Bryant, leaping higher than Sean Smith and securing the ball as he came to the ground. It was Bryant’s second-longest catch of the season.

And, according to Bryant and Prescott, it was about the only time the Raiders did not double-cover Bryant.

“At least 95 percent of the game,” Bryant said. “At least 95. I’m not over-exaggerating either.”

Prescott was waiting for the Raiders to move back to their shell coverage with two safeties deep.

It was just Bryant’s second catch of the game. He had a 19-yarder on a third-quarter drive that ended with Prescott’s 5-yard touchdown run. He was targeted only four times all game and the first attempt resulted in an interception on the Cowboys’ first drive of the game.

“We were waiting on that single high man-to-man coverage all game long and then we got it right then,” Prescott said. “I knew he knew the play we had and I was waiting for the safety to go back to a two-high look and he didn’t. I took my opportunity with Dez, and Dez made a great catch.”

Much has been discussed regarding the connection between Bryant and Prescott the past two seasons. While they closed 2016 rather strong, with six of Bryant’s eight touchdown catches coming in the second half of the year, they had not taken a leap in production in their second season together.

“You have to play through success, you have to play through the adversity of the ballgame,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Dez’s play at the end was as big a play as there was in the game to get us down there in scoring position. He’s a veteran player. He’s had a lot of success throughout his career and a big part of that is the mental toughness to play through those things.”

Bryant is on pace for 72 catches for 881 yards and seven touchdowns, far too pedestrian numbers for a receiver being paid $13 million. In the eight games with Elliott, he had 38 catches for 439 yards and four touchdowns. In the six games without him, he had 25 catches for 332 yards and two touchdowns.

Perhaps Sunday’s 40-yarder was a start of something good with two games to play. And Elliott’s return to the offense should only help Bryant.

Does Garrett believe the coverage for Bryant will change with Elliott back?

“We’ll see,” Garrett said with a smile. “You’ll have to ask them.”

So there are sort of two things that I find interesting about this article. Number one is just shows how big of an impact someone like Zeke has on this offense. Without him teams play cover two against us a lot and is restricts our ability to throw deep to our outside WRs.

There are ways to attack a two safety high team deep though and it usually involves seam routes. The problem is our TE is slow as dirt and our slot WR's are too small to really run an effective seam route. This is why I hope we consider maybe phasing Witten out in the offseason. I love the guy but he literally ranks like dead last in the NFL in average RAC for TE's. It just sort of shows you that the little speed he did have is totally gone. And Beasley is sort of a one trick pony that defenses know and understand this season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Never fear. Rico is here.

Somewhere.

Probably getting checked for another concussion.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We definitely need to add speed/vertical explosiveness somewhere in the receiving corps, either at WR or TE.

I'd love a guy like Dallas Goedert in the 2nd but I feel like he'll be gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We definitely need to add speed/vertical explosiveness somewhere in the receiving corps, either at WR or TE.

I'd love a guy like Dallas Goedert in the 2nd but I feel like he'll be gone.
Doesn't even need to be that high. A guy who I really like is Fumagalli from Wisconsin. He is tall and athletic and probably under used in their offense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Doesn't even need to be that high. A guy who I really like is Fumagalli from Wisconsin. He is tall and athletic and probably under used in their offense.
Yea I saw him in their bowl game last year against Western Michigan and really liked him, I don't think he has pure speed but he can stretch the seam with his size/hands/ability to come down with contested balls.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea I saw him in their bowl game last year against Western Michigan and really liked him, I don't think he has pure speed but he can stretch the seam with his size/hands/ability to come down with contested balls.
Yeah I was looking at this TE class and it just reminds me of how insane strong last years TE class was in comparison. I'm sure there will be a couple good ones in this class but I don't think I'd go grabbing one in the first couple of rounds.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom