Week 14 Gameday Chatter | Cowboys @ Giants | 12-10-2017

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We have some very nice depth at RB. Rod Smith is very good, as well.
I like him, but I think he's a bit raw.

Morris understands run concepts and I'd like to see him brought back for 1 more year before just handing the backup job straight away to Smith.

I don't think he's ready for that just yet.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I like him, but I think he's a bit raw.

Morris understands run concepts and I'd like to see him brought back for 1 more year before just handing the backup job straight away to Smith.

I don't think he's ready for that just yet.
What does he have to do when Zeke gets back? The backup is only going to be on the field for 3 to 5 plays.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think I'd rather go with Rod Smith as Zeke's primary back up next year. He's younger, cheaper, and more explosive. And he's getting better with more experience. As much as I like Morris, he's 29 and at the point where he's going to start slowing down. And it's not like he has a lot of speed and wiggle he can afford to lose.

Give me Zeke, Smith, and a rookie next year and I'm perfectly happy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What does he have to do when Zeke gets back? The backup is only going to be on the field for 3 to 5 plays.
That's a good point.

Well, they better make sure Smith gets his blitz protection right if he's going to be that guy next year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think I'd rather go with Rod Smith as Zeke's primary back up next year. He's younger, cheaper, and more explosive. And he's getting better with more experience. As much as I like Morris, he's 29 and at the point where he's going to start slowing down. And it's not like he has a lot of speed and wiggle he can afford to lose.

Also, Rod Smith appears to be developing into a nice little receiving threat.

vince

Not So New Member

I heard this morning that Morris is prepping for the FA market next year. I guess he suspects we would not be resigning him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Dak is going to have to get better at this.

This is the sort of thing I've been talking about.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Dak's decision making and vision, among other things, have a long way to go.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
This is the sort of thing I've been talking about.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Dak's decision making and vision, among other things, have a long way to go.
First off, Cole was short of the sticks when he was open early and may not have made the first. He was double covered. Dak was looking at Williams or Dez deep on the right initially but neither got open. It all depends on the progression but if you look at the QB's head, he definitely wasn't looking for Cole first. The OP has no idea if that is correct or not so this whole "Play is designed to get the ball to Cole Beasley" is horseshit unless he's an OC for the Cowboys.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

Me too. Rbs are rarely worth another contract and with this o line, they are very replaceable. We've got to keep making smart economic decisions.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
First off, Cole was short of the sticks when he was open early and may not have made the first. He was double covered. Dak was looking at Williams or Dez deep on the right initially but neither got open. It all depends on the progression but if you look at the QB's head, he definitely wasn't looking for Cole first. The OP has no idea if that is correct or not so this whole "Play is designed to get the ball to Cole Beasley" is horseshit unless he's an OC for the Cowboys.
This is what I mean about being too defensive.

Why can't you be both a fan of Dak but also critical of his recent play?

This play is clearly designed to go to Beasley and Dak just misses the read early on. And do you know how you can determine that Beasley is the #1 target? Because of the rub route that Witten runs which is designed to create space for the WR next to him by creating "trash" for the DB to navigate through.

He just missed the read which has happened way too many times this season, and this is another example of it.

It is ok for you to admit that he has to improve and that he made a mistake here. It doesn't make you a Dak-hater by doing so.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I heard this morning that Morris is prepping for the FA market next year. I guess he suspects we would not be resigning him.
Reading between the lines of some interviews I've heard with him, I don't think he's happy here.

Great guy and teammate who would never say anything publicly, but I think he'd rather be somewhere else.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

This play is clearly designed to go to Beasley and Dak just misses the read early on. And do you know how you can determine that Beasley is the #1 target? Because of the rub route that Witten runs which is designed to create space for the WR next to him by creating "trash" for the DB to navigate through.

He just missed the read which has happened way too many times this season, and this is another example of it.

It is ok for you to admit that he has to improve and that he made a mistake here. It doesn't make you a Dak-hater by doing so.
Yeah, I may possibly be Dak's biggest fan on this board, and there are things he has to get better at, like going through his progressions and not holding onto the ball too long. But, thankfully, those are things that can be taught. He has the natural ability. He just needs some coaching up in a couple of areas.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, I may possibly be Dak's biggest fan on this board, and there are things he has to get better at, like going through his progressions and not holding onto the ball too long. But, thankfully, those are things that can be taught. He has the natural ability. He just needs some coaching up in a couple of areas.
Film session and practice is what will help him with this.

It would be nice if he had a better QB coach as well, but I digress.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And as highly critical as we are of the offensive staff for their lack of creativity and their bland schemes, we gotta give them props when they get it right.

That play is very well designed and it was executed perfectly. It should've been a 1st down but Dak either didn't make the right read or his timing is way off because Beasley needed to have that ball in his hands right away.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Reading between the lines of some interviews I've heard with him, I don't think he's happy here.

Great guy and teammate who would never say anything publicly, but I think he'd rather be somewhere else.
Why? He's not a starter anymore. Where else is he going to get such a good line to play behind? He's in an ideal situation. Now he is a free agent and maybe we go with Smith as the backup. We will need a third that can play ST.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

I'm not being defensive. I'm watching his head. He went to Beasley 2nd or 3rd in his progression. So that's either wrong or right. I'm not sure. You're making an assumption regarding the rub route. I could just as easily say the play is designed to rub the DB and give Cole time to come across the field and create separation. I don't know. You literally would have to be a member of the coaching staff.

Any play you can watch in slow motion and say "hey Dez was open here" he should have thrown it. QBs throw through windows and they can't look at both sides of the field simultaneously. You can't just look at a play like this and say it was a busted read.

To speak to your greater issue, can he be better? Yes he can. His accuracy needs to take a step forward. However, he needs better weapons and the coaches need to scheme guys open better. Too many contested catches.

Further, I think most of us have come to the conclusion that Dak got happy feet after the Atlanta game and it lasted 2.5 games at a minimum. That shows a lack of mental toughness which is damning and not something I would have thought to say about Dak, ever. But there it is.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

We'll said.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not being defensive. I'm watching his head. He went to Beasley 2nd or 3rd in his progression. So that's either wrong or right. I'm not sure. You're making an assumption regarding the rub route. I could just as easily say the play is designed to rub the DB and give Cole time to come across the field and create separation. I don't know. You literally would have to be a member of the coaching staff.

Any play you can watch in slow motion and say "hey Dez was open here" he should have thrown it. QBs throw through windows and they can't look at both sides of the field simultaneously. You can't just look at a play like this and say it was a busted read.

To speak to your greater issue, can he be better? Yes he can. His accuracy needs to take a step forward. However, he needs better weapons and the coaches need to scheme guys open better. Too many contested catches.

Further, I think most of us have come to the conclusion that Dak got happy feet after the Atlanta game and it lasted 2.5 games at a minimum. That shows a lack of mental toughness which is damning and not something I would have thought to say about Dak, ever. But there it is.
I agree to an extent, although given the down and distance I think one would be correct in arguing that Dak should've started off his read to Beasley's side and then worked his way to the other side with the longer-developing routes. But still, it's impossible to know exactly how the coaches want the players to execute a given play call given certain coverage looks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Who wouldn't when you know your role is going to be 3 or 5 plays when Zeke is here? Dont blame the guy for wanting to be elsewhere but also don't want to give up too many plays from Zeke either.

Top Bottom