Week 11 Game Day Chatter |Cowboys @ Falcons | 11-18-2018

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how much of his philosophy of having limited playbook is the result of being on those 1990s Cowboys teams. Former players from those teams often share stories about how they had a very simple playbook and simply out-executed their opponents.
That's exactly right. It was a different league back then. We didn't out scheme people. We just knew that Irvin would beat his man and Aikman trusted him to do it. Now you have guys like Hill moving all over the field to create mismatches. You'll have 3 different guys running and looking like they may get the ball on any play. The misdirection on these offenses is just insane. When you watch the Cowboys now it's like we could call out the play before the snap half the time.

Try doing that with one of these teams? And oh yeah, they run their offenses so fast that it's hard to even process what they might be doing because the ball is snapped so quickly. Watch the Rams play clock, half the time there is still 20 or more seconds left on it. We only do that stuff at the end of halves and even then struggle to get the plays off that quickly.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't know how you could see our spread and think it looks anything like what these teams are doing. We run a slowed down spread with very limited routes. These guys have route combinations we haven't even dreamed of running.
Gotcha. I thought you were simply talking about the spread formations. Yeah, the Cowboys route combos are an embarrassment compared to the Rams.

I also like that the Rams run tempo at different portions of the game and don't simply wait until 2-minute warning situations. They understand the simple concept of keeping defenses off-balanced.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I mistyped. Not a jet sweep but a screen pass to a slow TE.
No, I think you meant just what you originally said since you also mentioned Jordan Lewis in your first scenario. And we've never ran a screen to him like you're saying in this version.

Hey, you exaggerated. It happens. Own it. :art

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Rams are pimp slapping the KC defense up and down the field. The Chief offense better grab a gear or this one might get away from them.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wait, what? Since when can you challenge penalties?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Didn’t know that could be challenged. In fact, he just called a TO with no red flag.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gotcha. I thought you were simply talking about the spread formations. Yeah, the Cowboys route combos are an embarrassment compared to the Rams.

I also like that the Rams run tempo at different portions of the game and don't simply wait until 2-minute warning situations. They understand the simple concept of keeping defenses off-balanced.
Dallas will literally have 4 guys running fucking hitch routes on a play. It makes no sense.

And in fairness not every NFL team is doing this stuff. I mean the Packers for example aren't running an offense like this. They just rely on Rodgers pulling shit out of his ass. Sort of the way Romo used to in our offense but with less arm strength. I didn't think the Falcons offense was particularly good play calling. It was mostly, throw slants and know our uber talented receivers will win. It's just crazy to me though watching teams like the Saints, Rams, Chiefs and Bears and then comparing them to other teams. There is just such a skill gap in play calling.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Rams are pimp slapping the KC defense up and down the field. The Chief offense better grab a gear or this one might get away from them.
This is playing out how most people expected. Both defenses are ranked in the bottom half of the league in most defensive categories.

The pimp slapping will continue for 2 more hours.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dak’s problem isn’t reps and timing with his WRs, it’s that his mental clock is slow and he can’t read defenses at a high level.
I agree that he's not reading the defenses well, and it also seems that he's more passive than last year. So cautious to not mess up, but if he was getting maximum reps with his WRs during practice I just can't see how he wouldn't be any better than what he's shown this season.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don’t think he was trying to call time out. I think he was trying to signal with the ball was tipped.
That's what I thought too

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mistyped. Not a jet sweep but a screen pass to a slow TE.
The screen passes to Swaim aren't actually bad. Swaim isn't a great athlete but he seems to do well running with the ball in his hands. The ones to Witten late in his career were ugly.

No, I think you meant just what you originally said since you also mentioned Jordan Lewis in your first scenario. And we've never ran a screen to him like you're saying in this version.

Hey, you exaggerated. It happens. Own it. :art
I will never. And I guarantee you they ran screens to Witten before. I remember screaming at the Tv because of how stupid it was to throw a screen to him. What does exaggerate mean?? :flip

Top Bottom