Washington Redtails? LMAO

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
People also have license to not have to constantly be on the defense about words they use.

Our society has gotten way too damn sensitive.

Cotton

Staff member
I probably wouldn't call someone that, but you are old school rough and tumble. Understood.
Midget is old school rough and tumble? :lol

K

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Midget is old school rough and tumble? :lol

K
No. But when people go overboard about how non-PC they are, it comes off as cultivated tough guy regular joe schtick. And it is just as annoying as when people go policing other people's words. And before you claim I am doing that, I'll give an example. A few weeks ago a feminist moonbat fb friend of mine posted about how saying, "Imagine if it was your wife or daughter," after a rape is offensive because it suggests women are only valuable insofar as they're important to men.

THAT is runaway pc. Expecting not to be called a racial slur seems reasonable to me, but whatever.

Cotton

Staff member
No. But when people go overboard about how non-PC they are, it comes off as cultivated tough guy regular joe schtick. And it is just as annoying as when people go policing other people's words. And before you claim I am doing that, I'll give an example. A few weeks ago a feminist moonbat fb friend of mine posted about how saying, "Imagine if it was your wife or daughter," after a rape is offensive because it suggests women are only valuable insofar as they're important to men.

THAT is runaway pc. Expecting not to be called a racial slur seems reasonable to me, but whatever.
Perfect example of how it's a matter of perception. She was adamant about her shock, I'm sure.

You say the word redskin is a slur. I say it's not.

I also don't believe the word honky is a slur, but if you trace the word back as honestly as the word nigger you will find they originated at the same time and are literal counterparts of each other.

I'm not equating the two in terms of offensiveness, but more making a point that terms are relative to where you stand, and how sensitive we have gotten in terms of how that has gotten out of hand.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
You are not going to win me over with relativism, sorry. I reject it in almost all instances.

Just don't be an asshole to people or name your football team a racial slur. Bye.

Cotton

Staff member
80 years they have had the name.

Now we just have to change it.

So silly.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I like our arch enemy skins to be as offensive as possible. It's more fun having an opponent worthy of hatred. If they could work a Swastika and Hammer and Sickle into the logo it would be perfect.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Uh, what do you think the term fighting Irish implies?

Bareknuckle fighter Irish John Sullivan.

Fighting Irish logo.

Notice any similarities?

Alcohol has nothing to do with the origin of that term.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I absolutely agree. Hell, I would wager half the people on this very board don't even know where the term Honky comes from.

You cannot equate 'cracker' or 'honky' with words like 'nigger'. There is no word that can really offend a white person because we've never been oppressed as a race. Are you Indian? If no, then you have no right to claim it as non-offensive. That's just ridiculous. Would you tell a black person, "you shouldn't be offended by the word 'nigger'"? White people have no frame of reference for such derogatory terms. I've heard some groups of Indians (which is, itself, a misnomer) say it is not offensive and I've heard others say that it is. That is for them to decide. Not you or any other white person. Or any other race other than Indian. This is not debatable.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
It was a slur; I'd argue that it's use as the respected mascot of a football team over the past 60 years has caused the word to transcend any derogatory meaning at this point in history.

Regardless, anyone who fakes "offense" at the term Washington Redskins is not being honest. The use of the word carries no more harmful intent than "Fighting Irish" or other non-offensive but commonly used stereotypes in today's society. Any evil that stems from the use of that word has long since died out.

The people who are looking to be offended by it are out just to get their names in the papers. There is no current regime of Native American prejudice occuring in this country, at least not anywhere around Washington DC.

The audacity of this post is just overwhelming. To claim that there is no prejudice against Native Americans is incredibly naive. And to say "anyone who fakes offense" is just off the chart. :lol Are you Native American? No. Of course you're not offended. Same as if someone called you a 'kike' or a 'nigger'. Why would you be offended if you can't identify with it?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Oriental

Mexican

Both offensive now from what I can tell.

Your entire argument is just shit. There are no teams called the midgets, Orientals, or Mexicans. OF COURSE there are a shitload of offensive terms in our language. That's NOT the point. We're talking about a term that many Native Americans may find offensive that is marketed as a team's name. That's not the same as saying, "Hey you Mexican!" See? I mean, they're not even in the same area code. I don't understand how a white guy can say "you shouldn't be offended." WTF?

Cotton

Staff member
You cannot equate 'cracker' or 'honky' with words like 'nigger'. There is no word that can really offend a white person because we've never been oppressed as a race. Are you Indian? If no, then you have no right to claim it as non-offensive. That's just ridiculous. Would you tell a black person, "you shouldn't be offended by the word 'nigger'"? White people have no frame of reference for such derogatory terms. I've heard some groups of Indians (which is, itself, a misnomer) say it is not offensive and I've heard others say that it is. That is for them to decide. Not you or any other white person. Or any other race other than Indian. This is not debatable.
What's offensive is relative no doubt. That's why it is being debated right now.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, when there's a team called the Gingers, it'll be opened for debate, okay?
Your entire argument is just shit. There are no teams called the midgets, Orientals, or Mexicans. OF COURSE there are a shitload of offensive terms in our language. That's NOT the point. We're talking about a term that many Native Americans may find offensive that is marketed as a team's name. That's not the same as saying, "Hey you Mexican!" See? I mean, they're not even in the same area code. I don't understand how a white guy can say "you shouldn't be offended." WTF?
My overall point wasn't really about the team and it's name, it was about how overly sensitive our culture has become when it comes to words. I suppose I can count you in that crowd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My overall point wasn't really about the team and it's name, it was about how overly sensitive our culture has become when it comes to words. I suppose I can count you in that crowd.
That's my view on this whole thing. Who cares if some people are offended? You can't say a word anymore without someone being offended. If you're offended by the term Redskins don't root for the team. I'm tired over all the crying about what is or isn't politically correct.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would embrace a team called the White Skins.

Top Bottom