Washington Redtails? LMAO

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This board is full of smug white assholes that have no fucking idea what it is like to be victimized by racism.
Please tell me what it's like. I suspect you are a smug white asshole who simply thinks he knows what it's like for someone else to be victimized by racism.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I do. And that's not a marriage acceptance.
The term was absolutely derogatory in use back in the day. It was the exact counterpart to nigger. But now that we have power shifted the color spectrum in this country that seems to be forgotten. The idea of racism is so one-sided anymore it is silly to even use the term anymore. It means nothing.

Cotton

Staff member
Please tell me what it's like. I suspect you are a smug white asshole who simply thinks he knows what it's like for someone else to be victimized by racism.
Bipo = white guilt.

Still.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The term was absolutely derogatory in use back in the day. It was the exact counterpart to nigger. But now that we have power shifted the color spectrum in this country that seems to be forgotten. The idea of racism is so one-sided anymore it is silly to even use the term anymore. It means nothing.
If you are going to drive by my place be sure your horn works.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I disagree that it inherently carries that connotation, nor do I think it would be the intent of a bunch of Catholic clerics to name their mascot with the intent of offending an ethnic group that had been persecuted in the country's history at least partially for its Catholicism. And anyway, I dont consider the Fighting Cherokee offensive, when the alcoholic Native American is a stereotype. But the Fighting Micks or the Redskins? Just tasteless imo.

Cotton

Staff member
I disagree that it inherently carries that connotation, nor do I think it would be the intent of a bunch of Catholic clerics to name their mascot with the intent of offending an ethnic group that had been persecuted in the country's history at least partially for its Catholicism. And anyway, I dont consider the Fighting Cherokee offensive, when the alcoholic Native American is a stereotype. But the Fighting Micks or the Redskins? Just tasteless imo.
IMO is right. That's what makes PC shit like this such a subjective discussion.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I disagree that it inherently carries that connotation, nor do I think it would be the intent of a bunch of Catholic clerics to name their mascot with the intent of offending an ethnic group that had been persecuted in the country's history at least partially for its Catholicism.
I don't think it was the intent of the Catholic clerics to offend. I don't think it was the intent of the Washington Redskins to offend either.

Stereotypes back in the 1940s were humorous and were used in the mainstream without being offensive. Then people changed, not the words.

And anyway, I dont consider the Fighting Cherokee offensive, when the alcoholic Native American is a stereotype. But the Fighting Micks or the Redskins? Just tasteless imo.
I don't find any of them offensive. But Fighting Irish is definitely just as stereotypical and "derogatory" as Redskins. The only way it isn't the same, is by measuring the number of people who make a stink about it. But in this victim culture we live in, minority groups are encouraged to feel victimized, so that's why you see outcry over the one term and not the other.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
IMO is right. That's what makes PC shit like this such a subjective subject.
I remember saying one time that it annoyed me how the press references Mel Gibson's Catholicism every time he does something horrible, and you made similar points to the ones you are making here. So I don't think it is about one word versus sentences. I think you are one of those "GET OVER IT!" tough guy types. Which is fine, I just disagree.

Cotton

Staff member
The only way it isn't the same, is by measuring the number of people who make a stink about it. But in this victim culture we live in, minority groups are encouraged to feel victimized, so that's why you see outcry over the one term and not the other.
Yep.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Am I personally offended? No. I just understand that the term carries an inherently negative connotation and is just unnecessary.

Cotton

Staff member
I remember saying one time that it annoyed me how the press references Mel Gibson's Catholicism every time he does something horrible, and you made similar points to the ones you are making here. So I don't think it is about one word versus sentences. I think you are one of those "GET OVER IT!" tough guy types. Which is fine, I just disagree.
Let's compare the two.

One word: Mick

Sentence: That guy is a Catholic prick. His belief system makes him a douche bag.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Let's compare the two.

One word: Mick

Sentence: That guy is a prick.
"Mick," if not said among friends in jest, is a slight to the individual and to his heritage, ancestors, etc. Prick is just a general vulgarity.

Are you really arguing that sentences are inherently more offensive? Seriously? Why, because they have an accompanying verb?

Cotton

Staff member
"Mick," if not said among friends in jest, is a slight to the individual and to his heritage, ancestors, etc. Prick is just a general vulgarity.

Are you really arguing that sentences are inherently more offensive? Seriously? Why, because they have an accompanying verb?
I edited it a tad because I figured you would go here.

Yes, I believe that full offensive intent can be more disclosed in a sentence versus one word.

At least to less sensitive people.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I edited it a tad because I figured you would go here.

Yes, I believe that full offensive intent can be more disclosed in a sentence versus one word.

At least to less sensitive people.
Why is either one acceptable? I have to choose ignorant bullshit now? How about neither.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Why is either one acceptable?
Why can't both be acceptable? Nobody is using it in an offensive way. It's a term that doesn't even have any meaning to the people using it other than a representation of their favorite football team.

If a small percentage of the people hearing it are offended, that's their problem.

Cotton

Staff member
Why is either one acceptable? I have to choose ignorant bullshit now? How about neither.
How about the term midget?

Cotton

Staff member
Oriental

Mexican

Both offensive now from what I can tell.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
People have license to call each other shitty names without being challenged. We get it.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Why can't both be acceptable? Nobody is using it in an offensive way. It's a term that doesn't even have any meaning to the people using it other than a representation of their favorite football team.

If a small percentage of the people hearing it are offended, that's their problem.
I was referring to the false choice Iamtdg was giving.

Top Bottom