Walker: Cowboys top trade, free agent options ahead of 2018 NFL deadline

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Cowboys top trade, free agent options ahead of 2018 NFL deadline[/h]ByPATRIK WALKER Oct 17, 5:52 PM

It's time for the Dallas Cowboys to do away with the bothersome .500 label.

For every win in 2018, they've registered a loss and often due to the fact they haven't figured out how to replicate success within their own offense. It took a 40-7 shellacking of the Jacksonville Jaguars to prove to everyone -- and more importantly, themselves -- of what they're capable, but it's a week-to-week league and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan has proven to be questionable when it comes to adapting his play-calling as needed. They'll now head into FedEx Field to face the Washington Redskins in Week 7, hoping to ascend to a record better than .500 for the first time this season, but they'll do so without wide receiver Tavon Austin who suffered what looks to be a severe groin injury against the Jaguars.

The team believes he'll miss some time and while he awaits a second opinion, there's talk of him potentially landing on injured reserve. For a wide receiver corps that's struggled to make an impact on the season, sans Cole Beasley, injecting some adrenaline to tandem with rookie third-round pick Michael Gallup might just be the medicine to kickstart the struggling passing attack for the longterm as opposed to every other week.

And with that, let's take a look at who the Cowboys should consider trading for and/or what free agents could come in and potentially help them challenge for the NFC East crown, with the NFL trade deadline of Oct. 30 at 4pm EST rapidly approaching.

AMARI COOPER - TRADE

For some odd reason, the Oakland Raiders don't like winning games.

Thanks to the hiring of Jon Gruden as head coach for the next decade at $100 million, they're at the mercy of what he wants in a roster. That included shipping off All-Pro pass rusher Khalil Mack and he's not done, reportedly shopping wide receiver Amari Cooper before the trade deadline. Should the Cowboys give them a call? Well, they definitely should and were probably already dialing the Oakland area code before the price for Cooper was set at a first-round pick. Unless they come off of that ridiculous thought process, hang up the phone Mr. Jones.

Add in the need to improve on not dropping passes, there's no way anything higher than a second-round pick -- and preferably a third -- should even be a consideration.

DEMARYIUS THOMAS - TRADE

This is probably the final go between Thomas and the Broncos, and they'd do well to land assets for his departure.

He's set to hit their salary cap for $14 million in 2019, the last year of his contract, and general manager John Elway might find that a bit much It's no secret the Cowboys need a No. 1 receiver, and Thomas is certainly that, having surpassed 1,000-yards in five of his last six seasons despite abhorrent quarterback play (including the back end of Peyton Manning's career). It was nearly 6/6 if not for the 949-yard outing in 2017, and Thomas also has three seasons with double-digit touchdowns.

A 6-foot-3, 229 lb. All-Pro and Super Bowl winner who's slumped as of late, but a change of scenery to a team with an All-Pro running back to help relieve coverage pressure could do wonders. Line him up opposite Michael Gallup with Cole Beasley in the slot and good luck to opposing defenses.

This requires an improved Dak Prescott though, the biggest caveat in this or any of these potential moves for another proven receiver.

LARRY FITZGERALD - TRADE

I admit, this is a pipe dream but this is my write up, and I simply ask that you play along.

Not that Fitzgerald needs any explanation on why he should be considered here, I'll give you one anyway. The epitome of a professional, the future Hall of Famer is still able to impact games at the ripe age of 35 years old. With issues at quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer, the player so lovingly referred to by all as "Larry Legend" is doing what he can to help the Cardinals, but he's between a rock and a hard place. Even his father has come out recently to blast his team, and it's not like Dallas is far from his beloved state of Arizona. A late-round pick could pry him away and if he'd agree to one final season in 2019, his production plus ability to mentor a player like rookie Michael Gallup would be more than worth making the move.

I'd do it and then George Jefferson strut around the office, if I were Jerry Jones.

DEVANTE PARKER - TRADE

Brice Butler isn't it and, thus far, neither are Allen Hurns or Deonte Thompson.

A former first-round pick out of Louisville, Parker was First-team All-ACC heading into the 2015 NFL Draft, and the Dolphins fell in love with his hands and 4.45s speed. Things are anything but a picnic in the park between the two now, and the Cowboys have been desperately looking for a speedster to take the top off of defenses in 2018. They thought they found it in Austin, but he has only one true receiving touchdown and dropped another, and will be sidelined for a while to come anyway. Queue Thompson, who they would like to believe gives them the same ability, but if that were true then Butler would still be unemployed.

Instead, four games in, Butler himself has played one snap -- again lending to the confusion surrounding what the Cowboys' plan is supposed to be there. Parker has tap-danced near 900 receiving yards on more than one occasion and would be a great look in the X or Y role for the Cowboys, and it helps that he's only 25 years old.

He's set to hit the Dolphins' salary cap for $9.4 million in 2019, putting them in an extend-or-trade situation. For a Cowboys' team that swung $16 million a year at Sammy Watkins when they didn't have much cap space, the fact they'll have over $70 million of it next season makes for a logical go at Parker if they believe he can help this offense.

Spoiler alert. He can.

Fourth-round pick to the Dolphins, and get this man a Cowboys' jersey.

DWAYNE HARRIS - TRADE

Yes, I said it, but hear me out.

Things haven't been remotely the same in the return game for the Cowboys since Harris left for the rival New York Giants following the 2014 season. They have only one return for a touchdown in the last three-plus seasons, and that came by way of a now shipped-off Ryan Switzer. The patience on Lucky Whitehead was ultimately for naught and now Tavon Austin, whom they traded for this offseason with the added goal of using him as a punt returner, has a severe groin injury that'll cost him games going forward. It's Deonte Thompson tasked with running back punts, and he's been equally as unimpressive in his production.

Austin has only 58 yards on kickoffs, and Thompson has only 98 yards on punts. Meanwhile, now signed to an Oakland Raiders' team the Cowboys have recently become accustomed to striking deals with as of late, Harris has 121 punt return yards on eight totes and 83 punt return yards on four attempts. Send a sixth-rounder to Jon Gruden to bring Harris home and not risk Cole Beasley or Jourdan Lewis on return duties.

He's impacting games at both roles in 2018, and no one in the Metroplex is. For a team that needs a shorter field for an inconsistent offense, the importance of a returner can't be overstated.

LANE-SWITCH

There aren't many wideouts I'd trade for, particularly given what the Cowboys already have in the stable with Gallup and the ability to re-sign Beasley, but the four mentioned above have skill sets that intrigue me if you consider marrying them with the current offensive personnel in Dallas.

Ideally, however, the goal would be to land talent without giving up assets, so let's kick the tires on a few free agents -- both obvious and not-so-much.

Follow me, won't you?

FRED ROSS - FREE AGENT

It could be a reunion written in the stars for Ross and Dak Prescott.

The third-year QB knows Ross well from their days together at Mississippi State University, where Ross was Prescott's favorite target. In preparation for the 2017 NFL Draft, he also caught the eye of the Cowboys, who hosted him for more than one visit as they did their due diligence on prospects. A native of Tyler, TX, a two-hour drive east of Dallas, Ross would love to play for a team he grew up rooting for.

"That'd be nice. That'd be really nice," he said at the time, via Dallas Morning News. "It'd be a blessing. It'd be fun to go back to Texas and play in front of my family and play for the Cowboys."

He'd go on to sign as an undrafted free agent with the Carolina Panthers, but suffered a high ankle sprain that landed him on injured reserve and then a hip injury in August 2018, leading to his release. Should he be healthy, the Cowboys could have him for very little financial cost and his instant chemistry with their QB is the definition of "Dak-friendly". Ross finished with 917 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2016, and is the all-time leader in receptions for Mississippi State.

Guess who threw him most of those passes.

JEREMY MACLIN - FREE AGENT

Allen Hurns has Jeremy Maclin to thank for his current place of employment.

As the well-publicized story goes, the Cowboys made a move on the former Jacksonville Jaguars' wide receiver after a whiff on Sammy Watkins, offering him a deal that would've paid him $16 million per season. They went on to convince Hurns to shun more money elsewhere and take up residence in the Metroplex on a very team-friendly contract that stretches for only two years with a maximum value of $12 million, which includes only $2.5 million in guarantees by way of a signing bonus.

Hurns is now displeased with his role in the Cowboys' offense and Maclin remains a free agent, so maybe the team tries to woo the veteran one more time in 2018. They're quite familiar with him from his time with the Philadelphia Eagles, where he routinely gave the Cowboys a hard time. Marlin is no one's No. 1 receiver, but aside from Gallup and Beasley, there isn't a definitive No. 3 or No. 4 in Dallas.

Give him the veteran minimum and hope he can still contribute, and if you need to cut him because he can't, the cap hit would be a laughing emoji.

KENNY BRITT - FREE AGENT

Britt never translated his stellar collegiate career to the NFL, but he wasn't necessarily a bust either.

The former first-round pick is now 30 years old but seemingly has some tread left on his tires, having put up 1,002 receiving yards and five touchdowns with the Los Angeles Rams in 2016. He's not done much since, spending short stints with the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots in 2017, the latter signing him to a two-year deal last season but something went awry just ahead of the Super Bowl -- followed by Bill Belichick making him inactive for the game.

The Patriots would go on to lose.

Now free of Foxboro, you can view Britt in the same aspect as you would Maclin, in the hopes of bringing in a proven veteran with two years left in the tank that could give the Cowboys a definitive No. 3 or No. 4 receiving talent.

Veteran minimum. Low risk, high potential reward.

DEZ BRYANT - FREE AGENT

He would "rather re-sign with the Cowboys".

Bryant has already snubbed at least two known offers as he remains willfully unemployed, having battled depression and anxiety over the past few months, the All-Pro is ready to get back to work and he's made it known he wants to return home to AT&T Stadium. He's even willing to wait until "later in the year" for a shot, if that's how things shake out. Meanwhile, the vitriol that's flown between him and the Cowboys is equivalent to a reality TV show script (you do know those are scripted, yes?), and maybe that's where we've all been hoodwinked a bit.

While we've sat back and watched accusations hurled toward the Cowboys' coaching staff and players -- by name, no less -- along with the weird need for the team's front office to continually bring up Bryant in interviews, there was never any indication that the messy divorce would end in anything more than additional mud-slinging from now until the end of days. What if, and stick with me on this, it was all just for show and Bryant has been secretly waiting for a moment to suit up yet again for a team he's severely loyal to?

Not likely, and the Cowboys are doubling down on that stance even while Jerry Jones takes in concerts with Bryant, but who knows what will happen going forward. It's a divorce that probably should've never happened in the first place, with both sides stumbling to figure things out ever since.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yuck!!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah the one guy I'd be cool with is Parker but is that even realistic? Do the Dolphins even want to dump him? I mean they are 4-2. It's not like they are ready for a fire sale. I think they are frauds and will fall off but I doubt that Dolphins agree with that. And obviously I'd want it at bargain basement prices given his history of injuries and the fact that he has barely played this season.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Is Thomas a has been like Dez?

Amazing how some of these amazing athlete WRs are just hitting a wall around 30 while Fitz is the energizer bunny.

Guessing Thomas relied too much on athleticism as well and not route running.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is Thomas a has been like Dez?

Amazing how some of these amazing athlete WRs are just hitting a wall around 30 while Fitz is the energizer bunny.

Guessing Thomas relied too much on athleticism as well and not route running.
I think part of it too is that everyone's bodies start to break down differently. Plus some players have extreme work ethics while others don't. Especially after getting a big pay day.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
What about Fitz? The Cards may be willing to let him go relatively cheap (for his sake), and he would be a legit option opposite Beasly.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
What about Fitz? The Cards may be willing to let him go relatively cheap (for his sake), and he would be a legit option opposite Beasly.
We need some speed. With Austin gone, we have none again. Moore may be fast, be he's garbage.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know....that guy who plays WR for Dallas.

Oh, Thompson. :lol
Makes way more sense and I agree with you. A nice forty doesn't always translate to on the field and I haven't seen anything out of Thompson indicating to me he has the ability to burn defenses deep.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Makes way more sense and I agree with you. A nice forty doesn't always translate to on the field and I haven't seen anything out of Thompson indicating to me he has the ability to burn defenses deep.
have they even tried going deep to Thompson? I don't recall seeing it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That’s some of Garrett’s shitty offense for ya. Why have speed guys if all they do are 8 yard curl routes?

shane

DCC 4Life
Fitz would be a nice fit here. Id give up a 4th for him

Top Bottom