Vikings Stuff…

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
How the hell are we favored this week? They look like a better team and it's at their place?

I don't get that at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's because the Vikings have been barely scraping along most of the year without a single impressive win until last week, which was an emotional watershed moment type of game that gets lots of hype and often leads to let downs the next week.

They beat the terrible Saints by 3 because the Saints bounced a FG off the upright on the last play of regulation that would've sent it to OT.

They were down 24-14 to Detroit going into the 4th at home.

Down 22-21 late in the 4th at home against the Bears.

Struggled to beat the Dolphins 3rd string QB at home.

Down 17-7 in the 4th against the Skins.

Vegas knows something, and that something is that the Vikings are nowhere near as impressive as their record implies.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It's because the Vikings have been barely scraping along most of the year without a single impressive win until last week, which was an emotional watershed moment type of game that gets lots of hype and often leads to let downs the next week.

They beat the terrible Saints by 3 because the Saints bounced a FG off the upright that would've sent it to OT.

They were down 24-14 to Detroit going into the 4th at home.

Down 22-21 late in the 4th at home against the Bears.

Struggled to beat the Dolphins 3rd string QB at home.

Down 17-7 in the 4th against the Skins.

Vegas knows something, and that something is that the Vikings are nowhere near as impressive as their record implies.
I get that, that has to be what it is, but I don't see how phony they can be with that win last week. If I'm honest, I don't think we could go to Buffalo and win right now even if Allen is less than 100%.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get that, that has to be what it is, but I don't see how phony they can be with that win last week. If I'm honest, I don't think we could go to Buffalo and win right now even if Allen is less than 100%.
It was an impressive win, but also one where they were down double digits for like 75% of the game and needed a 4th and 18 miracle with about a 2% probability to win.

They were dominated most of that game but just had a miraculous ending, it's still impressive because Buffalo is arguably the best team in the league, but Vegas always sees the forest through the trees and knows games like that are outliers that often carry over to the next week in terms of a letdown.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think there's much separating the two teams and one is coming off an embarrassing implosion that they should've won while the other is coming off an emotional high in a game they should've lost.

I'm not at all confident in our run defense anymore because it requires that side of the ball to be honest with themselves and completely shift how they're approaching games, but with that setup, two relatively even teams with one coming off an embarrassment (i.e. they should be very focused/motivated) while the other is coming off an emotional high, that profiles as a potential "surprise" win for the team coming off the embarrassing loss.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Oh I dunno…GAMBLING??
They are right because it's Gambling? I'm not fully on board with rigged games but some of these games lately make me wonder.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
On the other hand though, I think we were underdogs in our first five games and we went 4-1.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They are right because it's Gambling? I'm not fully on board with rigged games but some of these games lately make me wonder.
I don't think games are rigged per se, at least not the majority of the time, but I do think refs generally try to keep games close/competitive by looking the other way or throwing flags at opportune times.

That Bears game was a great example where they ignored some blatant holds on Chicago in the first half when we were up like 28-7 but then when the game tightened in the 3rd they called them for a few ticky tack holds that were way less egregious than some of the stuff I saw in the 2nd quarter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think games are rigged per se, at least not the majority of the time, but I do think refs generally try to keep games close/competitive by looking the other way or throwing flags at opportune times.

That Bears game was a great example where they ignored some blatant holds on Chicago in the first half when we were up like 28-7 but then when the game tightened in the 3rd they called them for a few ticky tack holds that were way less egregious than some of the stuff I saw in the 2nd quarter.
I agree and also I think the NFL had an interest in us not winning with a TD on our first drive in over time. They don't want a tie but the look of a team winning over time by winning a coin toss has been a thorn in their side.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree and also I think the NFL had an interest in us not winning with a TD on our first drive in over time. They don't want a tie but the look of a team winning over time by winning a coin toss has been a thorn in their side.
I didn't think of that but it's possible in such a high profile game where Green Bay made a furious comeback, just to potentially lose on a coin flip. That sequence of events once we crossed midfield (Tolbert penalty when he checked with the ref, the ticky tack hold on McGovern, then the no-call PI on Alexander) was just a little too coincidental to all happen in succession.

I don't think they have a mandate to have a certain outcome (i.e. Dallas not scoring a TD no matter what) because anything can happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were asked to put their thumb on the scales and play the probabilities in certain scenarios (i.e. it's unlikely that Dallas will be able to extend the drive once pushed back into 2nd and 20).

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wouldn't be surprised if it's not wanting Dallas to lose so much as it was wanting Green Bay to stay in the game. They're a marquee name also and Rodgers is an all-timer. One more loss and they were about to be a non-story for the rest of the year.

That said, the refs didn't give up those two bombs.

Top Bottom