One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Damn! Kids these days don't even give a damn about the playoffs.

shoop

Semi-contributing member

He has been injured all season. Wouldn’t really help him anyway unless he had some monster game in the CFP.

Cotton

Staff member

Chance at a Natty and he just says, fuck it I'm going to get paid, fuck this team.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He has been injured all season. Wouldn’t really help him anyway unless he had some monster game in the CFP.
I know he's been injured most of the season. I just assumed with there being a month until the playoff game that he'd be healthy by then.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Drew Sanders, Arkansas LB declared. Likely a late 1/early 2 type.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This guy is a fucking schlub just like Richardson, hope he ends up with one of our division rivals.
I agree except I thought the same thing about Josh Allen and am now eating some crow. So I can't pretend that evaluations are that easy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree except I thought the same thing about Josh Allen and am now eating some crow. So I can't pretend that evaluations are that easy.
It's not but there are way more guys with a similar profile to Allen who bust. I'd imagine it's maybe a 10% proposition that a big, strong armed, mobile guy with shaky mechanics, a tendency to look to run if he can't make a throw within 3 seconds and marginal collegiate production turns into Allen as opposed to say, Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, Christian Ponder, Daniel Jones, EJ Manuel, so on and so forth.

I get the willingness to roll the dice but Richardson and Levis will almost certainly max out as slightly above average QB's, with it just as likely that they're pure busts.

Allen is just a huge outlier.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Michael Mayer, TE Notre Dame declared.

If he makes it within 5 picks of us I'm moving up, assuming we let Schultz go.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The thing about Allen is he had (and has) elite-elite arm talent. Most of those flops like Lynch and Bortles and Ponder never had that.

Doesn't mean top-top arm talent guarantees you anything, just saying he at least had the super high ceiling. A Ponder even maxed out was never going to be very good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing about Allen is he had (and has) elite-elite arm talent. Most of those flops like Lynch and Bortles and Ponder never had that.

Doesn't mean top-top arm talent guarantees you anything, just saying he at least had the super high ceiling. A Ponder even maxed out was never going to be very good.
Yeah, I'm not sure those guys are great examples. They didn't have the physical tools of Levis or Josh Allen. Better example would be someone like Jordan Love. Great arm, mobile and all that good stuff. But I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a real NFL starting QB.

What I will say about Levis is I think everything about the guy is going to depend on who his coach is. You get an offensive coordinator who makes really simple reads for him, uses his athleticism to threaten the defense and takes advantage of the big arm, I think he could have some NFL success. You look at Jalen Hurts and he is doing well this year. I don't predict long term success for the guy but he runs a super simple offense, has elite level O-line and receivers and he looks good and is winning.

I know some will disagree but look at Justin Fields. The Bears have given him no weapons, a shitty O-line and were running a poor offense for him. The guy looks like a bust (Or a RB). Had he gone to the right team, system and everything, we may be talking about him like a Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson. I think Levis will either fail or succeed based on where he goes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Michael Mayer, TE Notre Dame declared.

If he makes it within 5 picks of us I'm moving up, assuming we let Schultz go.
TE's in the first are always a hard sell for me. Just seems like if you need a receiving weapon it's easier to take a WR. I'd rather go with the Ferguson's of this world in the fourth round. Or Schultz's or whoever. If I knew I was getting George Kittle or Travis Kelce I'd absolutely take that in the first. Those are dynamic TE's who are elite receivers in reality. But it just doesn't seem like TE's work out that way in the first.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I'm not sure those guys are great examples. They didn't have the physical tools of Levis or Josh Allen. Better example would be someone like Jordan Love. Great arm, mobile and all that good stuff. But I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a real NFL starting QB.

What I will say about Levis is I think everything about the guy is going to depend on who his coach is. You get an offensive coordinator who makes really simple reads for him, uses his athleticism to threaten the defense and takes advantage of the big arm, I think he could have some NFL success. You look at Jalen Hurts and he is doing well this year. I don't predict long term success for the guy but he runs a super simple offense, has elite level O-line and receivers and he looks good and is winning.

I know some will disagree but look at Justin Fields. The Bears have given him no weapons, a shitty O-line and were running a poor offense for him. The guy looks like a bust (Or a RB). Had he gone to the right team, system and everything, we may be talking about him like a Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson. I think Levis will either fail or succeed based on where he goes.
Lynch and Bortles were similar in terms of arm talent and mobility, perhaps even Manuel as well but definitely Lynch and Bortles.

I agree that the system and coaching has a lot to do with it, but marrying all of that up is rare also, if it was easy the majority of these guys wouldn't be shit.

And it's not like Buffalo was exorbitantly talented right away with Allen, they started off playing very defensive and run-oriented at first then slowly built up around him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
TE's in the first are always a hard sell for me. Just seems like if you need a receiving weapon it's easier to take a WR. I'd rather go with the Ferguson's of this world in the fourth round. Or Schultz's or whoever. If I knew I was getting George Kittle or Travis Kelce I'd absolutely take that in the first. Those are dynamic TE's who are elite receivers in reality. But it just doesn't seem like TE's work out that way in the first.
It's easier because there are more elite WR prospects than TE's on average but Mayer is in that class and likely a better prospect than any WR in this class except Addison and maybe Johnston.

Cotton

Staff member
It's easier because there are more elite WR prospects than TE's on average but Mayer is in that class and likely a better prospect than any WR in this class except Addison and maybe Johnston.
A ton of people said the same thing about Kyle Pitts. I haven't seen elite yet. But, it is early in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom