TV Thread

ZeroClub

UFA
"Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul" (Netflix) - It's about the NBA referee who was caught betting on games.

Even if you have zero interest in the NBA, it is well worth watching.

I've always been deeply skeptical of claims that given referees aren't playing it straight, but watching this, you definitely see how it can happen. The whole time I'm watching, I'm asking myself why the same thing couldn't happen in the NFL. Maybe it has.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Schwarzenegger documentary on Netflix is quite good. 2/3rds of the way through.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
"Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul" (Netflix) - It's about the NBA referee who was caught betting on games.

I've always been deeply skeptical of claims that given referees aren't playing it straight, but watching this, you definitely see how it can happen. The whole time I'm watching, I'm asking myself why the same thing couldn't happen in the NFL. Maybe it has.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's happening in every sport today, including in the NBA still.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

It has been going on for a while.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
The NBA is the most corrupt and has been for at least 20 years now. Dwyane Wade getting the Jordan treatment in that Mavs finals series is one of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen in sports.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The NBA is the most corrupt and has been for at least 20 years now. Dwyane Wade getting the Jordan treatment in that Mavs finals series is one of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen in sports.
How hard would it be for NFL officials to do the same thing?

Not hard at all.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
How hard would it be for NFL officials to do the same thing?

Not hard at all.
The NBA has other things going on, like extending a series so everyone makes more money. At least football doesn't have that when every playoff is one game only.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The NBA has other things going on, like extending a series so everyone makes more money. At least football doesn't have that when every playoff is one game only.
That still does not erase the notion. In fact, the stakes are far higher.

ZeroClub

UFA
"Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul" (Netflix) touches on two sources of bias.

Bias at the official level - referees acting on their own, out of a personal grudge, out of retaliation for a perceived slight, for personal profit (gambling), etc.

Bias initiated at the league level - the league subtly pressuring officials for certain outcomes (non-calls for given stars, pushing a series to 7 games, etc.).

These seem pretty different to me. I'd guess that the league would be very uncomfortable with the first.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
Bias initiated at the league level - the league subtly pressuring officials for certain outcomes (non-calls for given stars, pushing a series to 7 games, etc.).
This is the one I was talking about. I wasn't even going to the Tim Donaghy type corruption where the official is gambling, has mob problems, etc.

But basketball is so easy to fix. Imagine if Tyron Smith could only get three holding calls per game, and he gets two cheap ones in the first half. We've all seen many times in the NBA where the star and maybe another key player get some early cheap fouls and that team barely has a chance with its best players on the bench.

ZeroClub

UFA
This is the one I was talking about. I wasn't even going to the Tim Donaghy type corruption where the official is gambling, has mob problems, etc.

But basketball is so easy to fix. Imagine if Tyron Smith could only get three holding calls per game, and he gets two cheap ones in the first half. We've all seen many times in the NBA where the star and maybe another key player get some early cheap fouls and that team barely has a chance with its best players on the bench.
I haven't watched the NBA since the late 1990's, but I don't doubt your point. It was apparent in the 1990's too.

I'm curious what the board would have to say about this:

Today, what would be the league's incentive to hold the Cowboys down? How would it pay the league?

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
Today, what would be the league's incentive to hold the Cowboys down? How would it pay the league?
Maybe Jerry's rebel image and, lately, the way he tried to get Goodell fired. I heard some business owner who had dealt with the NFL say Goodell was extremely petty and vindictive against anyone who tried to cross him.

Taking our team out of it, look at how the Raiders lead the league in penalties for all those years when Al was at war with them.

ZeroClub

UFA
Maybe Jerry's rebel image and, lately, the way he tried to get Goodell fired. I heard some business owner who had dealt with the NFL say Goodell was extremely petty and vindictive against anyone who tried to cross him.

Taking our team out of it, look at how the Raiders lead the league in penalties for all those years when Al was at war with them.
I can see the vindictiveness angle.

Top Bottom