Troy Aikman rips Cowboys’ usage of CeeDee Lamb vs. 49ers: ‘The game is not that difficult’

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's because Kurt Warner is a decorated vet who's been asking the NFL for over 25 years.

If you told me that someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick was going to be the QB coach back in 2018, I wouldn't have a problem with it because of Fitzpatrick's length of nfl experience. Moore on the other hand only had about 5 years of experience to his credit.
And his experience wasn't exactly playing under brilliant NFL minds for the most part.

I'm sure Warner enjoys what he does and doesn't want to take an assistant job like coaching QBs but yeah I think he would be good at it. Just like someone like Romo would have been great at it. But it's also a huge paycut for someone like that who makes a small fortune announcing games and working less hours.

Maybe that's why it's the Kellen Moore types who get those jobs instead. There is no media job waiting for them and they didn't make that much money playing.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
WhT happened to David Lee? I thought he was instrumental in Romo’s development. He isn’t even working right now. Wonder if that is on purpose.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's because Kurt Warner is a decorated vet who's been around the NFL for over 25 years.

If you told me that someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick was going to be the QB coach back in 2018, I wouldn't have a problem with it because of Fitzpatrick's length of nfl experience. Moore on the other hand only had about 5 years of experience to his credit.
Moore has been around football coaching since he was a young pup. He came to the NFL with a pretty good dose of Coaching knowledge.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jerruh? Is that you!?!?
Nope, and it’s true. He both played the game since early childhood and devised plays as a kid with his dad. He is a better student of the game than a player of the game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nope, and it’s true. He both played the game since early childhood and devised plays as a kid with his dad. He is a better student of the game than a player of the game.

While all of that may be true, I fail to see how that qualifies him to be an NFL OC.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is like me claiming since I played Tecmo Bowl and played football in HS I deserve a NFL OC job

p1_

DCC 4Life
What about coordinator of said game ?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sounds like the Garrett homers: He was like another coach as he held that clipboard! And his deddy was a coach so they were designing plays on the breakfast table before he could walk!

Meh. That's not coaching.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Charging Kellen Moore with the development of Dak was an incredibly bad idea from the start.

Moore joined the staff in 2018 as the QB coach with no coaching experience. Dak was coming off a pretty disappointing 2017 season and obviously needed an experienced coach guiding him. Saddling him with a clueless newbie was a recipe for disaster.

It just goes to show how little the Jones family thinks coaching matters.
Exactly. The whole attraction of Moore was his being buddies with Dak going back to when they were both players together. Jerry would rather the player be comfortable than be coached hard.

I don't think he cares if a third string linebacker is coached hard, but when it's one of the pet players with a huge contract, Jerry wants them to be happy more than anything.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Moore had his moments, just not enough of them. When you have talent, there’s always a counter to every defense, and Moore really lacked the experience to coach the team through challenges.

If you dump him though, you literally throw the baby out with the bath water. Feel like someone else would benefit from our growing pains then. There has to be better experienced up and comer out there, right? Thing is there’s a ton of teams who will be interviewing them

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If you dump him though, you literally throw the baby out with the bath water. Feel like someone else would benefit from our growing pains then.

I don't care about that. Good for them if that happens. Sometimes a guy needs a change of scenery to grow anyway.

In the mean time, give me a guy who knows what he's doing right now, where we won't have to cross our fingers that he will figure it out. Give me a guy who isn't going to waste the primes years of the star players I have right now while he learns.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't care about that. Good for them if that happens. Sometimes a guy needs a change of scenery to grow anyway.

In the mean time, give me a guy who knows what he's doing right now, where we won't have to cross our fingers that he will figure it out. Give me a guy who isn't going to waste the primes years of the star players I have right now while he learns.
I mean Sean Payton today isn't the Sean Payton who left Dallas or the one stripped of play calling when he left the Giants. So yeah Moore may get there but how long is it going to take. Sean Payton has been a coach for a long ass time to get where he is.

At this point Moore is still learning and developing. We can't just hold out hope that years from now he is special.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd love to bring in a top line QB coach for Dak. Who could maybe also help Kellen Moore out more. I mean shit Kurt Warner has never been a coach and he seems to have pretty damn good insights into what is wrong with the offense.

Yet I'm not really sure our QB coach knows what the hell he is doing.
You think Marty Funkhouser does not know what the hell he is doing?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You think Marty Funkhouser does not know what the hell he is doing?
I don't really know much about Doug Nussmeier other than he had like a total of 2 years coaching in the NFL under Linehan. Otherwise almost all of his experience is at the collegiate level. Maybe he is a great QB coach. But I don't really have a resume to go off of on the guy and I've never heard him speak. And frankly lets face it, no one is beating down his door for an OC interview.

He still has the Linehan, Garrett stink on him that I'd prefer to move on from unless he is some great coach that no one else seems to know about.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The thing is, Aikman didn't just criticize the play calling, he called the whole shit show DYSFUNCTIONAL. So rearranging deck chairs here and there, a QB coach for Prescott, say, doesn't resolve anything.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A lot of you have much to say about who is to blame but I haven’t heard anything concrete to show where the problem is. If you feel after a season the Cowboys had getting to the playoffs then how did it all come undone at the playoff level. The same people were there as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Cowboys were within a couple of plays from retiring the 49ers who in turn put away the packers on their home turf which would have possibly made the Cowboys good enough to be playing in the NFC championship this weekend. they were not bums being coached by inferior coaches. They made some silly decisions at crucial times

data

Forbes #1
The Cowboys were within a couple of plays from retiring the 49ers who in turn put away the packers on their home turf which would have possibly made the Cowboys good enough to be playing in the NFC championship this weekend. they were not bums being coached by inferior coaches. They made some silly decisions at crucial times
I’m with @Shiningstar on this one

Top Bottom