Trevon Diggs Tears ACL - Out For Season

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the real issue, that it likely takes the defense down from potentially generational to just one of the best or the best in the league at the moment. Calling it a "mortal wound" is preposterous, especially when the defense rolled the Bucs and 49ers in the playoffs last year with Diggs/Bland/Mukuamu at CB.
Well if you think we were going to kick everyone’s ass, it is a mortal blow.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They play a ton of nickel and dime, and they have Lewis on a snap count right now, so let's not kid ourselves that we can wave this away with our depth. I'm guessing we're going to need to see what Igbinoghene can do.

On a positive note, the timing isn't horrible, with Arizona and New England up the next two weeks. Plenty of time to get things sorted out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well if you think we were going to kick everyone’s ass, it is a mortal blow.
Sure, although I still expect this team to compete for the Super Bowl, I'm just less confident than I was previously. But I still think we're on par with the 49ers and better than the Eagles.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They play a ton of nickel and dime, and they have Lewis on a snap count right now, so let's not kid ourselves that we can wave this away with our depth. I'm guessing we're going to need to see what Igbinoghene can do.

On a positive note, the timing isn't horrible, with Arizona and New England up the next two weeks. Plenty of time to get things sorted out.
We barely ever play 4 CB's though, all the 6 DB packages are 3 CB's and 3 safeties.

Lewis being on a snap count and/or rusty is a good point, and while he looked fine Sunday they have to be careful with him.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I think it's survivable. Simp is right, it's a deep position for us plus we have the best pass rush in the league.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The best way I can put it in terms of our depth is last year we basically played Diggs/Brown/Lewis exclusively for about the first half of the season until Brown/Lewis got hurt. We still had an elite defense with that CB group, but is that trio better than Gilmore/Bland/Lewis?

Assuming Lewis is healthy, I'm probably going with the second group since Bland is significantly better than Brown.

Another interesting thing is that in the playoffs we only played a 3rd CB (Mukuamu) for 45% and 32% of the snaps against Tampa and SF respectively. I'd have to go back to see the all-22 but I think we used Kearse and Wilson a bit more in the slot there.

Top Bottom