Travis Frederick Diagnosed With Guillain Barre Syndrome

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Wasn't he standing on the sidelines? I suspect he has a pretty mild case.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
They can't put him on PUP. He's already practiced. Can't put him on NFI, either. It's either IR or carry him.

And they can't IR him now, or they'd have to expose him to waivers, where he'd certainly be claimed regardless of his illness. So he has to make the final 53, then IR'd after week 1.
How would putting him on IR expose him to waivers? It's Injured Reserve not waiving his rights. He's under contract. Players injured in camp get put on IR every year and I've never heard of that cancelling out a team's right to the player.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Working out?

That's very interesting, even though "working out" could theoretically mean anything.

The chances of him playing sometime this season seem to be very high, which would be a nice surprise.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Working out?

That's very interesting, even though "working out" could theoretically mean anything.

The chances of him playing sometime this season seem to be very high, which would be a nice surprise.
Yeah, any sort of working out means he is not destitute, which is a great thing for him, most importantly, but for the team, as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, any sort of working out means he is not destitute, which is a great thing for him, most importantly, but for the team, as well.
Yeah if we have seen the worst of his disease I think that's pretty promising for a quick return.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

deadrise

DCC 4Life
If there's a lesson in all this, it's the next time someone posts: "if we draft so-and-so we'll be set at left tackle (fill in the OL position) for the next ten years."

I saw that when Smith was drafted, most notably, but for some reason it seems to take hold among enthusiastic fan-boys whenever a gold-plated, stud O-lineman (or a few other positions) is drafted. Three months ago the Cowboys o-line was the Rock of Gibraltar, the foundation for an offensive juggernaut.

Now? Not so much.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If there's a lesson in all this, it's the next time someone posts: "if we draft so-and-so we'll be set at left tackle (fill in the OL position) for the next ten years."

I saw that when Smith was drafted, most notably, but for some reason it seems to take hold among enthusiastic fan-boys whenever a gold-plated, stud O-lineman (or a few other positions) is drafted. Three months ago the Cowboys o-line was the Rock of Gibraltar, the foundation for an offensive juggernaut.

Now? Not so much.
I'd say there is a reasonable expectation that if a guy pans out when you draft him that high, you can get 8-10 years out of him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say there is a reasonable expectation that if a guy pans out when you draft him that high, you can get 8-10 years out of him.
Yeah especially with an O-lineman. And honestly at this point I still see no reason that Frederick won't play 10 years here.

Besides, when you literally refuse to sign any big names in free agency you sure as shit better be drafting guys who will last more than 4 or 5 years. Otherwise your team will perpetually suck.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Which player has been performing at a high level for 8 - 10 years with the Cowboys? Or, for that matter, which player, for any team, having been drafted high, and then signing a lucrative, expensive long-term contract, after his rookie contract, hasn't been cut lose after a few seasons?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Or, for that matter, which player, for any team, having been drafted high, and then signing a lucrative, expensive long-term contract, after his rookie contract, hasn't been cut lose after a few seasons?
Day drinking, eh?

Cool.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My point is that 10 years is an absurd amount of time to count on any player being around. Injuries, cap situations, etc.
Uh.... Demarcus Ware? Terence Newman? Greg Ellis? Like every time we pick in the top 10.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
8 seems to be relatively common for a “hit.” It does seem like even very good players often seem to hit their wall, at least in Dallas, by year 9 or 10.

12 is more rare. In the last 20 years, it’s like, Witten, Greg Ellis and Flozell Adams.

But I think we have a handful of 8-9 year guys that we’ve cut too early who could have been 12 year guys.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's going back a ways, you have to admit.
Tyron Smith is getting pretty close, and his pick really set off the good drafting that we've enjoyed recently.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Uh.... Demarcus Ware? Terence Newman? Greg Ellis? Like every time we pick in the top 10.
We’ve been fortunate. Can you imagine the reaction if we landed a bust in the top ten?

Even still, most players don’t last ten full seasons.

Top Bottom