Training Camp Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Lal praise continues. I don't think I have ever seen this much praise for a position coach before.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The boycott is WORKING!!! /billboard

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The Lal praise continues. I don't think I have ever seen this much praise for a position coach before.
Same here and it makes me wonder why he's on his fifth team or whatever it is.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I feel like we have.
We have. Hudson Houck, Norv Turner, and Dave Wannstedt are just a few that come to mind. I'm sure that there are more.

I think maybe it feels different because he isnt an established coach here, yet. Just a few months and praise is being heaped on him but we really havent seen the results yet.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We have. Hudson Houck, Norv Turner, and Dave Wannstedt are just a few that come to mind. I'm sure that there are more.

I think maybe it feels different because he isnt an established coach here, yet. Just a few months and praise is being heaped on him but we really havent seen the results yet.
I feel like even aside from that. We drooled over the Strength and conditioning coach.... Woicik, who came back from the Pats. Marinelli was the DL coach, we wanted him so bad we made him the DC. That's without hardly thinking. I'm sure we've loved position coaches before, way more than Lal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't remember any of them getting so much hype from the players. Our WR's talk of Lal like he is teaching them stuff they never knew before. But it's always hard to judge the impact of a position coach. Especially at a position like WR. I don't think you can really judge a WR's coach based solely on the production of the WRs because there are so many factors that impact receivers production. The type of offense you run, the number of passing attempts you throw a game and the type of talent that the coach is given. It's why you can't just look at the Colt's WR's production and say he is an average coach or a bad coach. Without Luck their QB position has been awful. So is that why the WR's haven't put up better numbers. Or is it because Lal isn't that good of a coach and the QB is struggling because of that.

I will say, I've been pleasantly surprised by Austin. I did not have high hopes for him when we brought him in because I thought he was a gadget guy. But I actually like what I've seen so far. Looks like he may get a chance to actually stretch defenses. Something I thought he was tailored made for when he was drafted so highly. If Austin even puts up good numbers here this season I'll be singing the mans praises. If he is even a 600 yard receiver here it would easily be his best season in the NFL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't remember any of them getting so much hype from the players. Our WR's talk of Lal like he is teaching them stuff they never knew before. But it's always hard to judge the impact of a position coach. Especially at a position like WR. I don't think you can really judge a WR's coach based solely on the production of the WRs because there are so many factors that impact receivers production. The type of offense you run, the number of passing attempts you throw a game and the type of talent that the coach is given. It's why you can't just look at the Colt's WR's production and say he is an average coach or a bad coach. Without Luck their QB position has been awful. So is that why the WR's haven't put up better numbers. Or is it because Lal isn't that good of a coach and the QB is struggling because of that.

I will say, I've been pleasantly surprised by Austin. I did not have high hopes for him when we brought him in because I thought he was a gadget guy. But I actually like what I've seen so far. Looks like he may get a chance to actually stretch defenses. Something I thought he was tailored made for when he was drafted so highly. If Austin even puts up good numbers here this season I'll be singing the mans praises. If he is even a 600 yard receiver here it would easily be his best season in the NFL.
This was what I was talking about. Not what fans thought of the coach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was what I was talking about. Not what fans thought of the coach.
Not fans and not just the team talking heads.

I think Mike Pope may have gotten some big props from the players but I can't remember that well. I know he brought some "innovative" ideas to the TE room at least.

Rev

Staff member
Im sure there have always been reports of players preference of coaches. Probably just didnt get covered as much with all of the social media and interviews that happen now.

Rev

Staff member
Not exactly powerhouse teams on his resume.
Well dont judge the team. Judge what he had to work with and what he did with the WRs.

So far it seems to be positive with Austin.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Well dont judge the team. Judge what he had to work with and what he did with the WRs.

So far it seems to be positive with Austin.

I can't understand why a guy who has bounced around among third-rate, perennially mediocre organizations, and who was obviously not valued by those organizations, would be cause for such optimism.

Unless Dooley was just so atrocious as a coach. In which case that's a huge black mark against Garrett and Linehan. (Dooley was from their family tree.)

It may be that someone above Garrett and Marinelli said "We're bringing in people who will make up for your shortcomings as coaches. They report to us, not you."

Rev

Staff member
I can't understand why a guy who has bounced around among third-rate, perennially mediocre organizations, and who was obviously not valued by those organizations, would be cause for such optimism.

Unless Dooley was just so atrocious as a coach. In which case that's a huge black mark against Garrett and Linehan. (Dooley was from their family tree.)

It may be that someone above Garrett and Marinelli said "We're bringing in people who will make up for your shortcomings as coaches. They report to us, not you."
Position coaches move around from time to time for various reasons and it doesnt necessarily mean it was the teams decision either. Hudson Houck had a pretty good reputation as a coach and was with 5 different teams. If the players respond to him I dont care how many teams that he has been with.

As far as perennial third rate organizations we only have to look at our own team (as far as playoffs are concerned). I guess all we can really do is wait and see!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Position coaches move around from time to time for various reasons and it doesnt necessarily mean it was the teams decision either. Hudson Houck had a pretty good reputation as a coach and was with 5 different teams. If the players respond to him I dont care how many teams that he has been with.

As far as perennial third rate organizations we only have to look at our own team (as far as playoffs are concerned). I guess all we can really do is wait and see!
:drums

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah no kidding. Position coaches make lots of stops. They get hired because of a new head coach. They get fired because of a new head coach. They sign with other teams because their contracts expired. There are lots of reasons a position coach is with multiple teams. It doesn't mean that those teams were getting rid of Lal because he was no good.

And hell even great coaches get kicked to the curb. That's basically how we got Sean Payton once upon a time. And I don't think anyone would call him a shitty coach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom