Training Camp/OTA's Chatter Thread...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Rookies out to earn star
May, 17, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- As has been the case since Jason Garrett took over as Dallas Cowboys head coach, the rookies have to earn the star on their helmets.

When Ben Gardner arrived at Stanford, the "S" was on the side of his helmet. When the defensive end arrived on Monday, his helmet did not have a star.

“You understand when you come into this locker room you’ve got earn it,” Gardner said. “The star is a little bit different. It’s one of those things that almost gives you chills at first. I’m happy to work for it and excited to earn it and one day put it on our helmets.”

At the pre-rookie minicamp meeting, Garrett told the player of the value of the star.

“You’ve got to earn your star,” first-round pick Zack Martin said. “We realize we’re rookies and at the bottom of the table. We’ve got a ways to go and we’re willing to work for it.”
Yea ok whatever, every pick from Martin to Street is guaranteed a spot..otherwise it would reflect badly on Jerral's drafting acumen

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yea ok whatever, every pick from Martin to Street is guaranteed a spot..otherwise it would reflect badly on Jerral's drafting acumen
Yep, and that fact can be solidified with two words. Matt. Johnson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout's Eye: Tryout Guys Make Some Noise In Second Practice

Posted 13 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus

IRVING, Texas – Here’s a Scout’s Eye review of Friday’s second minicamp practice.

• In the morning practice, I thought that Terrance Mitchell was the best player in the secondary, while in the afternoon session, Tyler Patmon out of Oklahoma State was that guy. Patmon is on the field this week as a tryout player and he is making a strong case to be signed to the training camp roster as soon as this camp is over. Whether it was the 7-on-7 or the team period, Patmon was outstanding. He didn’t give an inch in any of his opportunities and it started in the 7-on-7 when Chris Boyd tried to run a curl on him where Patmon arrived the exact same time as the ball and ripped it away from Boyd. Later in the drill, he comes off his coverage to drive on the ball thrown underneath to the tight end, knocking it away. Patmon had such a good afternoon that Monte Kiffin told a group of reports after practice, that he needed to learn his name because he was making plays like a “young Ronde Barber out there.” High praise for a guy just trying to get someone to notice him.

•There is something to this Ryan Smith of Auburn. With Jocquel Skinner suffering a leg injury early in the practice, Smith had to line up and take some reps at cornerback when his natural position is safety. I have to give him credit that he did not look out of place or appeared to struggle with his technique. He was smooth with his pedal and was able to hang in there when the receiver tried to carry him across the field, undercutting the route. He has also done a nice job of playing his natural position of safety reacting to the ball in his area as well. The only knock that I have had against this guy and it was on his tape, is that he will struggle as a consistent tackler.

• Receiver L’Damian Washington looked far more comfortable in the Friday afternoon practice than he did in the morning. He did a really poor job of freeing himself in the morning and it was a struggle for him getting in and out of those routes. He played like he had never seen press man coverage in his life and his play suffered for it. In the afternoon, he came onto the practice field with more of a purpose and plan which I bet had to do with a between practice film session with receivers coach, Derek Dooley. Washington appeared to do a better job of battling the cornerbacks while he was working up the field and in doing so, he was able to free himself for some quality catches and show the skills that these coaches and scouts believed that he processed.

•A pleasant surprise along the defensive line has been the play of Dartwan Bush, defensive end from Texas Tech. Bush is like Tyler Patmon in that he too is trying to play his way onto this roster for training camp. Bush doesn’t have the best measureables but there were some snaps in the one-on-one pass rush drills on Friday afternoon, where he was able to grab the corner and create some pressure off the edge. He has shown the ability to dip his shoulder, getting his arm under the blocker, which is ideal technique. There is nothing special or unique about his game but his effort has been outstanding and along with his ability to finish, has got him noticed in that regard.

•Unless you are from the state of Texas or a fan of the Big 12, you’ve probably not heard of running back Ben Malena of Texas A&M. It has been very clear that the star of Dallas Day this past April, has been the best back in this camp. He has shown some nice quickness with the ball in his hands. He has been difficult for linebackers to cover out of the backfield and has been very natural catching the ball. He is not the tallest guy at 5-8, 193 but when you stand next to him, he is a well put together player that looks physically stronger than Lance Dunbar. I don’t believe he is as an explosive player as Dunbar or has his long speed but you get my idea of that type of player. In talking to guys that have been around Malena during his college days at A&M, the word “tough” is consistently used. Through two practices, there is no doubt he is on a mission to find a spot on this club.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Martin can't help but notice offensive line vets watching him in first rookie minicamp practice

Out of the corner of his eye, Zack Martin had to notice them.

Doug Free, Tyron Smith and Mackenzy Bernadeau watching from the sideline.

“Yeah,” Martin said. “I saw them.”

The veteran linemen showed a ton of interest in the work of Martin at right guard on his first day of rookie minicamp practice Friday. They already knew his work in the classroom. They were getting a first look at it on the field.

“That’s been going on in football for a long, long time,” coach Jason Garrett said. “When you bring a new crew of guys in, guys who have been here for a while kind of want to check out what the competition is. And that’s a good thing for your team. We’re always trying to create competition. We want to make our team better on all different levels. And the veteran players typically do that. They want to keep an eye on who’s coming in.”

Martin, the Cowboys’ first-round pick, said the veterans have been helpful in their first exposure to him.

“We’ve got to work with them and meet with them a few times this week, so we’ve gotten to meet them and kind of be in the same room a couple days,” Martin said. “They’re a great group of guys. They’re willing to help you whenever you need it. Travis and Doug and Tyron and all those guys have been great.”

Martin said Free has an eye for technique.

“Technique is something you’ve got to get used to, and reps,” he said. “Doug’s like another coach on the field. Doug’s been through it for a bunch of years now. So maybe if he sees something that Coach doesn’t see, he’ll come over and correct me.”

Other veterans also watched practice, including Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and Brandon Carr.

“I think they’re just watching and seeing how we carry ourselves, if we can contribute to the team and just evaluating us,” fifth-round receiver Devin Street said. “Everything is an evaluation. Everything. From just walking in here, you’re posture, just evaluating what we can bring to the team.”

-- Carlos Mendez

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't see any reason to think Spencer is dogging it. He's legitimately injured.
He is but he has been injured about half of his career. He has fallen in love with the feel of the bench on his butt in my opinion.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Spencer stands to lose money if he's truly dogging it. His deal cuts his salary if he starts the year on PUP.

I think Spencer played injured last year so he could make sure he made the roster and get paid. This year Dallas protected themselves a bit, and Spencer can't fake being healthy long enough to avoid PUP.

I doubt Spencer will do much if anything. I'd rather see Okoye to tell the truth. As much a crap sandwich as he might be, at least he's not injured and over 30.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
IRVING, Texas -- As has been the case since Jason Garrett took over as Dallas Cowboys head coach, the rookies have to earn the star on their helmets.
I thought fat Bill started that stupidity?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Spencer stands to lose money if he's truly dogging it. His deal cuts his salary if he starts the year on PUP.

I think Spencer played injured last year so he could make sure he made the roster and get paid. This year Dallas protected themselves a bit, and Spencer can't fake being healthy long enough to avoid PUP.

I doubt Spencer will do much if anything. I'd rather see Okoye to tell the truth. As much a crap sandwich as he might be, at least he's not injured and over 30.
He would lose some money this season but if he thinks he can rehab during the year he might decide not to risk further injury and make up the difference with a contract next year with another team.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
He would lose some money this season but if he thinks he can rehab during the year he might decide not to risk further injury and make up the difference with a contract next year with another team.
If he does that no team will offer him more than a one year vet. min. "prove it" contract. Might as well use this one for that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's actually a cool idea. Not surprisingly it was a Parcells gem that Garrett recycled.
It is cool coming from Parcells. Coming from a robot trainee like Garrett, not so much.

Top Bottom