Trade Dez Bryant?

radkowboy

Brand New Member
What kind of trade value do you think Dez Bryant would have in the market today? With the current state the Cowboys are in combined with the fact that the Cowboys may not be able to sign him next year, wouldn't it make sense to try and trade him this year and possibly gain multiple picks in this years draft. Would Dez Bryant possibly be worth a first and second round pick this year to St. Louis? Any thoughts?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Trade the ONE player with heart on the team who just so happens to be a top 5 player at his position?

No damn way.....especially since those extra draft picks aren't gonna net anything with our front office.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I'm with Ace. I keep Dez around to build a team around him. I wouldn't want to risk not being able to get another star WR.

radkowboy

Brand New Member
Sure you will have Dez for this year but what about next year? Do you really think we will have enough cap space to sign him to the deal he will want? Why not get something for him now instead watch him walk next year for nothing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry will just franchise him if he can't sign him. Dez isn't going anywhere.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sure you will have Dez for this year but what about next year? Do you really think we will have enough cap space to sign him to the deal he will want? Why not get something for him now instead watch him walk next year for nothing.
I think we will make room to sign him and Tyron both. No way do I see Jerry letting either of them walk.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My thoughts are to get this season under our belt first. There are plenty of hypothetical to deal with with the immediate situation before we get to far into the future. Compliments of the For What It's Worth Department.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Maybe if you could get a stud DL for him. If not, why trust teh Jer with draft picks?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

radkowboy

Brand New Member
Where would we come up with the $13 million dollars of cap space to do that?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Are you talking about this year? Next year we will have some relief and franchising him is just a last ditch effort. Regardless they will just kick the can down the road just like they always do.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I don't think any GM but Jerry would give up a 1st & 2nd for a WR -- a somewhat unstable WR at that. It's not that hard to get your #1 WR in the draft.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
First, his cap hit is extremely unlikely to be anywhere near that high in the first couple of years of a new deal.

Second, wth Ware off the books, there's your money without having to do anything else.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Actually, it depends on what you could get. If, say, Oakland was dumb enough to give up the 5th overall pick and a second rounder next year, do you do it?

I think I would.

I use that 5th overall pick on JaDaveon Clowney or Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews. Those guys are sure-fire studs at arguably more important positions.

You commit to a total rebuild if you do that though. Start pawning off other assets. Build around Tyron Smith - Travis Frederick - Greg Robinson on the OL. Use 16 and our second to start on the DL.

Find a young QB as well, though due to Romo's cap hit, he has to stay for now.

You can find WRs in this draft in the 3rd-4th-5th rounds, easy. It's deep at WR. They aren't as good as Dez obviously, but they are good enough that if you get 2, and you pair them with Williams and Beasley, the cabinet isn't bare.

data

Forbes #1
Welcome to the DCC!

I understand your point and see the validity, I'd say to keep Dez.

Even in times of rebuilding, we can't dump every superstar. We still have to keep a nucleus to build around.

Demarcus ware was too old, so it makes sense to sever ties. Dez has another 7 years, hopefully, and is worth the big money to keep around.

radkowboy

Brand New Member
Actually, it depends on what you could get. If, say, Oakland was dumb enough to give up the 5th overall pick and a second rounder next year, do you do it?

I think I would.

I use that 5th overall pick on JaDaveon Clowney or Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews. Those guys are sure-fire studs at arguably more important positions.

You commit to a total rebuild if you do that though. Start pawning off other assets. Build around Tyron Smith - Travis Frederick - Greg Robinson on the OL. Use 16 and our second to start on the DL.

You can find WRs in this draft in the 3rd-4th-5th rounds, easy. It's deep at WR. They aren't as good as Dez obviously, but they are good enough that if you get 2, and you pair them with Williams and Beasley, the cabinet isn't bare.
I agree with you totally. I have no problem with Dez, in fact I think he is the only player we have that could garner enough interest from other teams. I do think there is a teams out there that would give up 2 picks for him. Realistically we are rebuilding now so why not go all in.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I think I would.

I agree with you totally. I have no problem with Dez, in fact I think he is the only player we have that could garner enough interest from other teams. I do think there is a teams out there that would give up 2 picks for him. Realistically we are rebuilding now so why not go all in.
This is all hypothetical and wouldn't happen, so I won't even entertain the idea.

If Jerry changed today and stepped aside, then I'd be all for rebuilding this team and would even be willing to listen to offers for Dez. But that's not what's happening nor is it going to.

A true rebuild consists of taking a QB in the first 2 rounds of the draft, and Jerry Jones still views Romo as an in-his-prime 27 year old, so you can forget that idea too.

So since we aren't going to be going through the proper process of a rebuild, then there's no sense in trading the one elite playmaker we have who also happens to have the most passion for winning that we've seen around here since Michael Irvin.

Top Bottom