Time to just call it a season and get ready for next year?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
*May* be better than Garrett?
Exhibit A McVay is better than gingerfuck-

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm still fairly new here, but Schmitty strikes me as one of those guys overly impressed with Garrett's education, appearance, demeanor, etc. Things that might look good on the surface but are basically meaningless when it comes to coaching football.
We give the guy shit, but he's a smart guy. I like the Schmidtler.

But I honestly couldn't tell you why he thinks so fondly of the guy.

He claims that he thinks Garrett is average and that he too sees his flaws, but then he turns around and refuses to buy into anyone being an upgrade to him that isn't some HOF-caliber coach.

No matter who you name that isn't part of that aforementioned group, he will always have a "Yea but..." response to it.

That doesn't sound like someone who thinks Garrett is bad coach. It sounds more like someone that doesn't want to see the guy go.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We're 8 games into McVay's career. Let's not declare him a top tier coach just yet.
I won't argue that, but he's already accomplished something Garrett hasn't.....and that is taking an awful team considered to not have much talent and turn into a winner overnight.

Garrett had Romo in his prime and only took him to the playoffs once in 4 seasons.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We give the guy shit, but he's a smart guy. I like the Schmidtler.

But I honestly couldn't tell you why he thinks so fondly of the guy.

He claims that he thinks Garrett is average and that he too sees his flaws, but then he turns around and refuses to buy into anyone being an upgrade to him that isn't some HOF-caliber coach.

No matter who you name that isn't part of that aforementioned group, he will always have a "Yea but..." response to it.

That doesn't sound like someone who thinks Garrett is bad coach. It sounds more like someone that doesn't want to see the guy go.
An average coach is getting us 12-4 and 13-3.

I'm not ready to throw that away on the possibility that we hire a bum.

Which is a very real possibility when Jerry Jones is doing the picking. I refuse to sign on for an open-ended coaching search. I want a target who we know is an upgrade.

I say "I refuse," not implying that what I want has any bearing on anything, just saying I don't support it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I won't argue that, but he's already accomplished something Garrett hasn't.....and that is taking an awful team considered to not have much talent and turn into a winner overnight.
I don't agree with that at all. The Rams have great defensive talent and were considered vast underachievers on that side of the ball. They also have a stud running back and the first overall pick at QB.

Credit to him for doing that. His future looks bright. He may establish himself as a top coach.

But I don't think what he is doing right now is more impressive than getting a team with a rookie QB and rookie RB to go 13-3, a team that we all just wrote off completely when Romo went down with his back injury against Seattle. We were ready to mail it in.

Garrett did a great job last year. This year, not so much. Hasn't been able to overcome the curveballs thrown at the team this year so well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm still fairly new here, but Schmitty strikes me as one of those guys overly impressed with Garrett's education, appearance, demeanor, etc. Things that might look good on the surface but are basically meaningless when it comes to coaching football.
Education and appearance, no.

Demeanor, yes. And if you think his professional approach is "meaningless" when it comes to coaching football, that is absurd.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Isn’t it weird how some of his biggest loyalists have always claimed the “what’s being built” here.

7+ years and one or two injuries and we’re a horrible football team.

Is Lee and Tyron good? Most definitely. Should losing them make us as inept as it does? Fuck no.

For that to happen means we have zero depth. So what again was “being built” all this time?
It also means that our coaching staff is at a decided disadvantage when they can't out talent the opponent.

Look at what continually happened when Romo went down. We can't win a game with Weeden and Cassell, but Weeden almost immediately won a game when he got to Houston. 1-11 without Romo? It's an indictment of coaching.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
We're 8 games into McVay's career. Let's not declare him a top tier coach just yet.
I guess you're right. He needs at least 6.5 more years before we can start to tell.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It also means that our coaching staff is at a decided disadvantage when they can't out talent the opponent.

Look at what continually happened when Romo went down. We can't win a game with Weeden and Cassell, but Weeden almost immediately won a game when he got to Houston. 1-11 without Romo? It's an indictment of coaching.
Garrett all but admitted he didn't prepare. Some thing along the lines of when you are used to Tyron Smith, giving the tackle some help doesn't cross your mind. Now I don't know if he is that arrogant or ignorant.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Garrett all but admitted he didn't prepare. Some thing along the lines of when you are used to Tyron Smith, giving the tackle some help doesn't cross your mind. Now I don't know if he is that arrogant or ignorant.
I hadn't heard that....

That's a "wow" statement right there.

Remember the days when Parcells was here and we prepared for every contingency? Good times.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I hadn't heard that....

That's a "wow" statement right there.

Remember the days when Parcells was here and we prepared for every contingency? Good times.
Yup.

One example is from Parcells' first win as our HC vs the Giants.

After the Giants kicked the ball out of bounds to give us the ball at the 40, we had time to run one play to try and get in FG range.

So what did we do? We ran the play they practiced all summer for that exact scenario -- a 25 yard deep out that setup Cundiff for the 52 yard FG.

Preparation from a HC..... What a concept.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Education and appearance, no.

Demeanor, yes. And if you think his professional approach is "meaningless" when it comes to coaching football, that is absurd.
LOL... "Professional approach." What does that even mean? Like suits on planes? Nice diction in press conferences?

You've bought in to the media narrative, my man.

Every football coach is basically trying to accomplish the same thing. Some are just better at it than others.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The same coach that won 11 and 13 games here. That's quite similar to the ones Garrett had.
And went to the same amount of playoff games, won the same amount of playoff games, and the exact amount of division titles as well.

But somehow, Garrett is clearly the better coach.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And went to the same amount of playoff games, won the same amount of playoff games, and the exact amount of division titles as well.

But somehow, Garrett is clearly the better coach.
And didnt coach as long.

Top Bottom