Thursday Night Chatter Thread - Week 6 | Giants v. Bears | 10/10/2013

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Calls like pass interference and holding are nothing but subjective. Hence the old adage of "you could call holding on every play."
Well, having officiated basketball, baseball, and football before (albeit at non collegiate or professional levels), I don't agree that bitching at football refs makes as much of a difference as it does in other sports.

D

Deuce

Well, having officiated basketball, baseball, and football before (albeit at non collegiate or professional levels), I don't agree that bitching at football refs makes as much of a difference as it does in other sports.
Well, sounds like you were a shitty ref that got bitched at a lot and you hold a grudge. I too did some reffing and while I didn't want to hear what coaches had to say most of the time, it does make you more aware.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, sounds like you were a shitty ref that got bitched at a lot and you hold a grudge. I too did some reffing and while I didn't want to hear what coaches had to say most of the time, it does make you more aware.
Absolutely it makes you more aware. It also could mean the difference between calling a borderline call one way or the other.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Garrett is an average coach but I will defend him to the death over every little comment.

Garrett looks like he's putting on a little weight. Maybe should cut back on the sweets.

Parcells ate caramel corn!!!!!!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett is an average coach but I will defend him to the death over every little comment.

Garrett looks like he's putting on a little weight. Maybe should cut back on the sweets.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life

You are too biased on this subject to realize you are mocking your own idiotic criticisms.

Yeah.... you guys bitch at every little thing, it's completely out of touch with reality. That's why we keep having these moronic arguments.

You guys think every little thing is a referendum on his effectiveness as a coach, when in reality, coaches have many levels of success with things that are within the purview of "coaching style." Look at Tony Dungy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are too biased on this subject to realize you are mocking your own idiotic criticisms.

Yeah.... you guys bitch at every little thing, it's completely out of touch with reality. That's why we keep having these moronic arguments.

You guys think every little thing is a referendum on his effectiveness as a coach, when in reality, coaches have many levels of success with things that are within the purview of "coaching style." Look at Tony Dungy.
It is actually kind of an interesting argument. Is it effective to argue with refs? Or to yell at them? Or to get in their ear? Part of me says that maybe you end up just pissing the ref off and you get no calls the rest of the way. Of course if done tactfully maybe the ref realizes his mistake and gives you a makeup call. There is no question that NFL games are rarely officiated equally and fairly and it certainly seems like certain teams get the benefit of the doubt more often then other teams. The Steelers are a team that comes to mind that seems to always get calls in their favor. This year I think the Bronco's are kind of being treated as the darling by all officials.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It is actually kind of an interesting argument. Is it effective to argue with refs? Or to yell at them? Or to get in their ear? Part of me says that maybe you end up just pissing the ref off and you get no calls the rest of the way. Of course if done tactfully maybe the ref realizes his mistake and gives you a makeup call. There is no question that NFL games are rarely officiated equally and fairly and it certainly seems like certain teams get the benefit of the doubt more often then other teams. The Steelers are a team that comes to mind that seems to always get calls in their favor. This year I think the Bronco's are kind of being treated as the darling by all officials.
Eh, I imagine it all evens out. Some refs tune it out altogether, those that listen probably split 50/50 on whether it makes them more or less likely to make a call in favor of the whiner. In the Super Bowl where it seemed all the calls went in favor of the Steelers, it was Mike Holmgren on the other sideline, and it wasn't like he was just standing there letting it happen. Garrett certainly talks to them, but I don't know that there are any coaches that consistently obtain an advantage with the refs through their sideline tirades.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I should split this thread up into a new one.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would pay good money to watch Schmitty ref a sport of any kind.

I would just love to see a coach/player argue with him about how he was inbounds or something only to see Schmitty reply with "Well, that's simply not true".

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Actually that's not true, considering I am not arguing what these guys are arguing and never have. I don't feel that I nitpick Garrett and I definitely give him credit when I feel it is warranted - I've credited him several times.

So no, I am not biased on the subject. Just want to win.

I'd love to be wrong on Garrett.

And it is precisely the nitpicks that someone who thinks he is average would be least likely to defend him over.

Though I express no opinion over whether him arguing with refs often enough is actually a nitpick.

It's just every little thing said about him, you can't just let go. That tells me a lot about how you truly think about him, despite what you say.

Notice how I didn't jump in and say, "Yeah! He needs to argue with refs more!"

So who is biased here, again? This is exactly what I was pointing out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would pay good money to watch Schmitty ref a sport of any kind.

I would just love to see a coach/player argue with him about how he was inbounds or something only to see Schmitty reply with "Well, that's simply not true".

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I hit the over on this game by half a point. Nice.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That was a low number...expected way more points. Good bet.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Actually that's not true, considering I am not arguing what these guys are arguing and never have. I don't feel that I nitpick Garrett and I definitely give him credit when I feel it is warranted - I've credited him several times.
And I don't feel I'm a Garrett apologist and I criticize him when I feel it is warranted, in fact I've criticized about several things, including saying he had to shorten up his passing routes last season (that was clearly wrong), saying he needed better time management, etc.

It's just every little thing said about him, you can't just let go. That tells me a lot about how you truly think about him, despite what you say.
Well that's because every little issue becomes another way to say how much he sucks, it's people projecting their biases and looking for ways that he must be deficient. Nine times out of ten you jump in with what everyone else is saying, just like nine times out of ten I disagree with the criticism.

So who is biased here, again? This is exactly what I was pointing out.
It's definitely you as much as it is me. You're not fooling anyone with the "I give Garrett credit when he deserves" -- please, if your bias isn't proven by that line sounding exactly like me when I say I criticize Garrett, then nothing will.

Top Bottom