Thursday Night Chatter Thread - Week 1 | Patriots v. Steelers | /09/10/2015

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've been listening to Patriots fans excuses here at work and on the radio this morning regarding the Steelers headsets and they are largely missing the point.

Their take is since the Steelers' headsets weren't working the NFL shut down the Patriots' headsets as well, so in their mind there was no advantage gained.

Here's my stance. Assuming the Patriots due on occasion intentionally interfere with opponents communication equipment. If the Patriots had planned to do something like this, they'd have all week long to master how they're going to communicate and execute the game plan sans audio equipment.

Whereas on the other side of the coin, I'm sure opponents such as the Steelers have some contingencies in place, but I doubt they'd spend an excessive amount of time on it because it's assumed that your audio will for at least 95% of the game. So I could see how the Patriots could walk away with an edge there.

Personally, I think it was a coincidence. I doubt even the Patriots would be cocky enough to pull something like this barely a week removed from DeflateGate.

I just think it's silly for Patriots fans to immediately dismiss the issue as if the Pats would have nothing to gain by doing something like that.

dallen

Senior Tech
Headset interference happens all the time. This is only a story due to outside circumstances. Although it is ridiculous a billion dollar entity can't figure out how to get its headsets to work

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Headset interference happens all the time. This is only a story due to outside circumstances. Although it is ridiculous a billion dollar entity can't figure out how to get its headsets to work
I don't know, the Steelers coach certainly pointed his finger at the Patriots with his comments. Basically saying shit like this always happens when you play the Patriots in their stadium. I can't imagine the Patriots would have the audacity to cheat that quickly after deflate gate but I'm not so sure. They have been such arrogant pricks through out the entire process, it's like they just think they are smarter then everyone else. Suddenly I'm not so sure they wouldn't think they could get away with more cheating.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't know, the Steelers coach certainly pointed his finger at the Patriots with his comments. Basically saying shit like this always happens when you play the Patriots in their stadium. I can't imagine the Patriots would have the audacity to cheat that quickly after deflate gate but I'm not so sure. They have been such arrogant pricks through out the entire process, it's like they just think they are smarter then everyone else. Suddenly I'm not so sure they wouldn't think they could get away with more cheating.
This is from 3 years ago. If it is cheating it is widespread: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/2573/robert-griffin-iii-helmet

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yeah it happens all the time but usually only for a short period of time. They're down for a handful of plays then the issues is usually resolved in under 15 minutes.

From what I've heard the Steelers headsets weren't working for a majority of the game. Which is why Tomlin was so pissed.

1bigfan13

Staff member
This is from 3 years ago. If it is cheating it is widespread: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/2573/robert-griffin-iii-helmet
With everyone having a cellphone these days, I wonder if that is playing a role in teams losing commo.

Like when you're at a stadium/concert where tens of thousands of people are crammed into a relatively small area and it's damn near impossible to get a cellphone signal because of all the traffic pinging the same tower.

Or are teams not using standard communication towers?

I would imagine that NFL teams should have their own private network specifically for in-game communications.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom