Thursday Night Chatter Thread - Week 1 | Patriots v. Steelers | /09/10/2015

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Regardless, Edelman has to be game planned for, and in my mind should be feared. Which is what started this conversation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Antonio Brown (considered by many to be top 5 in the league) only hits at 13 per catch. Damn close to pathetic.
When the entire range tops out at about 17-18 as approaching all timer numbers, 3 yards per catch is a huge difference.

13 ypc is acceptable. Any less than that and you are in sub-Anquan Boldin possession receiver territory.

If Edelman is averaging 10 per catch, that is not a stat that supports a claim that he is any good. If you think Edelman is worth a damn, it's clearly for another reason.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And, 10 is sub elite TE range. Not standard TE range. So, let's not get silly.
No, I don't think so. Elite TE range would be 12-13 I'd say. Witten has always been on the low end at 11.

10 is on the low end for starting TE's, I'd wager.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Steelers might want to start bracketing Gronk in the red zone. Just a suggestion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I don't think so. Elite TE range would be 12-13 I'd say. Witten has always been on the low end at 11.

10 is on the low end for starting TE's, I'd wager.
Edelman is a product of Brady and the offense. Which is fine but he isn't a talent anyone in the NFL fears.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Edelman is kinda made by Brady. If he has a main positive it's that he knows how to be reliable for Brady, and I think that would probably translate to any good QB who has a tendency to make his receivers (like Peyton Manning).

But if he was here, I don't think I'd have him on the field before Terrance Williams. In our scheme he'd be no more valuable than Cole Beasley. Conversely, if Cole Beasley was in New England he'd catch 70 a year. He'd be "dangerous" by volume and consistency, but not really because he's a big play threat.

Cotton

Staff member
Andre Johnson averaged 11 last year. F'ing pathetic.

Cole Beasley... obviously a pathetic year he had.

The difference between top 5 WR in the league and "pathetic" is 3 yards a catch.

Percy Harvin approaching pathetic territory with 12 yards per.

Good lord.

Cotton

Staff member
Edelman is a product of Brady and the offense. Which is fine but he isn't a talent anyone in the NFL fears.
:lol

I would be curious how DCs around the league would respond to this.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
No way do I send Josh Scobee's sorry ass out there for another FG attempt. Go for eeet!!

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not saying Edelman is some elite WR. But, he damn sure has to be gameplanned for, and is not "pathetic", and to even suggest he is, is moronic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Andre Johnson averaged 11 last year. F'ing pathetic.

Cole Beasley... obviously a pathetic year he had.

The difference between top 5 WR in the league and "pathetic" is 3 yards a catch.

Percy Harvin approaching pathetic territory with 12 yards per.

Good lord.
And yet none of them averaged 10. So, if you have one of the worst statistics of NFL WRs, how would you define that in any other way then pathetic.

You keep naming guys and numbers and all of them were still better. Doesn't that tell you something? Maybe you should claim hyperbole, or just use those 3 PBRs as your excuse.

Cotton

Staff member
And yet none of them averaged 10. So, if you have one of the worst statistics of NFL WRs, how would you define that in any other way then pathetic.

You keep naming guys and numbers and all of them were still better. Doesn't that tell you something? Maybe you should claim hyperbole, or just use those 3 PBRs as your excuse.
I named receivers (some elite) with numbers pretty comparable, and compared them to this "pathetic" receiver. Edelman is not pathetic. Again, to suggest he is, is stupid.

11 and 10 are pretty comparable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not saying Edelman is some elite WR. But, he damn sure has to be gameplanned for, and is not "pathetic", and to even suggest he is, is moronic.
No one said Edelman is a pathetic WR. Are you drunk or something? The only thing that was said was that 10 ypc is pathetic for a WR. Which it is, because it is near the league worst for WRs. It's like a RB who averages 3.2 ypc.

Cotton

Staff member
Andre Johnson was a fucking pathetic WR last year.

Oh, and he had right at 1000 yards, FYI.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
No one said Edelman is a pathetic WR. Are you drunk or something? The only thing that was said was that 10 ypc is pathetic for a WR. Which it is, because it is near the league worst for WRs. It's like a RB who averages 3.2 ypc.
You are the one that tried to use the stat 10 yards per to debate that Edelman isn't a stud on this offense, and in turn called his stats pathetic.

I laid out many other WRs that are close to if not a little better that have the same stats that are not even close to being called pathetic.

Done with the debate. Edelman is a stud that has to be reckoned with by DCs across the league. Simple as that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I named receivers (some elite) with numbers pretty comparable, and compared them to this "pathetic" receiver.
Do you not know what this word means? By your logic 9 ypc is comparable. You know how many WRs averaged 9 ypc or less last year? Like 2 WRs. Total... (Of guys who had more then just a few catches)

Top Bottom