The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Being in favor of not overpaying DM and letting him walk is different from being in favor of letting him walk and replacing him with a reclamation project like McFadden along with a stable of backups from last year. Seeing the slew of young RB's the last few years coming into the league in early to mid rounds and starting/contributing immediately, it was a no-brainer to not overpay and go with a quality young back.

I never thought McFadden and/or signing a guy who gets cut in the summer was our main plan. This is from the day we signed Dmc. http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?4475-Cowboys-sign-RB-Darren-McFadden&p=187877&viewfull=1#post187877

But as it's turned out we are taking a major gamble that any back can be successful behind this line. We'll now see if that holds true.
It is a huge gamble. It could work out I suppose but I can't get comfortable with the logic that seems apparent. I could see this coming as soon as McFadden was signed and I just couldn't believe it was happening. I hope it turns out that it all a big wolf cry.

townsend

Banned
This is absolutely huge.

Carries per game is what got Romo to that perfect comfort zone where he could just destroy teams.

We were just under 32 per game, and the worst in the league was just 21 carries.

So dropping a mere 5 per game makes us middle of the pack and places the lion's share of burden at Romo's feet.

All it takes is "The Committee" not producing to start the jump balls to Dez and the forced shots to Witten.

It's coming. We saw a hint of it vs. Green Bay even when DeMarco had 126 yards. Get ready.
This seems like a logical fallacy.

A) Garrett was the playcaller, not Linehan

B) Murray WAS productive against the Packers. So how does the loss of Murray or Murray's productivity have anything to do with giving up on the run. Garrett didn't quit running because the running game failed. He quit running because he was Garrett. Behind in blowouts, ahead in blowouts, tied, early in the game, overtime, Garrett always abandoned the run.

C) Committment to the run means running even when it's not necessarily yielding big gains. We did that this year. Unlike any other year, with Linehan and Martin being the only variables from previous pass-happy seasons (both of which are still here.)

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Whats the over/under on Ajayi outrushing any of the schlubs we trot out at RB in 2015?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It is a huge gamble. It could work out I suppose but I can't get comfortable with the logic that seems apparent. I could see this coming as soon as McFadden was signed and I just couldn't believe it was happening. I hope it turns out that it all a big wolf cry.
I honestly didn't think they were going to sign McFadden and call it good. I guess I overestimated us once again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Stephen has mentioned the Pats bringing Blount in late last season and then winning it all several times. I'm fairly sure that if our run game looks like shit in the early part of the year (perhaps in the early part of preseason), we will make a move, whether a trade or signing someone like Chris Johnson.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Wasn't it the Pats we used as an example for the 2 TE set?

I know teams always try to emulate the winners in the league. But the Pats get away with doing unorthodox things mainly due to Brady and Belichick. Romo is no Brady. Brady carries that team. We showed last year we could be a very good team with Romo and a great OL and a good RB. Thinking Romo is our Brady and combined with our OL we can get by with scrub RB's is likely going to be a huge mistake.

townsend

Banned
Wasn't it the Pats we used as an example for the 2 TE set?

I know teams always try to emulate the winners in the league. But the Pats get away with doing unorthodox things mainly due to Brady and Belichick. Romo is no Brady. Brady carries that team. We showed last year we could be a very good team with Romo and a great OL and a good RB. Thinking Romo is our Brady and combined with our OL we can get by with scrub RB's is likely going to be a huge mistake.
I don't think Romo has to be Brady. Joe Flacco isn't Brady, Eli Manning isn't Brady s(in fact he won his 1st SB after the departure of a great RB), Ben Roethlisberger isn't Brady, this team might have championship potential because it was a team with championship potential that's upgraded at 4 positions and downgraded at one.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wonder what our record is for most pages in a non Gameday chatter thread.

My guess is that this thread is going to exceed that.

:lol

data

Forbes #1
Even in the most optimum conditions, I doubt even homers predicted that murray would break emmitt's single season rushing record.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

B) Murray WAS productive against the Packers. So how does the loss of Murray or Murray's productivity have anything to do with giving up on the run. Garrett didn't quit running because the running game failed. He quit running because he was Garrett. Behind in blowouts, ahead in blowouts, tied, early in the game, overtime, Garrett always abandoned the run.

C) Committment to the run means running even when it's not necessarily yielding big gains. We did that this year. Unlike any other year, with Linehan and Martin being the only variables from previous pass-happy seasons (both of which are still here.)
Very well said.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly didn't think they were going to sign McFadden and call it good. I guess I overestimated us once again.
If we went wrong anywhere this offseason it was picking McFadden as the veteran RB to sign. I have no problem skipping the position in the draft. I think we have a couple young skilled RBs from last years roster whose natural progression this year is more carries. I just wish we would have signed a safer bet for a veteran back. The upside is still high with McFadden but there is a lot I don't like about him in our scheme.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Playoffs vs GB, not the debacle in 2013. And I said "We saw a hint of it vs. Green Bay even when DeMarco had 126 yards"

Dallas on critical 3rd and 1 and 4th and 2 plays called a shotgun pass and a near-endzone heave. Murray's fumble shaking confidence may have something to do with the second, but the first was bewildering.

Murray was productive. The run was productive. They even called more runs than passes because of the weather and defensive matchup. But in key situations they got cute and bailed on it.

If they did that with Murray, imagine what they'll do with McFadden or Randle.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Interesting...the more bodies the better.

D

Deuce

He's proven in this blocking scheme, so I'd be happy to see if he does have anything left in the tank.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Feh. Need reps for the bodies we do have.

Tate is washed up anyway.
He seems like a good fit though, the one cut and go...not sure what Clev was doing with him.

I'd even take a look at Steven Jackson.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He seems like a good fit though, the one cut and go...not sure what Clev was doing with him.
Worth a look for that reason. I'm not sure if he is really any good but no harm in working him out.

I'd even take a look at Steven Jackson.
Eddie George. Jackson is done. I just don't think he has anything to offer that they can't get from someone younger.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What happened to Tate? He was pretty good in Houston. Did he have a bunch of injuries or something? I didn't pay attention to him at all last year.

Top Bottom