The Outrage Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Deadspin gonna Deadspin.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Don't know why they don't just use life insurance like companies normally do.

I guess they have determined the premiums for 535 odd ancient-assed congressmen every month/year would greatly exceed just paying the 174K-- which is a really cheap-assed death benefit, btw

Most big companies offer at least 2x salary, and with a small premium up to 5x salary.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I guess they have determined the premiums for 535 odd ancient-assed congressmen every month/year would greatly exceed just paying the 174K-- which is a really cheap-assed death benefit, btw

Most big companies offer at least 2x salary, and with a small premium up to 5x salary.
If they all didn't come to Congress and become multi-millionaires thru insider trading and lobbyist kickbacks I might not have as big a problem with it

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Because they also get life insurance...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Exactly. Why settle for regular life insurance like an ordinary peasant when you can steal 174k more?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They can participate in federal group life insurance (a federal group term program called FEGLI), and they have to pay premiums.

The 174K is a 1x salary death benefit— base level pay similar to many US emp benefits out there. Most US corporations pay 2x or more automatically— before any additional life insurance is purchased.

Basically this shit is normal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can participate in federal group life insurance (a federal group term program called FEGLI), and they have to pay premiums.

The 174K is a 1x salary death benefit— base level pay similar to many US emp benefits out there. Most US corporations pay 2x or more automatically— before any additional life insurance is purchased.

Basically this shit is normal.
FEGLI is what Federal Employees get. So no it's not normal. If it was normal all Federal employees would get 174k extra when they die on the job. They don't. So what you're talking about is not normal. It's above and beyond what the normal folks get. Which is sort of the point of all this. And frankly Federal employees get better benefits than most.

Now 174,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to most government spending so I get that it's not a "big deal" but it's also the problem. They aren't spending their money. They are spending our money and they have no sense in the fact that their spending has real life consequences on the public. It's why we are in the crazy inflation crisis that we currently find ourselves in.

It's like if I want to give money to a charity. That's great but what if instead of my money I got to give your money to charity. Well it would make it a whole lot easier to donate.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You're an insurrectionist grandma killer if you don't swallow the tracking pill

Top Bottom