The Mazi Smith Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes but geez you would think you would see a little something by now. All we are seeing is low snap counts.
A little splash here and there.

Even fuckin’ Taco had a few moments when he fed Jaylon his fake imaginary taco.

This dude does not even have that level of panache.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My concern is if they go into next season counting on him improving instead of bringing in another DT to at least compete.

I'm otherwise reserving final judgment on him until next season.
I assume resigning Hankins is a guarantee, there's no chance they're going to simply pencil in Mazi as a starter next year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I assume resigning Hankins is a guarantee, there's no chance they're going to simply pencil in Mazi as a starter next year.
It depends on Hankins. He almost didnt sign this past offseason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just re-watched ESPN's draft analysis of the pick. Some idiot said he had an "excellent first step." :doh
So...having him drop weight is going to help him with that? Either you have it or you don’t.

data

Forbes #1
Woah. A callout of this magnitude, this should be titled Ode to Mazi Smith

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan Davis had a similar rookie season but the weight loss stuff is what really concerns me.
I have to think the Cowboys are trying to rebuild his body a bit. Drop weight and then add more good weight. That's not a quick process but man the guy was strong as an ox and I thought he carried the weight well already. I don't really get the weight loss. It's like they are trying to make him into something besides a great NT. I just don't really understand the process but I'll give it a year. I don't think he is a guy that struggles to get big so my guess is the weight can be put back on fairly easy.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
He's looked like shit thus far. Regardless of how much he improves, I wouldn't hesitate to look for his replacement in April.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I will tell ya’ll this, my phone always tries to auto correct his name to Maxi. As in Maxi Pad, get it?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The early returns aren't promising, but there are a couple things you have to remember.

1) He's a run stopping DT. You will never be noticing him as a playmaker. That's not who he is and who he was drafted to be. Sacks and TFLs will never be a hallmark for this player, and don't have to be for him to be successful.

2) He's a rookie at a position that demands man-strength maybe more than any other. Give him a year or two in a weight room and let's see.

It may be too late to ever say "this guy is going to be a steal like Vince Wilfork and is gonna be a multi time pro bowler," but becoming a quality starter I don't think it's too late for that.

We will see.

Top Bottom