The Gun Thread

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
Has anyone shot either the FN or the Ruger Five Seven? I’m thinking about buying one because I don’t own anything chambered with that round, and I’d like to add one to my collection.
Fire breathing dragon of a pistol (FN). Loved shooting it, but the ammunition has become absolutely retarded pricewise. If it were me, I would likely just buy the Ruger. Much less money. Neither is a good choice unless you have fairly large hands though. Rifle rounds stuffed into pistol grips means big hands.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
Now more than ever is the perfect time to get into reloading. I really need to do it myself so I can get more training in.
Only if you had been buying projectiles and powder and primers before now. You will be very unhappy trying to even find them right now. Powder valley gets a shipment or two each week, but you basically have to be there at the right time to get anything. It's gone before you can blink.
Honestly, though, reloading is fun, and it used to help save money, but that isn't the case anymore and hasn't been for a while at least for me. I reload, but I do it to get better, more accurate ammunition. I gave my progressive press to my neighbor, and I just use a single stage now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Has anyone shot either the FN or the Ruger Five Seven? I’m thinking about buying one because I don’t own anything chambered with that round, and I’d like to add one to my collection.
I don't own an FN five seven, but my brother has two. A very nice shooting gun. Way more accurate out to longer distances than other pistols. But the ammo is ridiculously high. Especially now. (if you can even find it) It certainly not something you want to use as a plinking gun pumping a shit load of ammo thru unless you have deep pockets.

I've never shot the Ruger.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I don't own an FN five seven, but my brother has two. A very nice shooting gun. Way more accurate out to longer distances than other pistols. But the ammo is ridiculously high. Especially now. (if you can even find it) It certainly not something you want to use as a plinking gun pumping a shit load of ammo thru unless you have deep pockets.

I've never shot the Ruger.
I can get the ammo. It’s expensive, but not 4x the price like 9mm is right now. Oddly enough, I was able to find the ammo in Los Angeles, but not in Dallas. Go figure. And it seems like a really nice weapon to add to my collection. I’ve already got 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W and .45, so the 5.7x28mm seems like a nice change of pace.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Fire breathing dragon of a pistol (FN). Loved shooting it, but the ammunition has become absolutely retarded pricewise. If it were me, I would likely just buy the Ruger. Much less money. Neither is a good choice unless you have fairly large hands though. Rifle rounds stuffed into pistol grips means big hands.
I’m not worried about the hand size thing. I have large hands. I’ve just been contemplating buying one for a while but never knew anyone who’s shot one.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Only if you had been buying projectiles and powder and primers before now. You will be very unhappy trying to even find them right now. Powder valley gets a shipment or two each week, but you basically have to be there at the right time to get anything. It's gone before you can blink.
Honestly, though, reloading is fun, and it used to help save money, but that isn't the case anymore and hasn't been for a while at least for me. I reload, but I do it to get better, more accurate ammunition. I gave my progressive press to my neighbor, and I just use a single stage now.
No shit. Primers are insanely overpriced right now. @Iamtdg, a box of 100 large pistol primers (if you can find them, since they’re normally sold in 1,000 increments) would normally cost around $6, but they’re selling for $25 (maybe more) depending on who has them. Brass is running 2-3 times its normal price (around $35 per 100 rounds right now), and powder is running $70 for a pound of it (which gets you roughly 280 reloads), when that normally runs about $15-20. Add all that shit up, and you’re looking at $0.85 per reload BEFORE the price of the damn bullet! So, depending on the round, it may even be more expensive to reload them then to buy FMJs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No shit. Primers are insanely overpriced right now. @Iamtdg, a box of 100 large pistol primers (if you can find them, since they’re normally sold in 1,000 increments) would normally cost around $6, but they’re selling for $25 (maybe more) depending on who has them. Brass is running 2-3 times its normal price (around $35 per 100 rounds right now), and powder is running $70 for a pound of it (which gets you roughly 280 reloads), when that normally runs about $15-20. Add all that shit up, and you’re looking at $0.85 per reload BEFORE the price of the damn bullet! So, depending on the round, it may even be more expensive to reload them then to buy FMJs.
That's insane.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
I can get the ammo. It’s expensive, but not 4x the price like 9mm is right now. Oddly enough, I was able to find the ammo in Los Angeles, but not in Dallas. Go figure. And it seems like a really nice weapon to add to my collection. I’ve already got 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W and .45, so the 5.7x28mm seems like a nice change of pace.
I think I have 5 or 6 boxes of the FN branded stuff at home, if you do buy the pistol let me know and I will check when I get off the rig.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think I have 5 or 6 boxes of the FN branded stuff at home, if you do buy the pistol let me know and I will check when I get off the rig.
I appreciate that. The other hard part will be finding a gun store with any inventory. I’d prefer not to buy it from gunbroker because the markups are terrible.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
I appreciate that. The other hard part will be finding a gun store with any inventory. I’d prefer not to buy it from gunbroker because the markups are terrible.
Definitely. I won't be using what I have though, so if you need it let me know. I bought it several years back for inventory, but not really doin any business these days, so it will be priced as it was "pre-dipshit fever".

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No shit. The prices for everything are through the roof. Guns are nearly doubled in price, and ammo and reloading materials are 4x. I just paid a lovely premium for primers and brass so I can reload some old Speer 4477 flying ashtray 45 rounds.
The price for everything is going through the roof, which is what happens when you print money and then on top of it just hand it out to people. The people who have things to sell just raise the prices.

It would be nice if most of the elected officials in this country actually understood economics.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The price for everything is going through the roof, which is what happens when you print money and then on top of it just hand it out to people. The people who have things to sell just raise the prices.

It would be nice if most of the elected officials in this country actually understood economics.
It also gets compounded when production lines slow down with increasing demand. It’s insane.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I am buying up 1000 lots of .223 at the moment. I've got stacks of clips loaded like nobody's business.

paranoid

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I am buying up 1000 lots of .223 at the moment. I've got stacks of clips loaded like nobody's business.

paranoid
How much you having to pay per 1000?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

paranoid
Magazines, sir.

Top Bottom