The Gun Control Debate Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If a bullet hits a hard surface couldn't it break up creating said fragments?
No. Now, what it hit might break up into fragments, but bullets don't just shatter.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Not according to Heller. Restrictions are allowed to be put on sales. You may not like it, but from my understanding, I think this would pass muster.
No, Heller was about DC trying to require citizens who purchased and registered pistols in DC to register and have them kept unloaded and disassembled or have a trigger lock, in their homes for the most part. Simply ridiculous on it's face if the weapon is intended for self defense. Part of DC's argument was that it was a federal district and not a state therefore it didn't keep a state militia and was exempt from the 2nd. Thankfully SCOTUS ruled differently. While there are still allowable restrictions, I doubt seriously keeping an adult (18 year old) is one that will stand.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I dunno. Seems like it could fit into an exception, or at least close enough that it could go 5-4 either way.
You know it's going to go 5-4 regardless the decision, that's the political make up of it right now. 4 conservatives, 4 radical leftists with the living constitution view, and 1 wishy washy.

2233boys

Not So New Member
No, Heller was about DC trying to require citizens who purchased and registered pistols in DC to register and have them kept unloaded and disassembled or have a trigger lock, in their homes for the most part. Simply ridiculous on it's face if the weapon is intended for self defense. Part of DC's argument was that it was a federal district and not a state therefore it didn't keep a state militia and was exempt from the 2nd. Thankfully SCOTUS ruled differently. While there are still allowable restrictions, I doubt seriously keeping an adult (18 year old) is one that will stand.
I know what it is what about, in the ruling, Scalia said their could restrictions placed on sales. You may think this is a ridiculous restriction and disagree, but there has been a precedent set with handguns laws and the most conservative gun ruling in the history of the country also allowed for restrictions on sales

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know what it is what about, in the ruling, Scalia said their could restrictions placed on sales. You may think this is a ridiculous restriction and disagree, but there has been a precedent set with handguns laws and the most conservative gun ruling in the history of the country also allowed for restrictions on sales
Obviously they wouldn't allow unlimited restrictions. So while you're allowed to put restrictions on sales it will be interesting to see where or how that line is drawn.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Obviously they wouldn't allow unlimited restrictions. So while you're allowed to put restrictions on sales it will be interesting to see where or how that line is drawn.
I don't think that was ever my position, just that there were allowed to be restrictions on sales.

Cotton

Staff member
This is the debate in a nut shell. Who gets to decide where that line is, and is that line on a slope? If the line is on a potential slippery slope, then the line shouldn't be drawn there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that was ever my position, just that there were allowed to be restrictions on sales.
Yeah didn't mean to imply that it was your argument. I guess I was just pointing out the obvious. They won't allow just blanket restrictions on the purchase of firearms. I'd have to go back and read the decision to see if they gave any indication on how or what they would do to determine if a restriction would be acceptable or not. Obviously any sort of blanket ban of adults I think is going to get pretty high scrutiny. Unlike Alcohol people have a constitutional right to a fire arm. I don't know that they will allow a blanket ban of purchases by adults who fall in a certain age group. Seems like that would cross a line. Taking constitutional rights away from an adult with no legitimate purpose.

Things like mental illness probably less of an issue.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
That is my view as well. You may be able to restrict type of weapons sold ( automatics, explosives etc) but restricting a legal adult from purchase of weapons he could ordinarily purchase is something I don't think they can do. We'll find out I guess.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well the definitions of what is an adult is a state issue. Keep that in mind. The US Constitution only defines the age 18 as important as it pertains to the right to vote; and that's from an amendment, not in the original Constitution.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Well the definitions of what is an adult is a state issue. Keep that in mind. The US Constitution only defines the age 18 as important as it pertains to the right to vote; and that's from an amendment, not in the original Constitution.
While this may be true, I don't think there's any state that differs with that in terms of adulthood. And in many states criminal culpability actual kicks in at 17. I don't think there's any state that doesn't consider 18 the age of adulthood. Especially since you can join the military and vote at that age without anyone's permission.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But could a state say you are 18 as an adult to vote (mandated by constitutional amendment), but 21 as an adult for gun rights to kick in?

I’m not saying one way or the other but it may be a legit discussion.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
But could a state say you are 18 as an adult to vote (mandated by constitutional amendment), but 21 as an adult for gun rights to kick in?

I’m not saying one way or the other but it may be a legit discussion.
The Dems have been throwing out that maybe 16 year olds should be aloowed to vote, so who knows.

Cotton

Staff member

These people are idiots. Look closely at the magazine. Hell, you don't even have to look that closely. :picard

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
But they are so much smarter than we are! :tippytoe They know how to solve gun violence an crime. Just look at how well they are doing in all the major cities they run. :budd

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have this all figured out -

1. Teachers start carrying
2. Black kid gets shot in school
3. Civil war breaks out
4. America - the end

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Wow it's almost like gun free zones make themselves a soft target and stuff :art

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom