The Game Rewind Thread

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If healthy our defense is going to be at least as good as those 49ers units, so enjoy it.
We need some toughness up front. Would be interesting to see if Bohanna or Odighizuwa make a leap in their respective third years.

I don't expect a lot from Mazi year one, but man wouldn't that be awesome if he came through as a rotation mainstay say midway through the year.

Up front play has to get tight. There was too much pressure on LVE and other LB's to make plays last year. Would be incredible if Clark or Overshown become players.

But the biggest things are Parsons' health and Williams' jump from rookie to second year pass rusher.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We need some toughness up front. Would be interesting to see if Bohanna or Odighizuwa make a leap in their respective third years.

I don't expect a lot from Mazi year one, but man wouldn't that be awesome if he came through as a rotation mainstay say midway through the year.

Up front play has to get tight. There was too much pressure on LVE and other LB's to make plays last year. Would be incredible if Clark or Overshown become players.

But the biggest things are Parsons' health and Williams' jump from rookie to second year pass rusher.
To me, this is make or break time for Bohanna. He's had two seasons to come along slowly. He flashes something this season, or cut bait (ala Gallimore).

I think Osa will shine with the fulltime presence of a big dude next to him, between Mazi and Hank.

Mazi was selected high enough that the expectation is near term/immediate contribution. I know DTs dont arrive in the NFL kicking ass and taking names , but I expect impact from him immediately in the run game. The freakish strength and ability to take on those double teams.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I know DTs dont arrive in the NFL kicking ass and taking names , but I expect impact from him immediately in the run game. The freakish strength and ability to take on those double teams.
I expect him to provide a Russell Maryland type of impact from a development perspective, even though the position is not quite the same.

Somewhere about half to three quarters in, Maryland started contributing in earnest and he had to break through a deep rotation.

Mazi lacks Maryland's pedigree, but he should make up for that development wise in that there is no real competition in front of him.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

While I generally agree, we shut down the big bad 49ers run game on the road last year in the playoffs, so I'm not overly concerned.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
While I generally agree, we shut down the big bad 49ers run game on the road last year in the playoffs, so I'm not overly concerned.
We had a heroic performance by the defense-- especially Parsons that enabled that. A lot like our overdependence on Leon Lett in 1996... not really sustainable. Sooner or later that one superstar is going to need to rest or may be hurt.

We have not been built to stop the run outside of leaning on Parsons' unreal speed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We had a heroic performance by the defense-- especially Parsons that enabled that. A lot like our overdependence on Leon Lett in 1996... not really sustainable. Sooner or later that one superstar is going to need to rest or may be hurt.

We have not been built to stop the run outside of leaning on Parsons' unreal speed.
It wasn't just him, an edge player isn't shutting down a running attack like that all on his own. Wilson was arguably our most important run defender and played out of his mind, Lawrence, LVE and Osa were excellent as well.

Parsons, as usual, was our best overall defensive player but it was far from a one man show.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It wasn't just him, an edge player isn't shutting down a running attack like that all on his own. Wilson was arguably our most important run defender and played out of his mind, Lawrence, LVE and Osa were excellent as well.

Parsons, as usual, was our best overall defensive player but it was far from a one man show.
True, though he was basically the whole pass rush, and vs the run his ability to cover so much ground enables lesser players to cover less area.

Props, though, esp to Wilson

p1_

DCC 4Life
True, though he was basically the whole pass rush, and vs the run his ability to cover so much ground enables lesser players to cover less area.

Props, though, esp to Wilson
FYI, Lawrence and Osa each had a sack. Parsons had none.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I will say this, don't watch this game if you want to get excited about the potential of Damone Clark.
It was surprising how quickly he came back.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think most of Clark's issues last year were mental in terms of run fits and spacing in zone coverage, if he is as much of a worker as they say he is then he should be much improved and ready to play a good number of snaps.

Most importantly I hope he's ready to fill in as the primary traditional LB if LVE misses time again.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think he takes another step this season. His body is that much better a year on from surgery . It was kinda miraculous that he played at all last year.

Yep and having a camp this year should help a lot too.

• Props

p1_

DCC 4Life
I expect him to provide a Russell Maryland type of impact from a development perspective, even though the position is not quite the same.

Somewhere about half to three quarters in, Maryland started contributing in earnest and he had to break through a deep rotation.

Mazi lacks Maryland's pedigree, but he should make up for that development wise in that there is no real competition in front of him.
didnt Jimmy take Maryland number one overall?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
didnt Jimmy take Maryland number one overall?
Yep, though that draft was very weak at the top.

Maryland had a better pedigree than Mazi, but despite being drafted 1st overall Russell Maryland was nowhere near Cortez Kennedy-caliber.

• Props
Top Bottom