The Dallas Cowboys Offense Is Broken. Is Mike McCarthy Capable of Fixing It?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Here is the thing though, very few of those mediocre QBs were basically thrust into a brand new system that they really don’t fit in either. Prescott is not and never will be an accurate anticipation thrower.
Yea Prescott is one problem but the unimaginative offense (so far) is an equal or greater problem. I'm still keeping an open mind as far as the offense but I think it's obvious that what McCarthy is running is stuck in the past compared to the 49ers, Dolphins and so forth

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
I think there have been very, very few head coaches throughout the history of the game, good enough to overcome the lack of an elite QB. Take a look at the list of Super Bowl winning QBs by year. Mostly legends and other HOF locks.
It's not a question of being a "SB winning QB." Prescott's never come close, and neither has Jerry, McCarthy (so far), Garrett, Romo, or any other of the cast of characters going back 27 years (soon to be 28). Hell, I think most Cowboy fans would be thrilled with an NFCC game, or even getting into a SB -- win or lose.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
There have been a bunch in the last 10-15 years alone who have won Super Bowls or very nearly done so with good but not great QB's, and some who were just average.

The Giants twice with Eli, Ravens with Flacco, Denver with Peyton who was a shell of himself at that point, the Eagles with Foles and the Rams with Stafford.

You might even be able to throw Seattle with Wilson in there since he was a pure bus driver when they went to back to back SB's.

Then you have multiple teams who were a hair away from winning it in the Falcons with Ryan and the 49ers with Garoppolo, could even throw the Newton Panthers in there.

Obviously having an elite QB is the easiest way to win a SB but there have been plenty of teams just in the last decade or so who have won it all without one.
Eli is a HOF lock, so is Stafford with his stats and a championship. Everyone forgets how good Stafford really is because he was buried for years in Detroit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Eli is a HOF lock, so is Stafford with his stats and a championship. Everyone forgets how good Stafford really is because he was buried for years in Detroit.

Stafford wasn't shit until he had a good team around him, which probably actually works against your point.

Eli might get into the HOF but let's not pretend he's HOF worthy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Stafford wasn't shit until he had a good team around him, which probably actually works against your point.

Eli might get into the HOF but let's not pretend he's HOF worthy.
He had many a Daniel Jones moment IMO. Just way ahead of Jones.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He is not.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
There have been a bunch in the last 10-15 years alone who have won Super Bowls or very nearly done so with good but not great QB's, and some who were just average.

The Giants twice with Eli, Ravens with Flacco, Denver with Peyton who was a shell of himself at that point, the Eagles with Foles and the Rams with Stafford.

You might even be able to throw Seattle with Wilson in there since he was a pure bus driver when they went to back to back SB's.

Then you have multiple teams who were a hair away from winning it in the Falcons with Ryan and the 49ers with Garoppolo, could even throw the Newton Panthers in there.

Obviously having an elite QB is the easiest way to win a SB but there have been plenty of teams just in the last decade or so who have won it all without one.
Every average/below average QB who won a Super Bowl won because of all-time great defenses who are still prominent and are still standards for today's defenses. Dilfer, Flacco, Russell Wilson, older version of Peyton Manning never get close to championship without those great defenses. Almost forgot Brad Johnson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Every average/below average QB who won a Super Bowl won because of all-time great defenses who are still prominent and are still standards for today's defenses. Dilfer, Flacco, Russell Wilson, older version of Peyton Manning never get close to championship without those great defenses. Almost forgot Brad Johnson.
And let’s be honest, our defense is not going to be an all-timer defense this year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea of course you need an elite defense if you don't have an elite QB. My point was there's a clear path to winning it all without an elite QB and it's happened many times in the last decade.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

The eagles had a good defense, but that was not an all time great defense. They also had an excellent running game that really went a long way to protecting their QB, as did most of those teams.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
LOL.

"Dak is great! It was just had bad luck that he lead the league in INTs last year in only 12 games! It's all McCarthy's fault because he's a bozo!"

Anything to deflect blame from Dak, I guess.

I couldn't even read all of it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So disappointing.

Perhaps the loss of Diggs exposed the limits of our S/LB hybrid model?
That could be part of it. I think we miscalculated the LB position, Overshown was supposed to be the tonic, but there is nobody else and I don’t think the safety thing is fooling anybody if the rush does not get home. That and we wasted our first couple of draft picks.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That could be part of it. I think we miscalculated the LB position, Overshown was supposed to be the tonic, but there is nobody else and I don’t think the safety thing is fooling anybody if the rush does not get home. That and we wasted our first couple of draft picks.
the LB corp is uber-thin.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I've been beating the drums for a massive strong DT ( as if they care what I think ). One to move and crush the pocket. And yes I know it's early. But I was expecting to see Mazi at least showing flashes of dominance. Hoping he turns a corner as the season progresses.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Yeah, Mazi has been everything negative his scouting reports said. And I think everyone knew Schoon was an overdrafted, overaged disaster when it happened.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, Mazi has been everything negative his scouting reports said. And I think everyone knew Schoon was an overdrafted, overaged disaster when it happened.
If either one were performing at a level above suck, we would be better off. But hey, it takes time and stuff. Meanwhile, there are DTs and TEs from this draft that are making an impact.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Aaron Rodgers has a pretty expressive face when it comes to showing his disgust. His last season with McCarthy, he was openly disdainful of the play calling and the offense.

Now you have three different analysts saying McCarthy's offense and play design are predictable and static, yet some are writing it off to the fact that, hey, it's only five games into the season.

The tape doesn't lie, and the score of the game doesn't lie.
Amazing how we go from coach to coach to coordinator to coordinator and it’s always that we are too predictable. The QB who has stayed the same never gets any blame.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Eli and Stafford were both way better than Dak and at least Peyton’s brain was elite even if his body was broken. Dak is declining physically and he’s a dunce to boot.

Top Bottom