The Beer Thread

junk

Not So New Member
Anyone ever had Bell's Hop Slam? I've had a grand total of one since it apparently sells out immediately if it ever is available. Pretty good though.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is solid too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Two hr layover in Phoenix... tried a Green Flash IPA...real hoppy...the pale ale by them was much better.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
A lot of people here seem to like IPAs, but personally I can't stand them.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Anyone tried Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale?

I bought a 6 pack this afternoon but haven't cracked it open yet.

It scored pretty well on the Beer Advocate website.

Have not tried the Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale. I am drinking a Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale right now though, and it is decent. I hate Blue Moon in general because I hate wheat beers, but I am liking the Pumpkin Ale. I imagine the Sam would be even better.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So I had this beer that they only sell in North Carolina.... Red Oak Amber Lager.... fucking amazing.

You NC people should pick up a case. Hard to find though. Its based out of the Greensboro area.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Great American Beer Fest in Denver last weekend was a lot of fun. Tried probably 50–60 beers (1 oz samples). Also had a bunch of excellent beer around Denver that I can't get in Texas. A great taproom near my sister's place in LoDo had a couple of Russian River beers–Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig. Both were outstanding, though the hype around Pliny the Elder ensured that it would be slightly underwhelming (it appears at or near the top of many beer nerds "best beer" lists and has for the past 4–5 years). Denver is a great town for beer.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Right now, I think the West Coast Green Flash IPA is about the best one I've had lately.
I recently had a bomber of Green Bullet, their Imperial Double IPA. Pretty good. Worth trying if you're a fan of the West Coast IPA.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

junk

Not So New Member
I recently had a bomber of Green Bullet, their Imperial Double IPA. Pretty good. Worth trying if you're a fan of the West Coast IPA.
I'll have to look for it.

I had a Stone Coconut IPA the other day. Didn't think I'd care for it, but it was pretty good.

Stone, in general, is pretty good

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'll have to look for it.

I had a Stone Coconut IPA the other day. Didn't think I'd care for it, but it was pretty good.

Stone, in general, is pretty good
I like pretty much everything I've had from Stone but I haven't had the Coconut IPA. Not sure I'd care for it either. Besides standards like their IPA and Ruination IPA I've had a few different Enjoy By IPA brews (one of them in particular was very, very good), as well as Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale (excellent) and the Supremely Self-Conscious Ale. They did a collaboration called Dayman Coffee IPA that I tried too and it was outstanding. They're a great brewery, IMO. For her beer blog my sister interviewed their CEO/Co-founder during GABF last weekend in Denver.

junk

Not So New Member
Had the West Coast Imperial. Pretty good, thanks for the recommendation.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Just started getting Ballast Point beers in my area and am having a Sculpin IPA. Thoughts in the middle of the first one is that it has just leapfrogged a shitload of other beers in my book. Better than most. It's really smooth and well-balanced for the style of beer that it is.

When I was in Denver for GABF I got to try a couple of Russian River beers that I've heard about but have never come across. Pliny the Elder was impressive, but has a reputation of being one of the best out there for several years now so it couldn't fully live up to expectations. Excellent beer but it isn't some sort of life-changing experience for god's sake. Their Blind Pig was nearly as good I think.

A friend came in from Chicago recently and he brought me a bottle of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes that style of beer. It's a really good one.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I like the Big Eye IPA by Ballast Point even better than Sculpin, give it a shot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Duvel Single Belgian Ale...nice little number...definitely a day beer.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not a big fan of Sam Adam's Octoberfest, but I had this year's version on tap the other night and it was splendid.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I like the Big Eye IPA by Ballast Point even better than Sculpin, give it a shot.
I've looked for Big Eye a few times recently. One place had about 5 different Ballast Point beers but not Big Eye.

Goose Island's highly coveted Bourbon County Stout was released in Austin today. The places that got some would only sell one individual 12 oz. bottle per person I scored a bottle at a couple different places. It's very, very good. Really thick and very boozey (15% ABV). It is to barrel-aged stouts what Black Sabbath is to heavy metal.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Anyone tried Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale?

I bought a 6 pack this afternoon but haven't cracked it open yet.

It scored pretty well on the Beer Advocate website.
I absolutely love it.

I thought I had posted about it in this thread but I guess not.

What did you think of it?

Top Bottom