Thanksgiving Gameday chatter thread | Redskins vs Cowboys | 11-24-2016

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he was just scared to death of letting them get another quick strike. He wanted the defense to force them to slowly move the ball down the field. We gave them a ton of easy FDs but didn't give up a big one after the hit to Jackson. Still it was hard to watch. But what's the difference? Don't get there with 3 don't get there with 4...the pass rush blows.
The quick strike was just blown coverage though. Byron Jones as the single high safety bit on the TE in front of him and Brown for some inexplicable reason thought Jackson was breaking off the route. It wasn't the defensive call that was the problem, just poor execution. It could happen any time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You just know that's the divisional round matchup. Either that or the Giants.
Yeah I think we coast into the #1 seed and the Redskins probably get the last wild card if they keep playing well. Which of course means if the Skins knock off a division winner like the Lions or Falcons we suddenly have to play the Skins for a third time.

I guess those are still a decent number of what ifs, but all seem pretty likely right now.

Yeah it really bothers me though that Darren McFadden is so important as a bench rider that we didn't trade him away when we should have and picked up a pass rusher. He offers us nothing right now. They knew we were hurting in that area and could have upgraded. I just know the defense is gonna bite them in the ass like in 2014. You can only get so far with a mediocre pass rush in the playoffs.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
You just know that's the divisional round matchup. Either that or the Giants.
I don't think the Skins get to the playoffs. They have a harder path then the Giants IMO.

data

Forbes #1
Random Thoughts:
Our redzone TD conversion percentage has got to be standout historically, not just this year. In addition to Zeke, Prescott's 5 rushing TDs as an additional element has us 10-1.

Dak doesn't even throw almost-INTs. Phenomenal. Paired with solid Chris Jones, has to be top tier for opponent starting field position and/or fewest times opponents started on our side of field. Yeah, Roethlisberger, Flacco and Cousins threw for 400+ yards, but partly due to them starting at their 20 yard line so often. No short fields.

Im confident our only time under 50% with Red zone TD conversion was vs NYG, thus our only loss. As such, I think Seattle poses our biggest threat.

Zeke only managed 50 yards rushing after the first drive. What did Wash do schematically and is this repeatable?

The NYG game on SNF is gonna set TV ratings records.

Damien Wilson hits like a stone wall.

I hate Josh Norman even more than Deangelo Hall.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah it really bothers me though that Darren McFadden is so important as a bench rider that we didn't trade him away when we should have and picked up a pass rusher. He offers us nothing right now. They knew we were hurting in that area and could have upgraded. I just know the defense is gonna bite them in the ass like in 2014. You can only get so far with a mediocre pass rush in the playoffs.
I don't think we'd get a legit pass rusher for McFadden.

That said, I don't see why we couldn't have gotten a draft pick for him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think the Skins get to the playoffs. They have a harder path then the Giants IMO.
Both could easily make it as wild cards, although I do think the Giants pretty much have one spot wrapped up while a few teams are right there with the Redskins for the last spot. The next two games for the Skins will determine their fate I think, if they lose @Arizona and @Philly, I don't think they make it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They do, but the giants probably get the 5th seed anyway. Skins are fighting Philly, Minnesota, and GB for the 6th seed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They do, but the giants probably get the 5th seed anyway. Skins are fighting Philly, Minnesota, and GB for the 6th seed.
There are a bunch of teams with 4 or 5 wins, if any of them get hot they could get in, including New Orleans, Arizona, Carolina and Tampa Bay, as well as those you mention.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both could easily make it as wild cards, although I do think the Giants pretty much have one spot wrapped up while a few teams are right there with the Redskins for the last spot. The next two games for the Skins will determine their fate I think, if they lose @Arizona and @Philly, I don't think they make it.
The Skins have a tough schedule down the road which is the only reason they might not make it. But honestly in recent weeks their offense has been so good they could beat any of those teams on their schedule. Of course lets see what happens with Jordan Reed now. I have no idea how he was able to come back and play so well.

The Giants on the other hand have a tough schedule outside of this cup cake game against the Browns but at 7-3 they have a pretty nice cushion for a wild card spot. The next closest team to them is still the Redskins even with the loss.

D

Deuce

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty crazy, I guess they can't bitch that the Cowboys aren't carrying their weight in terms of ratings this year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's nuts. And those 35 million people got to see Dallas go to 10-1. :towel

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm still in awe, the Slurs had their A+ game on and Dak and Co. still managed to win in a way that I sweat it out a little, but never thought "they're losing this one".
If you told them they would have no turnovers, Zeke under 100 yds. rushing and Dak under 200 passing they would have jumped on it, every stat in favor of the slurs except the score...
Just win baby...
Just win indeed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think he was just scared to death of letting them get another quick strike. He wanted the defense to force them to slowly move the ball down the field. We gave them a ton of easy FDs but didn't give up a big one after the hit to Jackson. Still it was hard to watch. But what's the difference? Don't get there with 3 don't get there with 4...the pass rush blows.
This.

Top Bottom