Thanksgiving Gameday chatter thread | Redskins vs Cowboys | 11-24-2016

Rock Slamdance

DCC 4Life
Reading ES, Redskins fans still hate Dallas and think they will get a 5 or 6 seed, win and then beat us in the divisional round if we are the #1 seed.

Looking at it, unless they implode, they probably will get the 5/6 seed. Hopefully if we do meet in the playoffs our defense will be healthy and playing better. We played a nearly flawless game on offense and still only won by 5 and it is tough beating a team 3 times in a season.
Ha yeah and most of them think Dak is overrated.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Reading ES, Redskins fans still hate Dallas and think they will get a 5 or 6 seed, win and then beat us in the divisional round if we are the #1 seed.

Looking at it, unless they implode, they probably will get the 5/6 seed. Hopefully if we do meet in the playoffs our defense will be healthy and playing better. We played a nearly flawless game on offense and still only won by 5 and it is tough beating a team 3 times in a season.
They are a team that we match up poorly against defensively. No pass rush against an explosive passing attack is deadly. Our biggest advantage - and why we won - was offensive efficiency and a superior FG kicker. They missed 2 FGs and lost by 5 points. Of course they make those kicks and is changes the complexion of the game.

Our defense really is a tremendous problem. Getting Church and Mo back will help but our pass rush is getting no help...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hmmm... Just heard Dallas has won 4 straight games without a takeaway. First team to do that since the 1938 Packers.

Cool stat, but we need to start taking the ball away.
Another scary stat about this game from Percy Howard at the Zone:
Today the Redskins had 500+ yards, 0 times sacked, and 0 turnovers. Since 1940, teams have done this in a game 34 times -- and 32 times, they won the game.

It's only the 2nd time a team has done that and lost.
Just incredible how this defense escapes with a W playing like they have.

I get the bend but don't break, but they just don't make plays.

You get the feeling we are on borrowed time. 10-1 is great and all, but it is going to catch up to us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They are a team that we match up poorly against defensively. No pass rush against an explosive passing attack is deadly. Our biggest advantage - and why we won - was offensive efficiency and a superior FG kicker. They missed 2 FGs and lost by 5 points. Of course they make those kicks and is changes the complexion of the game.

Our defense really is a tremendous problem. Getting Church and Mo back will help but our pass rush is getting no help...
It wasn't just Claiborne and Church but Wilcox missed most of the second half too, and Jones was gimpy.

On the Jackson touchdown it was Jones playing the single high safety, which is not something he's done much of at all this year, it's usually Wilcox.

I don't want to play them again in the playoffs honestly but it'll take alot for them to get there, assuming the Giants have the other wild card pretty much wrapped up. The Redskins still have to play @Arizona, @Philly, Carolina and the Giants at home. They could easily lose three of those games and end up 8-7-1, while the Vikings and Eagles are basically right behind them with more favorable schedules.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

You get the feeling we are on borrowed time. 10-1 is great and all, but it is going to catch up to us.
Our starting dime defense is Claiborne/Carr/Scandrick/Jones/Church/Wilcox, half of that group was out today for basically the entire second half while Jones was gimpy. The defense is obviously not good but they won't be this bad if even 2 of the 3 come back healthy.

It also must be noted that the Skins completely abandoned the run and in most cases were eating up soft zone coverage. What pissed me off more than anything, aside from the busted coverage on the Jackson TD, was the poor tackling in the secondary, notably from Carr and Scandrick.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
:lol

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

The lack of a pass rush was down right scary today.

Cousins had literally all day in the pocket in the 2nd half. Even a half decent pass rush today and I believe Dallas wins by 10-14 points.

Instead of enjoying a comfortable win, I had to keep drinking Malox to keep from barfing up my turkey during the game.

Theses fuckers keep talking about how they were the better team, and they stood toe to toe with us, blah blah.. what they fail to remember is that with divisional games and especially Dal/Wash the records get thrown out and that it doesn't matter what they are. Also our offense doesn't just blow everyone out they score as needed. The last three drives proved it. Need a score? Ok we will get you one. On demand..

data

Forbes #1
This team really does feel like our Haley-less 1991 squad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Theses fuckers keep talking about how they were the better team, and they stood toe to toe with us, blah blah.. what they fail to remember is that with divisional games and especially Dal/Wash the records get thrown out and that it doesn't matter what they are. Also our offense doesn't just blow everyone out they score as needed. The last three drives proved it. Need a score? Ok we will get you one. On demand..
We had a 2 score lead with 2 minutes to go in the game. Not exactly toe to toe. Hell if they had taken a lead with their last posession I have no doubt we would have marched down and scored to win. But we didn't have to because we had a two score lead.

I'd like a better defensive performance but let's not act like this was some lucky scrape by win.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

The 2014 defense had holes and were a bend but don't break unit themselves, but they forced turnovers all year which this unit does not do.

Also, our lack of pass rush is a problem, but I thought it was actually one of our best performances as far as getting pressure and getting penetration goes. The bigger issue was that despite showing signs of life, we never capitalized because Marinelli called so many damn 3 man rushes.

What the hell was he watching?

We weren't getting pressure and all of those guys in coverage didn't affect the Redskins one bit, so why the hell did he keep going with that when it clearly wasn't working?

We don't have much of a rush, but Marinelli isn't helping matters with his overwhelming amount of 3 man calls.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The 2014 defense had holes and were a bend but don't break unit themselves, but they forced turnovers all year which this unit does not do.

Also, our lack of pass rush is a problem, but I thought it was actually one of our best performances as far as getting pressure and getting penetration goes. The bigger issue was that despite showing signs of life, we never capitalized because Marinelli called so many damn 3 man rushes.

What the hell was he watching?

We weren't getting pressure and all of those guys in coverage didn't affect the Redskins one bit, so why the hell did he keep going with that when it clearly wasn't working?

We don't have much of a rush, but Marinelli isn't helping matters with his overwhelming amount of 3 man calls.
I think he was just scared to death of letting them get another quick strike. He wanted the defense to force them to slowly move the ball down the field. We gave them a ton of easy FDs but didn't give up a big one after the hit to Jackson. Still it was hard to watch. But what's the difference? Don't get there with 3 don't get there with 4...the pass rush blows.

data

Forbes #1
By the way, I saw Aretha Franklin's national anthem on replay. Yes, it was long, could've been shorter-to-be-better and not close to being a favorite, but I liked it. At ~75 years old, it might just be the last time we hear her perform. After the first minute, I was like 'omg, get this over with', but integral in setting the mood for the last 30 seconds, which I thought was quite good. It wasn't me-first or grandstanding, unlike other pop divas. With that soulful vibe, I don't know, it felt kind of homey and healing, unifying and intimate. Haven't heard the anthem done in that style and I'm glad I got to hear it, especially by a legend.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hmmm... Just heard Dallas has won 4 straight games without a takeaway. First team to do that since the 1938 Packers.

Cool stat, but we need to start taking the ball away.
Amazing considering everyone has been playing from behind and pressing and yet we still can't come up with a turnover. It's about 90% our lack of pass rush though. We need two more DEs bad.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I kinda agree. I still feel like everything is gonna turn back into a pumpkin.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Waking up to 10-1 like...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By the way, I saw Aretha Franklin's national anthem on replay. Yes, it was long, could've been shorter-to-be-better and not close to being a favorite, but I liked it. At ~75 years old, it might just be the last time we hear her perform. After the first minute, I was like 'omg, get this over with', but integral in setting the mood for the last 30 seconds, which I thought was quite good. It wasn't me-first or grandstanding, unlike other pop divas. With that soulful vibe, I don't know, it felt kind of homey and healing, unifying and intimate. Haven't heard the anthem done in that style and I'm glad I got to hear it, especially by a legend.
Not me. I thought it was ridiculously awful. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, mind you, so that didn't help. Set the sentimental BS aside, it was horrific.

Top Bottom