Terrence Williams Re-Signed

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think we signed him before we had any idea that we would be able to bring Williams back.
We did. But bringing Butler back only temporarily covers the back end of the depth chart, and with his contract he can easily be cut if a UDFA or whatever outperforms him. Bringing Williams back keeps us from having to force a pick to cover a starting spot. The two have nothing to do with each other.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We did. But bringing Butler back only temporarily covers the back end of the depth chart, and with his contract he can easily be cut if a UDFA or whatever outperforms him. Bringing Williams back keeps us from having to force a pick to cover a starting spot. The two have nothing to do with each other.
I think that's right. I feel the staff prefers to use the draft to shore up the defense and signing Williams as you said covers the need to look to the draft for a receiver. Butler is a depth move.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm not sold on Butler, and it would be nice to see Dallas pick up a speedster at wideout with good hands in the later rounds. He is just too damn inconsistent.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm not sold on Butler, and it would be nice to see Dallas pick up a speedster at wideout with good hands in the later rounds. He is just too damn inconsistent.
That's my hope, too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Butler reminds me of Alvin Harper. He could make some of the wildest circus catches then drop one that hit him in the chest. The both are athletic but inconsistent.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Butler doesn't remind me at all of Harper, who made clutch play after clutch play as a #2 WR.

Butler is not and will never amount to a starting caliber player.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Butler doesn't remind me at all of Harper, who made clutch play after clutch play as a #2 WR.

Butler is not and will never amount to a starting caliber player.
Harper was a weird WR. He'd make spectacular, game changing catches in big games like season openers, MNF, or the playoffs and all but vanish in between.

It was like normal games were beneath him.

He was fine for the early 90's Cowboys who were loaded at every position and won two Superbowls with him making big plays, but if anyone else had spent the 12th overall pick on him they'd have felt felt majorly ripped off.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Butler reminds me of Alvin Harper. He could make some of the wildest circus catches then drop one that hit him in the chest. The both are athletic but inconsistent.
Well he does me and I saw him in plenty of games. He is tall, athletic and could jump pretty high. He also could drop a pass right on the numbers. Butler has a lot of the same traits.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well he does me and I saw him in plenty of games. He is tall, athletic and could jump pretty high. He also could drop a pass right on the numbers. Butler has a lot of the same traits.
Yeah, he reminds me of Harper, as well. Those that are disagreeing are only remembering the clutch plays and not the terribly disappointing ones. Or the complete disappearance of him at times.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm guessing Harper avg. With the cowboys was around 45-650-5...
Butler 15-200-2...?

D

Deuce

That describes a lot of guys, but at least Harper had moments of brilliance that Butler only dreamed of.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wasn't comparing stats I was saying Butler reminds me of Harper. Same type build, same type of jumping ability and erratic at times. Harper was more than that by virtue of having a football career. Butler may or may not have a football career but he still reminds me of Harper.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't comparing stats I was saying Butler reminds me of Harper. Same type build, same type of jumping ability and erratic at times. Harper was more than that by virtue of having a football career. Butler may or may not have a football career but he still reminds me of Harper.
He was perfect for the role we used him but he wasn't a complete reciever. He was an elite deep threat and Aikman used him exactly as that. Butler has never and probably will never have the opportunity to fill that exact role here.

dallen

Senior Tech
I get what you are saying. He reminds me of Harper too

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Harper's avg stats looks a lot more like T Will's.
He's also the one that reminds me of Harper. Harper was a deep threat, but he didn't really have elite speed, kind of like T Will. Butler is supposed to have that 4.3 speed...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
45 catches is probably high. Dude had a season of on 33 catches but 800 yards. Epitome of deep threat.
In a completely different league.

Butler may be stylistically similar to Harper in some ways, and body type, but he is nowhere near the acrobatic catcher nor has he come up big in big moments like Harper has.

This is like saying Andy Jones reminds you of Terrell Owens. Yeah, there are some similarities, sure. Talent level is not one of them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He was perfect for the role we used him but he wasn't a complete reciever. He was an elite deep threat and Aikman used him exactly as that. Butler has never and probably will never have the opportunity to fill that exact role here.
He doesn't have the ability to fill that role.

Top Bottom