Syria

Carl

RIP Brother
How can there not be one thread about Syria. What should Obama do? I notice he is being isolated by the international community. This is not his fault. Every administration overseas got tired of the Bush admin lies about everything. Even today, Iraq is a death pool, what has changed since the intervention in that country?

The Vote in the British parliament had little to do with Obama and everything to do with GWB and Tony Blair.

By the way Rumsfeld is a complete cunt.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Obama isn't respected as a leader of this country, and he shouldn't be. So its not a surprise that the international community told him and the US to go fuck themselves.

That being said...we have too many other problems in our country, pressing issues, that should be addressed rather than spending billions of dollars bombing Syria and risking an all out war in the Middle East. If there were hundreds of thousands of people gassed, maybe we are looking at a different opinion giving the "facts" the US has. But right now, it looks like the world isn't convinced Syria did what its accused of doing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Obama isn't respected as a leader of this country, and he shouldn't be. So its not a surprise that the international community told him and the US to go fuck themselves.

That being said...we have too many other problems in our country, pressing issues, that should be addressed rather than spending billions of dollars bombing Syria and risking an all out war in the Middle East. If there were hundreds of thousands of people gassed, maybe we are looking at a different opinion giving the "facts" the US has. But right now, it looks like the world isn't convinced Syria did what its accused of doing.
Exactly.

Time to start focusing on taking care of home first.

Syria is a regional threat but the countries surrounding them, Israel, Saudi, Turkey, etc. have military power that matches or exceeds Syria's.

I'll also add that the world is probably tired of burning money and time trying to police the Middle East. Sometimes you just have to say F' it.

Last edited:

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
It's Iran's puppet Assad versus a rebel contingent that has become almost fully dominated by Muslim extremists including AQ and the Muslim Brotherhood. We should do exactly what we have done up to now -- condemn the loss of life and various horrors, but continue to stand by and do nothing as our enemies proceed to murder one another.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm against it because doing so will probably mire the U.S. in another decade long conflict and for what?

10 years in Iraq and 12 in Afghanistan and both country's are still unstable and are havens for terrorists.

I'm with bluestar, let the savages kill each other.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Exactly.

Time to start focusing on taking care of home first.

Syria is a regional threat but the countries surrounding them, Israel, Saudi, Turkey, etc. have military power that matches or exceeds Syria's.

I'll also add that the world is probably tired of burning money and time trying to police the Middle East. Sometimes you just have to say F' it.
Totally agree.

That region has been in conflict since the beginning of time, and it always will be.

It is embedded in their culture to be volatile and destructive. That is never going to change no matter how badly the world powers want it to.

It's time to just let it go.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, count me in the crowd that doesn't believe we should go into Syria.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only thing about Syria that I give a real shit about is how it effects gas prices.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
The only thing about Syria that I give a real shit about is how it effects gas prices.
Syria isn't an oil state so if we don't jump in and potentially ignite a regional or global war it won't have a huge effect. Until Obama started beating the war drums this week oil prices hadn't shot up over the conflict.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
This is not his fault.
That's bullshit.

Obama has been too lazy to lay the groundwork for the kind of coalition he thought -- as he always does -- would magically flock to him after he made his intentions known. He has pissed off our traditional allies and his weakness and utter ineptitude on the world stage have made it easy for countries to thumb their nose at him when he asks them to step into yet another potential clusterfuck.

Bush, like him or not, did the grunt work of personally working foreign leaders and convincing them to go along and support his policies. Obama thinks he's above all that and now he's paying the price when all the support he can get is from his fellow Communist in France.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Syria isn't an oil state so if we don't jump in and potentially ignite a regional or global war it won't have a huge effect. Until Obama started beating the war drums this week oil prices hadn't shot up over the conflict.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23879213

In recent days, the price of oil has surged to a six-month high. A barrel of Brent crude jumped 6% to $117 on Wednesday, and compares with less than $100 a barrel as recently as June.

Analysts from the bank Societe Generale suggest the price could eventually surge to $125 if air strikes are launched, and $150 a barrel if the military action disrupts production in the region.

That would be beyond the all-time high of $147 a barrel seen at the height of the financial crisis in 2008.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch has forecast a spike in oil prices of $120-$130 a barrel.

This is despite the fact that Syria's oil production itself is negligible to the global market.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
It's hilarious to me that many of the same people that supported Bush and the ridiculous war in Iraq are suddenly against this because Obama is in charge. I mean, I'm glad that people are against this, because there is absolutely no reason why America should be involved but it's sad that the only reason many of them are against it is because it's Obama/ a democrat making the call. If this was George Bush, a lot of the same people that are against it now would be all about it.

It works both ways, there are probably a lot of Dem's who are in favor of it just because it's their guy making the call, and that's why I hate with a passion American politics.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I like how Obama is trying to sell this as a threat to national security. What a load of shit.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
WMD'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN SYRIA!!!!!!

RUN FO YO LIVE'S!!!

They seriously expect us to buy this bullshit again?

The sociopaths that make billions on war must be on the white house hotline bitching that we need to drop more bombs so they can make more bombs to sell us.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It's hilarious to me that many of the same people that supported Bush and the ridiculous war in Iraq are suddenly against this because Obama is in charge. I mean, I'm glad that people are against this, because there is absolutely no reason why America should be involved but it's sad that the only reason many of them are against it is because it's Obama/ a democrat making the call. If this was George Bush, a lot of the same people that are against it now would be all about it.

It works both ways, there are probably a lot of Dem's who are in favor of it just because it's their guy making the call, and that's why I hate with a passion American politics.
This is true. And from what I can tell there is more proof of Syria using chemical WMD than what Bush produced to justify invading Iraq.

I just think the timing is wrong and like I said earlier, we've been down the road before and we have nothing to show for it.

Iraq and Afghan wars were a huge waste of time. The only good that came out of them is we were able to take out a dictator and a premiere terrorist leader. However, as we've learned over time, taking out leaders and members of Al Qaeda is like playing whack-o-mole. You take out a key leader and the next man steps up to continue to fight. So when does it ever end?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I am surprised more Republicans aren't on board, considering Syria is supposedly one of the places where Saddam teleported all of his WMDs before we got into Iraq.

There's no way backing Al Qaeda afilliated rebels against an established government could come back to bite us though, right?

1bigfan13

Staff member
I am surprised more Republicans aren't on board, considering Syria is supposedly one of the places where Saddam teleported all of his WMDs before we got into Iraq.

There's no way backing Al Qaeda afilliated rebels against an established government could come back to bite us though, right?
Couldn't hurt. That Tim Osman guy seems pretty trustworthy.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
The only good that came out of them is we were able to take out a dictator
The sad things is, besides never finding these supposed WMD's, is that we took out Saddam in what, the first six months? And we stayed for over a decade.

Thousands of Americans died for literally NO REASON. And we're going to do it all over again.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

While I agree that most of this is political and for party affiliation reasons, some of it has to do with where we are as a country.

Before everyone was like YA KILL SOME PEOPLE CAUSE 9/11!!

At this point we are broke, wore out and thousands of our soldiers are dead. I think the passion to kill some Arabs has lessoned and the mood has turned.

Top Bottom