Super Bowl LV Chatter Thread | Bucs/Chiefs

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The game almost always ends at a reasonable time (esp for fans not living in the Eastern Time Zone ), so work is usually not an issue. The hardcore fans will of course stay home and watch the game, but Saturday night gives casual fans options they don't have on Sunday night.
Try and explain it away all you want, but Saturday would easily bring more viewership.

Cotton

Staff member
so why haven't they done it yet? certainly it's occurred to them by now.
My guess would be the TV contract shit.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
My guess would be the TV contract shit.
contracts have been negotiated many times over the years and still no Sat night game. why would they object to a game that would allegedly bring them higher ratings and more ad revenue?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
contracts have been negotiated many times over the years and still no Sat night game. why would they object to a game that would allegedly bring them higher ratings and more ad revenue?
Boomers being in charge that lack forward thinking to see it would bring in more viewership.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Boomers being in charge that lack forward thinking to see it would bring in more viewership.
I don't think it has anything to do with Boomers or whatever. Just tradition. Professional football has always been a Sunday game. Look how long it took to get Monday night football. Then they eventually brought Thursday night football. Because sooner or later, money talks.

I think we will eventually see a Saturday evening Super Bowl.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Boomers like money, last I checked. On Sunday night, there’s simply not a lot to do besides stay home and watch TV. Saturday night, not so much.

Cotton

Staff member
Boomers like money, last I checked. On Sunday night, there’s simply not a lot to do besides stay home and watch TV. Saturday night, not so much.
How much is there less to do on Sunday versus Saturday? All of those same businesses are open on Sunday.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
How much is there less to do on Sunday versus Saturday? All of those same businesses are open on Sunday.
I said night. You're typically not at any of those businesses late on Sunday. You don't think a bar or restaurant pulls in more on a Sunday, do you?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't think it has anything to do with Boomers or whatever. Just tradition. Professional football has always been a Sunday game. Look how long it took to get Monday night football. Then they eventually brought Thursday night football. Because sooner or later, money talks.

I think we will eventually see a Saturday evening Super Bowl.
I dont know how much it has changed but in 2018 Goodell was asked about Saturday vs Sunday. He said it was about ratings then but you arent going to lose the viewers to other activities. The Super Bowl is ingrained into our culture. Its about change. Nobody likes it but it works the same way. Those casual fans are still going to watch. Kids will be able to watch the whole thing. The Mondays after wont have as many people calling in sick.

It just makes too much sense but that will probably be the reason that it will never happen.

Cotton

Staff member
I said night. You're typically not at any of those businesses late on Sunday. You don't think a bar or restaurant pulls in more on a Sunday, do you?
Are you thinking that bars would pull in less money on a Saturday versus Sunday for the SB? Really?

Cotton

Staff member
The Super Bowl is ingrained into our culture.
I talk to so many people that I know don't watch a single game during the season that watch the SB. The casual fan would watch even more if it were on Saturday.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Are you thinking that bars would pull in less money on a Saturday versus Sunday for the SB? Really?
They'd pull in more money with or without the SB because people can stay out later. The NFL wants you home watching the game, not in a bar with a 1,000 other people.

Cotton

Staff member
They'd pull in more money with or without the SB because people can stay out later.
This 100% makes my point. What are you talking about?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This 100% makes my point. What are you talking about?
What point? My point is that the NFL wants as many people at home watching the game, not at a bar, restaurant or movie theater where the game might not be on. And if it is on at a bar, you're probably not watching the ads because it's too loud, or you're too drunk or you're trying to get laid. Sunday night eliminates most of those obstacles.

Cotton

Staff member
What point? My point is that the NFL wants as many people at home watching the game, not at a bar, restaurant or movie theater where the game might not be on. And if it is on at a bar, you're probably not watching the ads because it's too loud, or you're too drunk or you're trying to get laid. Sunday night eliminates most of those obstacles.
They don't give a fuck who actually watches the commercials. They want TV sets tuned to the game. That's what determines ratings which is all they care about. 15 TVs on in a bar beats 1 TV on at a watch party.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
They don't give a fuck who actually watches the commercials. They want TV sets tuned to the game. That's what determines ratings which is all they care about. 15 TVs on in a bar beats 1 TV on at a watch party.
They don't care about ad revenue? Ohhhkay. And they know that many more TV sets will be tuned to the game if people stay home.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They don't care about ad revenue? Ohhhkay. And they know that many more TV sets will be tuned to the game if people stay home.
Come on, now. You're just being obtuse with this response. Iamtdg mentioned 15 TVs at a bar vs 1 at home. They have ZERO way of tracking how many people actually watch the ads. But they can track how many TVs those ads are played on.

Top Bottom