Sturm: Sorting Through the Cowboys Draft Plans

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Yes but DE is an even bigger need beyond this season.
I agree that DT is huge need, but we have to give Mazi another year to develop. You take a DT in the first round and your basically throwing last years pick away. I focus this draft on pumping up the Oline and the run game. Its a great draft for that and we can do it all where we are drafting.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I agree that DT is huge need, but we have to give Mazi another year to develop. You take a DT in the first round and your basically throwing last years pick away.
Last year's pick was most likely already thrown away. You can't let that cause you to make another mistake.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Last year's pick was most likely already thrown away. You can't let that cause you to make another mistake.
I agree that Mazi is probably going to bust. Cant fill every hole this year so Im taking a flyer on Mazi and giving him the chance. The odds of Jerry using another first rounder on DT are slim and none. Plus drafting at 24 your not going get a great one. Center you can get a blue chip pro bowler ready to roll first year. Now if you can get Sweat dropping to the 5th round because of his DUI then take him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that DT is huge need, but we have to give Mazi another year to develop. You take a DT in the first round and your basically throwing last years pick away. I focus this draft on pumping up the Oline and the run game. Its a great draft for that and we can do it all where we are drafting.
Isn't Osa a free agent after this year?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
End not DT.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Could we field a starting OL in September if we don't draft one?

I don't think so, not a good one that is with journeymen at LT and C.

DE is not a lot better, with Parsons (miscast), Lawrence (tired), Williams, Golston, and Fehoku-- but there are serviceable starters who could use more depth to support them.

With free agency we are basically effed if we don't draft a starting OL, barring a trade

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
DE is not a lot better, with Parsons (miscast), Lawrence (tired), Williams, Golston, and Fehoku-- but there are serviceable starters who could use more depth to support them.
You somehow make having 2 probowl DEs sound like shit.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
For my money, Im taking Barton or JPJ. If neither are there I trade back, get an extra 3rd and take Frazier. We have to get one the top 3 blue chip centers.
Sir, obviously you haven't been watching the Brock Hoffman hype videos.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I believe he is. I started watching some tapes of Murphy from Texas. If he is there are 24 then he is definitely a guy we have to consider.
No chance in hell he makes it. Sorry.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For my money, Im taking Barton or JPJ. If neither are there I trade back, get an extra 3rd and take Frazier. We have to get one the top 3 blue chip centers.
Barton likely won’t be there either.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Barton likely won’t be there either.
Well we had barton and blew it. Love the deal we got in the trade back, but if we dont get a top center this line will struggle. NO way is some scrub Hoffman going to anchor the center of our line. guyton is also a bit of a project.

Only thing they can do to make this a homerun by trading up 10 spots or so up the 2nd round with one of our 3rds to nab either JPJ or Frazier.

Pitt, Miami, Philly all draft right in front of us in the 2nd round and they all need centers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well we had barton and blew it. Love the deal we got in the trade back, but if we dont get a top center this line will struggle. NO way is some scrub Hoffman going to anchor the center of our line. guyton is also a bit of a project.

Only thing they can do to make this a homerun by trading up 10 spots or so up the 2nd round with one of our 3rds to nab either JPJ or Frazier.

Pitt, Miami, Philly all draft right in front of us in the 2nd round and they all need centers.
They drafted the Nebraska center like 2 years ago in the second round. I don't think the Eagles are dead set in center.

Top Bottom