Sturm/Machota: Cowboys conversation - First-round defensive options that make the most sense for Dallas

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
OMG he said Karlaftis over Davis ... god these people are retarded
People are desperate for pass rushers, and not everyone understands that defensive pressure and dominance starts in the middle.

You don't turn a UDFA like James Harrison into a star without a stud like Casey Hampton to seal the middle. That dude created so much pressure all on his own-- ignore his career 9 sacks in 13 seasons because the stat is utterly meaningless.

I like Karlaftis, but players like Davis don't come around very often.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
People are desperate for pass rushers, and not everyone understands that defensive pressure and dominance starts in the middle.

You don't turn a UDFA like James Harrison into a star without a stud like Casey Hampton to seal the middle. That dude created so much pressure all on his own-- ignore his career 9 sacks in 13 seasons because the stat is utterly meaningless.

I like Karlaftis, but players like Davis don't come around very often.
Davis is just a rare physical freak. Sure DE is more valuable than NT. But Davis is a rare talent at NT that you don't see every year. Karlaftis is a really good DE but those are in the first every year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This:

Not only do I think Davis would help Parsons and the rest of the linebackers run free and improve the team’s overall run defense, but I think it would elevate the play of the rest of the defensive line, adding a defensive tackle that could draw double teams. Neville Gallimore is a solid-to-good player and I think the same could be expected from Osa Odighizuwa. But to have the type of game-wrecker that Davis could be, that would be tough to pass. It’s been a while since Dallas has had a guy like that in the middle.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
This:

Not only do I think Davis would help Parsons and the rest of the linebackers run free and improve the team’s overall run defense, but I think it would elevate the play of the rest of the defensive line, adding a defensive tackle that could draw double teams. Neville Gallimore is a solid-to-good player and I think the same could be expected from Osa Odighizuwa. But to have the type of game-wrecker that Davis could be, that would be tough to pass. It’s been a while since Dallas has had a guy like that in the middle.
He will never make it to us but that is exactly why he is the only player I would move up for.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He will never make it to us but that is exactly why he is the only player I would move up for.
Yeah, I just hate trading up. I really do. I love making draft picks too much to want to give capital away like that. But I agree, if Dallas had actually plugged their holes and were free in the draft. Davis looks like the type of special dude to me worth trading up for.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
From what I've read about Travis Jones, sounds like he would be a good 2nd or 3rd rounder. Not as dominant as Davis, but a good NT with some pass rush ability as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I've read about Travis Jones, sounds like he would be a good 2nd or 3rd rounder. Not as dominant as Davis, but a good NT with some pass rush ability as well.
He is excellent, I think he will be long gone by our second pick. Just a guess.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He is excellent, I think he will be long gone by our second pick. Just a guess.
There is a chance he'll be there with folks like Zachary Carter, DeMarvin Leal, Perrion Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis , and of course Devonte Wyatt also around. At that point there is a lot of personal bias and a ton of other good players at other positions. The floor for any of those guys is about the same as Neville Gallimore.

My fear is not that he won't be there, but that we'll get the arrogant little Jerry Jones head nod to the players we have in Hill and Gallimore.

Teams focus on DE's and pass rushers, while ignoring for 20 years how the Pats, Steelers, and Packers keep winning with big, smart, tough players that give their QB's opportunities when they need them most.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a chance he'll be there with folks like Zachary Carter, DeMarvin Leal, Perrion Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis , and of course Devonte Wyatt also around.
I'd be surprised but anything is possible. Travis Jones is my second favorite DT in this class right there with Winfrey. I think the NFL likes Wyatt more than me though. I'll be surprised if he doesn't go in the first round. Leal is a guy I think should be lower than Jones and Winfrey but probably the next DT. Zachary Carter still isn't on my radar after that. He is more of a DE/DT tweener. And if I'm doing that I like Logan Hall better. But a real 3-4 team might like Carter as a DE and take him higher than I think.

Bruglar has Carter as like his 27th DE and a sixth rounder for example though. But I guess that's the fun part of the draft. Everyone's draft boards look different.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In 2021 a whole 2 DT's went before and including pick 56, compared with 8 DE's, 8 CB's, and 8 WRs.

In 2020, it was 4 total DTs.

In 2019 though, it was 6 -- and all in the first round (before Dallas took Trysten Hill at 58). But 2019 was an unusually strong year for DT's.

2018 it was back to 3 (though another was taken one pick outside the range at 57).

2017 it was 3, including Dalvin Tomlinson going at 55.

Bottom line, I'm thinking there's a good chance.

Top Bottom