Sturm/Machota: Cowboys conversation - First-round defensive options that make the most sense for Dallas

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ATHENS, GA - NOVEMBER 6: Jordan Davis #99 tackles Tyler Badie #1 during a game between Missouri Tigers and Georgia Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium on November 6, 2021 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo by Steven Limentani/ISI Photos/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota and Bob Sturm 43m ago

During a Cowboys conversation last week, The Athletic’s Jon Machota and Bob Sturm discussed all of the offensive possibilities for Dallas with the 24th overall pick. Machota and Sturm now take a look at what makes the most sense from a defensive perspective.

Machota: Scrolling through the list of the Cowboys’ official 30 pre-draft visitors, there were some surprises. And one of them was Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis. Not that there’s anything wrong with Davis, he makes a lot of sense if he’s still available at 24. It’s just that we haven’t seen the Cowboys draft a defensive tackle in the first round since Russell Maryland in 1991. I’d be just fine with Davis being the pick. Do you think Cowboys fans should be thrilled if he’s the guy they end up drafting in the first round?

Sturm: He’s obviously a very unique player. If you’re the Cowboys, and more specifically defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, are you looking for a very unique player to sort of put this over the top? Because if you are, there’s no question that this is a guy who is a force of nature. Everything they say about the guy is true. He’s 6-6, 350 pounds and he even has a pass-rush component to his game. He certainly is a dominant player. The issue, of course, would be how much he’s been used. Even at Georgia, he did not play anything close to full-time. There are some elements to his game that would give you a little pause, but I think you probably go back to: Do I trust Dan Quinn or not? And another element to this that I think is worth debating is what would he do to the linebacker play?

If Micah Parsons is this good without anyone letting him run free, what would a player like Jordan Davis do to occupy guys up front to allow your linebackers to just run and feed? I said earlier in the draft season that I don’t think he’s Vita Vea (Buccaneers Pro Bowl DT who was the 12th overall pick in 2018), because I don’t think Vita Vea is duplicated anywhere, and I think he has more pass-rush ability and more mobility and even more conditioning, more higher snap usage available. But if you want to talk about a force of nature with a motor, that’s a first-round player there in Davis. He’s special, unique and I think at 24, that would be a pretty nice get.

Machota: I’m glad you mentioned linebacker because of the linebackers on their 30-visit list, the only one I thought would be a consideration at 24 is Devin Lloyd out of Utah. For me, I’d rather they take Jordan Davis over Lloyd, if it comes down to that. Not only do I think Davis would help Parsons and the rest of the linebackers run free and improve the team’s overall run defense, but I think it would elevate the play of the rest of the defensive line, adding a defensive tackle that could draw double teams. Neville Gallimore is a solid-to-good player and I think the same could be expected from Osa Odighizuwa. But to have the type of game-wrecker that Davis could be, that would be tough to pass. It’s been a while since Dallas has had a guy like that in the middle. Where would you go if it came down to Davis or Lloyd?

Sturm: I agree with you. I would go Jordan Davis there. I like Devin Lloyd. He’s a very fine football player. I like Nakobe Dean from Georgia more, and I would caution us to consider that there might be a smokescreen here because I kind of see Lloyd as a guy who might play a little more of Parsons’ spot. He’s a very good athlete. He can rush from the edge, he can play all three downs. There’s a lot to like about Lloyd. But it feels slightly more redundant than a guy like Dean. I would also tell people that when you look at your first-round pick, you have to look at what you currently have in the cupboard.

And what you currently have is another year of Leighton Vander Esch and maybe even more exciting is Jabril Cox. I know he’s coming off a knee injury, but with his speed and his ability to get sideline to sideline, I kind of like their investment in last year’s draft. To me, unless I’m getting a real difference-maker I don’t think I want to use a top-100 pick on another linebacker, just from an asset allocation standpoint. I’d rather look at that line and then I’d look at safety before I’d come back to linebacker. But if Dan Quinn is pounding the table for Lloyd, that would be quite a persuasive argument, to say the least.

Machota: Let’s talk about the edge rushers. It didn’t help the Cowboys’ chances of getting one of this year’s top pass-rushing prospects when Michigan’s David Ojabo injured his Achilles at his pro day last month. He’s expected to miss the start of the 2022 season. With him likely out of consideration, most mock drafts have him projected to go early second round, I think the only other possibilities would be Florida State’s Jermaine Johnson or Purdue’s George Karlaftis. Both are projected to go between 10 and 20, but maybe one of them falls into Dallas’ lap. I think the edge rusher position is so valuable that if either of those guys are there, I think that should be the pick. Do you feel the same way?

Sturm: Karlaftis is absolutely a stud. I realize he’s been dinged a little bit for some testing scores. His wingspan and arm length are not quite what people are looking for, but this kid is a dynamic athlete. I saw a lot of that when he was at Purdue. He’s just a real infectious worker. I don’t have any issue with him at 24. In fact, that might be one of the pound-the-table-type guys. He’s very strong, strong hands, a pure power player. He’s a real force against the run and yet his pass rush moves are pretty well developed. Where is he not great? There’s a little bit of stiffness and a little game conditioning in terms of did he make huge plays late in the game as much as early or was he sort of punched out three hours into his day? I think that’s where you get into the NFL game and the NFL weight room and even the rotation usage at the NFL level that maybe Purdue did not have available for him. Maybe he was playing too many snaps.

Jermaine Johnson has been a little more of an acquired taste for me because I liked him, but I wasn’t sure I loved him until we got to the workouts and kind of saw the type of player he is. He is a one-year player at Florida State after a couple of years at Georgia. Almost like Alabama wide receiver Jameson Williams, who transferred from Ohio State, this is just maybe finding a good fit somewhere where they really cut you loose, because Johnson’s year at Florida State was just wonderful. He checks all the boxes. He was great at the Senior Bowl. I think there is something to go with there. For me, it’s the quiet stretches that bothered me a little bit. But when you look at his full body of work, you say this is probably what we’re looking for, especially with his pass rush. The Dante Fowler signing does sort of provide the Cowboys a year ramping up of maybe a more project-type edge rusher. I don’t know if that would talk me into Ojabo with their second-round pick, but with Fowler, kind of like with Keanu Neal or Damontae Kazee last year, you can sort of hedge your draft pick bets a little bit by having that one year player in front of your rookie and therefore you’re not putting everything on your rookie. Your thoughts?

George Karlaftis (Marc Lebryk / USA Today)

Machota: I agree with that. I found it interesting that none of their 30 pre-draft visitors are first-round type edge rushers. They’re guys they’d likely be targeting in the second round or later. But if Johnson or Karlaftis somehow fell to 24, they don’t need a 30 visit, I think they’d be comfortable there like they were two years ago when CeeDee Lamb fell to them at 17. Having Dante Fowler for a year is great, but if you can get one of those guys at 24, you have to make that move. But to your point, Fowler is good protection in case they don’t find any immediate edge-rushing help in this draft class. In regards to Ojabo, I’d be all about drafting him if he fell to Pick 56. I think there’s a ton of upside there, as long as they feel good about the medical checks on his injury. And that just fits with how the Cowboys have done business in the past in the second round, whether it be with Jaylon Smith in 2016 or Sean Lee in 2010. The Cowboys have proven that they like taking chances on guys in the second round that have fallen because of an injury or off-field situation.

I don’t see much of a need to get into defensive backs at 24 just because of what they have on the current roster and the other areas they’d likely value over corner or safety this year in the first round. And I believe they’re going offense at 24 anyway, probably offensive line or wide receiver. But if they were going to go defense, of all the names we just discussed, which would be your pick? For me, it would be Johnson or Karlaftis just because of the value I put on edge rusher. But what about for you?
Sturm: Would you say Johnson and Karlaftis over Jordan Davis?

Machota: I would. Yes.

Sturm: If I had to pick a guy it would probably be Karlaftis, then Davis and then Johnson. Those three would please me the most on defense, unless Dallas utilizes that smokescreen and takes Dean. That is an exciting player. I can’t imagine having him and Micah Parsons joined at the hip for the next several years. You’re talking Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright. You’re talking Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis type stuff. That would be phenomenal.

Machota: If they took Dean or Lloyd there at 24, that would make me think there’s probably a little more edge rushing for Parsons in Year 2. Would you feel the same way?

Sturm: Yeah, I would. And I’d be cool with that. Not that it would be a positional move, but one where they feel good enough that the linebacker position is well taken care of so that they can go pedal to the metal on putting Parsons wherever they want for any given situation. That would be pretty exciting to me. I tend to agree with you as far as the secondary, but if they did roll back and say the deep safety position with Dax Hill from Michigan or Lewis Cine from Georgia or Jalen Pitre from Baylor, those are top-50 guys to me and I could be very pleased with any of them. In the past when we’ve looked at defense, we’ve often been frustrated that the Cowboys have a very predictable and frankly somewhat boring approach to their defensive personnel. I want to say with Quinn and Parsons, now we’re thinking they could literally look at any of these game-changing defenders and make it work because now we’ve seen it done. So it’s a little more exciting to consider defense in 2022, yet I think I agree with you that as far as asset allocation on Days 1 and 2, we should expect almost all the picks, if not all, are most likely going to go to the offensive side of the ball.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd take Davis over Karlaftis, but I do think Karlaftis would be my top choice over the OL/WR's.

I'd take Johnson as well over the offensive players but I don't think we have to worry about him being around.

The real question to me is Karlaftis vs. Devin Lloyd, that's the real difficult one for me, but it's probably more just a theoretical discussion since I'd be pretty shocked if they were both there unless 3-4 QB's go before 24.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We are going to wedge the offense for the first round, if not two as well. I am not wasting my time dreaming of a defensive pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We are going to wedge the offense for the first round, if not two as well. I am not wasting my time dreaming of a defensive pick.
Yea I don't think there's any chance unless Davis or Lloyd drop, I'd be pretty surprised if we took Karlaftis/Dean because...length. I'd put Jermaine Johnson in that first group as well but I think he's the least likely to drop given the positional value of edge rushers.

If either Davis or Lloyd are there I honestly do believe that they will be very strongly considered, if not outright favorites.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The real question to me is Karlaftis vs. Devin Lloyd, that's the real difficult one for me, but it's probably more just a theoretical discussion since I'd be pretty shocked if they were both there unless 3-4 QB's go before 24.
This is easy for me, Karlaftis over Lloyd. I like Lloyd but I don't think he will be the impact player Karlaftis would be. But I think he could very much be a Barr type player. DEs are just way more important than LBers not named Parsons. So if the players are close I go DE.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is easy for me, Karlaftis over Lloyd. I like Lloyd but I don't think he will be the impact player Karlaftis would be. But I think he could very much be a Barr type player.
I also lean Karlaftis, it's just one of the inflection points in terms of the different tiers of guys that get me thinking.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also lean Karlaftis, it's just one of the inflection points in terms of the different tiers of guys that get me thinking.
If you think they are similar level talents DE is just a bigger need and more important position. Now if you think Lloyd is a star and Karlaftis is just solid, then take the star.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you think they are similar level talents DE is just a bigger need and more important position. Now if you think Lloyd is a star and Karlaftis is just solid, then take the star.
Karlaftis’ trajectory seems top of the 2nd to me at the moment.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah and he may very well go there. Every year there are guys we think that will go highly who don't. And then some team picks them and they end up being a steal. And every year there are guys who go much higher than we expect and we all sit here scratching our heads. If Karlaftis goes second round, I think he is a steal. If he goes top 15, it's where he should go in my opinion.

Lloyd seems to be falling a bit too. At one point he was a sure top 15 pick. But he ran kind of shitty for a safety convert whose game is based on speed. And now both him and Dean don't seem to be so sure in the top 15. So it's interesting. It could just be smokescreens or whatever. Or we will see them drop on draft day and whoever gets them gets a really good player.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That doesn't mean as much to me in terms of this class though, there's just so much disparity and lack of consensus that someone's 15th ranked player could be another team's 40th ranked, and vice versa.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah and he may very well go there. Every year there are guys we think that will go highly who don't. And then some team picks them and they end up being a steal. And every year there are guys who go much higher than we expect and we all sit here scratching our heads. If Karlaftis goes second round, I think he is a steal. If he goes top 15, it's where he should go in my opinion.

Lloyd seems to be falling a bit too. At one point he was a sure top 15 pick. But he ran kind of shitty for a safety convert whose game is based on speed. And now both him and Dean don't seem to be so sure in the top 15. So it's interesting. It could just be smokescreens or whatever. Or we will see them drop on draft day and whoever gets them gets a really good player.
Lloyd didn't go insane in the 40 but 4.66 at 235 is plenty fine. I guess if you're talking about making a decision in the top 10 that could put you off some but that wouldn't even factor in for me at 24.

I watched enough of him to know that he has plenty of play speed, which is basically a combination of pure physical speed plus their ability to process the game, even if he doesn't have the pure elite timed speed.

I think Lloyd is a very slightly better prospect than Karlaftis but given the positional value I lean Karlaftis, but it's so close that I might go the other way tomorrow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Lloyd is a very slightly better prospect than Karlaftis but given the positional value I lean Karlaftis, but it's so close that I might go the other way tomorrow.
And that's what I struggle with a little. I think mentally in my head I include position value when I think of these things. I mean how do you grade the impact in your head of a LBer vs. a DE? I start thinking about it and I automatically think if these are both probowl players than it's easy, you take the DE all day. So positional value is almost already built into my thinking. Lloyd is a really good LBer prospect but in my head I just don't value a LBer that highly who isn't a Parsons type who is just physical as hell and a freak. Lloyd isn't going to bring the physical presence like a Parsons does. Now he can certainly blitz, has length and covers well. All great attributes to pair with Parsons. So I have no problem with him but unless you're one of the few best LBers in the NFL, the rest are just kind of all the same to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And that's what I struggle with a little. I think mentally in my head I include position value when I think of these things. I mean how do you grade the impact in your head of a LBer vs. a DE? I start thinking about it and I automatically think if these are both probowl players than it's easy, you take the DE all day. So positional value is almost already built into my thinking. Lloyd is a really good LBer prospect but in my head I just don't value a LBer that highly who isn't a Parsons type who is just physical as hell and a freak. Lloyd isn't going to bring the physical presence like a Parsons does. Now he can certainly blitz, has length and covers well. All great attributes to pair with Parsons. So I have no problem with him but unless you're one of the few best LBers in the NFL, the rest are just kind of all the same to me.
Lloyd is very physical and aggressive when attacking downhill, probably not quite the physical presence that Parsons is just because he's not quite as big/explosive, but he's very physical. He's also excellent as a blitzer, again, nowhere near Parsons, but Parsons is a likely generational player.

Lloyd is probably one of the better blitzing LB's to come out over the last 5 years.

So with all that said, I think he'd provide similar value because he'd allow Parsons to pass rush more while also being a threat as a blitzer himself. Of course the Karlaftis fit is more traditional given our need at edge rusher, and obviously you can continue to bring Parsons on blitzes/off the edge as you see fit.

That's the gist of why I go back and forth between him and Karlaftis.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lloyd is very physical and aggressive when attacking downhill, probably not quite the physical presence that Parsons is just because he's not quite as big/explosive, but he's very physical. He's also excellent as a blitzer, again, nowhere near Parsons, but Parsons is a likely generational player.

Lloyd is probably one of the better blitzing LB's to come out over the last 5 years.

So with all that said, I think he'd provide similar value because he'd allow Parsons to pass rush more while also being a threat as a blitzer himself. Of course the Karlaftis fit is more traditional given our need at edge rusher, and obviously you can continue to bring Parsons on blitzes/off the edge as you see fit.

That's the gist of why I go back and forth between him and Karlaftis.
And this is what I love about the draft. Two people can look at the same guy and have different opinions. I don't see a guy who is overly physical in nature. You ask Parsons to bull rush an OT and that dude will do it. Lloyd isn't physical in that sense. He isn't going to bully a guy. He is more slippery to me. He tackles extremely well but he isn't going to run through a guy head on in a tackle. He will hit a guy hard sometimes but the tackles don't look that physical to me.

And none of that by the way is to say he isn't a great LBer prospect. He really is. And he isn't an idiot tackler the way Jaylon Smith was. Jaylon Smith would go for the woo hit and forget to wrap up. Lloyd in my opinion does a good job with his long arms to wrap dudes up. And it also helps him tremendously in coverage to bat passes.

Basically if you're comparing him to Parsons, he is no Parsons. But Parsons looks like a generational talent and it's not a fair comparison to make. I think Lloyd is a really good LBer who absolutely belongs in the first round. And dude is slippery as a pass rusher which I think will make him very good at blitzing at the next level. I've said it before, but he is a skinnier Anthony Barr to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And this is what I love about the draft. Two people can look at the same guy and have different opinions. I don't see a guy who is overly physical in nature. You ask Parsons to bull rush an OT and that dude will do it. Lloyd isn't physical in that sense. He isn't going to bully a guy. He is more slippery to me. He tackles extremely well but he isn't going to run through a guy head on in a tackle. He will hit a guy hard sometimes but the tackles don't look that physical to me.

And none of that by the way is to say he isn't a great LBer prospect. He really is. And he isn't an idiot tackler the way Jaylon Smith was. Jaylon Smith would go for the woo hit and forget to wrap up. Lloyd in my opinion does a good job with his long arms to wrap dudes up. And it also helps him tremendously in coverage to bat passes.

Basically if you're comparing him to Parsons, he is no Parsons. But Parsons looks like a generational talent and it's not a fair comparison to make. I think Lloyd is a really good LBer who absolutely belongs in the first round. And dude is slippery as a pass rusher which I think will make him very good at blitzing at the next level. I've said it before, but he is a skinnier Anthony Barr to me.
Yea, there's basically no precedent for a guy like Parsons who could be a Pro Bowl "off-ball" LB or Pro Bowl 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE, so it's unfair to even make the comparison.

Even the best blitzing LB's in the league (Bobby Wagner, Devin White, Darius Leonard, etc.) can't do what Parsons does and don't have the same pass-rush nuance/hand use/physicality to be able to rush 1-on-1 consistently vs. OT's.

So when I say Lloyd is physical I mean in a traditional LB sense, in terms of attacking ball-carriers in the box, aggressively flowing downhill to stop the run and so forth. I think with Parsons/Lloyd we'd basically have the best LB duo in the league, something akin to what Seattle had in Wagner/Wright but even better given the pass rush you get from Parsons.

It'd be a rare pairing given how Lloyd is also a very good blitzer (I wouldn't be surprised at all if he puts up 6-8 sacks at some point his career) but is also reliable playing the run and pass. I wouldn't be as sold on it if not for Parsons' ability to edge rush because it'd be too much allocated to the LB position, but ultimately a guy like Lloyd only frees up Parsons and adds to our pass rush.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So many words. It's like I stepped into a Sturm article.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Another big thing about Lloyd are his instincts against the pass, 4 INT's this year and on a few of them he baited the QB's into it by making it seem like the target was being ignored. That's rare stuff from an LB.

AAron_Burr8

LoL Troll
If Davis is still there at 24 you sprint the fucking card up there. He is a top 5 player in this draft class. He is a freak athlete who pops on tape and wrecked shop in big games. I think there is 0 chance he will be there, he won't make it past the top 15.

I would prefer the iowa center over karlaftis, Dallas needs to fix the line and Lindenbaum is plug and play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even the best blitzing LB's in the league (Bobby Wagner, Devin White, Darius Leonard, etc.) can't do what Parsons does and don't have the same pass-rush nuance/hand use/physicality to be able to rush 1-on-1 consistently vs. OT's.
Actually now that I think about it more I think Leonard is exactly who he reminds me of. Just a great play maker. His arms aren't as freaky long as Darius Leonards are (34 and a half inches basically at 6'2") but they are long. Similar 40 yard times but way better playing speed.

Top Bottom